YETI bikes, disgusting corporate behaviour

zeepee

Dear Sir

Sorry to feel this way.

We only got involved after Cyclic's contract was terminated due to them not fulfilling there written and agreed upon obligation.

I too have obligations, and if I do not deliver, then I too face the bullet.

We really wanted Colin to continue with the Brand, hence we reached out, however he decided to close the store and continue his flourishing and growing touring company.

Should you have any service issues on your Yeti, then please reach out to us or our National Dealers

Regards

N2

Thanks for replying, to be honest I do know that there's always three sides to a story. So I'll refrain from commenting any further, as I'm not directly involved. The whole situation has left a bitter taste and I'm severely disappointed for my friend and with the brand. I'll retract any comments deemed defamatory if I'm shown to be incorrect in making them. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you honestly expect existing customers from Cyclic to just waltz over to your new business after snaking this brand away from someone you know? and to stay loyal to the brand for allowing this to happen? 

No thanks, I think I'll rather switch brands. 

I hope you dont get a 3 line email one day saying thanks and goodbuy 

oh get over yourself already 

Do you honestly expect existing customers from Cyclic to just waltz over to your new business after snaking this brand away from someone you know? and to stay loyal to the brand for allowing this to happen? 

No thanks, I think I'll rather switch brands. 

I hope you dont get a 3 line email one day saying thanks and goodbuy

Time to take a step back

Thanks for replying, to be honest I do know that there's always three sides to a story. So I'll refrain from commenting any further, as I'm not directly involved. The whole situation has left a bitter taste and I'm severely disappointed for my friend and with the brand. I'll retract any comments deemed defamatory if I'm shown to be incorrect in making them. 

post-77543-0-82391000-1523292058_thumb.jpg

I will say this, I have seen bike brands come and go and change distributors. Trek has changed so many hands its not true. This might be one one of them. Nothing against N2.

But being said for a shop to run a brand for 12 yrs is brilliant.

I guess long weekends make Fridays come sooner!!

All I see is a brand feeling that things had stagnated and looked to increase awareness of the brand. Existing contracts had finished, new contracts with a new distribution agent were agreed after feeling that renewing contracts with old distribution would not provide the desired outcome.

New agents know the value of what old agents brought to the table with existing brand loyal clients and offered the opportunity to stay involved. For whatever reason it was turned down to pursue new adventures.

End of story and a new chapter for Yeti... which will be seen to whether be the right one or not

And on top a few emotions being aired on social media.....

Life goes on... and hopefully a new life for the Yeti brand!

yoh... this turned somewhat sour!

yeah... Nsquared being really polite took the wind out of this 'friday' thread quickly!

So Yeti bikes with fizik saddles, vittoria tires.... seems cool so far

This will probably get me some hat8jg but I don't think this is a bad thing for Yeti. Colin and the boys were su0er passionate but in 12 years they didn't exactly set SA on fire with Yeti. They created a loyal following (as can be seen from some posters here) but judging by the number of Yetis rolling in the various training groups and races I saw Morningside did not move a truck load of bikes.

NSquared has other brands on board, a national reach and deeper pockets for marketing and such.

I guess this is part of the maturing process that the SA bike industry is going through. Sad for the "little guys" and passionate independents but good for the market in the long run.

Yeah, but if Mr Z is careful and prudent, he will negotiate a fixed term agreement entrenching sole distribution rights, and he will build in renewal options that he can exercise so long as he is playing ball, growing the brand and does not fall into breach himself. And if Mr Z does not do these things, he can blame his own ineptitude when Mr Q steps into his shoes.

And nobody ever has a god given right to an ever-green contract. All good (and bad) things come to an end. The trick is to preserve what you have, while you can.

The Opening Post is emotive, abusively one sided, and, to my mind, defamatory of the Yeti brand.

Absolutely! 100% agreed.

I have however found in our business that once you need to start referring to contractual obligations that it’s often the beginning of the end.

Your second prenup is always better than the first, but that doesn’t always save the marriage ;)

I guess long weekends make Fridays come sooner!!

All I see is a brand feeling that things had stagnated and looked to increase awareness of the brand. Existing contracts had finished, new contracts with a new distribution agent were agreed after feeling that renewing contracts with old distribution would not provide the desired outcome.

New agents know the value of what old agents brought to the table with existing brand loyal clients and offered the opportunity to stay involved. For whatever reason it was turned down to pursue new adventures.

End of story and a new chapter for Yeti... which will be seen to whether be the right one or not

And on top a few emotions being aired on social media.....

Life goes on... and hopefully a new life for the Yeti brand!

Best post on this whole thread 

Damn pity, as they were probably one of the longest "agents" as an lbs. A few others have tried over the years and not succeeded. Ask me I used to own a Kona and currently own a Niner and a Yeti. My mate owns an Ellworth. It's the price we pay for owning "boutique" brands I guess.

Didn't Trek do something similar to Deon Retief some years ago?

That saw the birth of Silverback.

Reading the comments from Nsquared, it seems that Cyclic chose to pursue another business avenue rather than be forced out by yeti

Archived