Tubeless on the road

Popit

I had exactly the same issue with the same combination a few weeks ago. In the end I gave up and went to my lbs to get the to help out, but feeling a bit embarrassed.

I did the same once.

Felt less embarrassed when I saw them struggling too. :D

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

garage pump wont work with the core in, not without some sort of adapter.

Giant Gavia tyres matter to Giant P-R2 wheels

Might be that I didnt clean the tyre properly, I cleaned the rims pretty good and didnt see any damage.

It sounds like you're not allowing the tyre time to seat properly. the Gavia tyre seats easily on any tubeless rim.

I'd suggest you start from scratch. Remove the tyre and clean the bead. Clean the rim bead area as well.

Refit and inflate till the tyre makes a violent popping sound. then its seated. now remove the valve core and refill with sealant.

PS: as far as tool bags go I use the Lyne Components triangle Storage box mounted to a Holy Rail and it sits in the corner of my frame between Down tube and seat tube where its unobtrusive and makes the bike look more aero

garage pump wont work with the core in, not without some sort of adapter.

Giant Gavia tyres matter to Giant P-R2 wheels

Might be that I didnt clean the tyre properly, I cleaned the rims pretty good and didnt see any damage.

Not sure if these rims have spoke holes or not, but if they do, replace the tape and try again. I've found that when reseating old/used tubeless tyres, newly fitted tape that hasn't been fully compressed yet can really help to get the bead seated even with just a track pump.

So many of my road tubeless headaches came down to using the incorrect rim tape. Gorilla/duct/woven tape cannot handle the pressure of road tubeless and can tear. Plastic tape if not wide enough to run from hook to hook and pressed down by the bead, can lift up inside the rim. It also makes unseating the bead much harder and the tape will almost always bunch up during the process. Since switching to 25mm tape (21mm ID rims), I can pop the tyres on/off in a few minutes; still not something I'd want to do on the side of the road tho, as I have to use tyre jacks since they're so damn tight.

Edited by cairbre

I've said it many times before. Go get some Schwalbe Pro Ones and some Orange Sealant and forget your frustrations and punctures.

I had them for a year and a half on American Classic Victory 30's and since December on my SLR Giant wheels.

I need to check the spare inner tube that I carry because it has been folded up in my tool bag for more than 2 years now

Have been running the Conti GP 5000 tubeless for a few months now. Once fitted onto the rim, it was very easy to seat. Pumped it to 5 bar and the tyre just folded into place, no pop. I used Stans, but the tyre loses pressure overnight as pointed out so I will try the Orange Seal.

On the road I was surprised by how loud the tyres sound. Its hollowness just amplifies road noise but I like it. It rolls nice and fast too. Upgraded from Maxxis Detonator so to me it makes a huge difference.

The Conti has an extra layer for puncture protection and you can feel the squishiness of that layer when the pressure is at about 3 bar. Have had a small piece of glass stuck in the tyre and it did not even puncture. Overall very happy so far.

I should hopefully be getting to my LBS in the next few days for a basic bike fit session (just waiting for my new pedals to arrive), will ask them to give the wheel a once over whilst there.

checked the tyre this morning and its not holding pressure, so will definitely get my LBS to give it a once over, but I want to be there when they do it. I want to know what the problem is so that I can sort it out myself going forward.

• 3 weeks later...

an update on this.

After the tyre seemed to have lost pressure over the course of a week I proceeded to pump it up to pressure again and left it for another week (being sick meant I was not going to be riding the bike), it has now maintained pressure.

Appears to be a bit hit and miss.  My Hutchinson Fusion 5 both did not last long and both got cut with less than a 1000km on each

Vittoria Corsa 2.0 I am running now are decent, but don't seem to roll very fast (or at least feels that way compared to my GP4000 clinchers I had).  They hold air well and grip well in the wet.  

Ride is a bit harsh, but think I am running my pressures to high.  Still at 7bar rear and 6.7bar front (I am about 80kg), maybe need to go closer to 6bar.

Have been running the Conti GP 5000 tubeless for a few months now. Once fitted onto the rim, it was very easy to seat. Pumped it to 5 bar and the tyre just folded into place, no pop. I used Stans, but the tyre loses pressure overnight as pointed out so I will try the Orange Seal.

On the road I was surprised by how loud the tyres sound. Its hollowness just amplifies road noise but I like it. It rolls nice and fast too. Upgraded from Maxxis Detonator so to me it makes a huge difference.

The Conti has an extra layer for puncture protection and you can feel the squishiness of that layer when the pressure is at about 3 bar. Have had a small piece of glass stuck in the tyre and it did not even puncture. Overall very happy so far.

FWIW, Conti tyres seem to like Conti sealant best.

I'm sold on Tubeless for road, wheels definitely feel like they roll better and you can run slightly lower pressures, I ride 5.5 or 6 bar.

Initially had Schwalbe Pro One EVO 28c and they were an absolute disaster with punctures and were starting to wear out quickly. Cuts so big that the sealant never worked. They did roll amazingly well though. Changed to Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm 28c and have not looked back, they seem just as fast and no punctures at all. My take on it is if local agents don't have what you are looking for at the price you would like to pay, then simply bring them in, at the moment they are half the price if you import them and even with shipping and a small amount of duties, STILL end up around 15% cheaper than what you can get locally and most bike shops still don't sell 28c.  In my opinion 28c the way to go, super comfortable and I doubt if they are any slower than 25c.

I'm sold on Tubeless for road, wheels definitely feel like they roll better and you can run slightly lower pressures, I ride 5.5 or 6 bar.

Initially had Schwalbe Pro One EVO 28c and they were an absolute disaster with punctures and were starting to wear out quickly. Cuts so big that the sealant never worked. They did roll amazingly well though. Changed to Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm 28c and have not looked back, they seem just as fast and no punctures at all. My take on it is if local agents don't have what you are looking for at the price you would like to pay, then simply bring them in, at the moment they are half the price if you import them and even with shipping and a small amount of duties, STILL end up around 15% cheaper than what you can get locally and most bike shops still don't sell 28c.  In my opinion 28c the way to go, super comfortable and I doubt if they are any slower than 25c.

Looking at my replacement options currently.

What store can you recommend?

I am currently on Schwalbe Pro One's, but happy to try the Fusion 5's.

Changed to Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm 28c and have not looked back, they seem just as fast and no punctures at all.

I had the 25C of these, both got cut pretty quickly,  Maybe was just bad luck and not bad tires

But yes, the rolled really well, pretty comfy and was quite light (think about 255g for the TLR)

Edited by Zorro5614

I've been running Continental GP5000 TL since December last year when they were launched -  I'm using Continental revosealant and I fitted them myself at home with a floor pump. So far looking at Strava I've done around 8,000 kms over 9 months with zero punctures. I'm running 25c tyres at around 80psi - makes for a smooth ride.

I've tried a set of Schwalbe's and they didn't work for me, they both got cut badly by glass in the space of a month. There is always some luck involved - but I've recommended the GP5000's to two other guys and the one has been ridding a month since switching also without any issues.

So yeah I would go as so far as to highly recommend GP5000TL with revosealant - its working well for me so far  :thumbup:

Maybe the lower the pressures are more prone to tyres cutting. I always run my tyres at 95 psi.

I wouldn't dare run them at lower than 80 psi for fear they would unseat at 80km/h down Kloof Nek!

Wow, I have had really bad luck since switching to tubeless.

Blaming luck and not the tyres at this stage because there is no way to tell how a trusty Gatorskin or my old GP4000's would have coped.

My pair of Giant Gavia AC 1 (25mm) lasted about 1000/2500km (F / R)

Giant Gavia AC2 (28mm) rear lasted 2500km.

They all suffered cuts that just sprayed sealant everywhere. no slow death, just catastrophic failure.

I did have one puncture that sealed without me knowing - other than that they have been a disaster.

On the plus side, the 28's are plush, especially with lower pressure.

They are heavy though...

It's been an expensive trial and error process. Like I say above, not sure if it's luck or the tyre (Giant or tubeless itself) and there is no way of knowing how a different tyre would have coped.

Not sure if I should try a different brand or switch back to ordinary tubed tyres (like GP5000 and Tubolito's).