Not "scammer" per se but total time waster

MTB-More

So here is the long and short of this dealing

@cristian posted a Rocky Mountain 2018 Element 50 (Advertised as 950) for 25k.

We engaged with him to want to buy and have it shipped to JHB. He then claimed he had someone else say that 25k is to little and then he should advertise it for 30k instead. 

This after we stated we would pay the asking price. He then went and upped the price and said if we are willing to pay the extra 5k he would be willing to take the bike to "Revolution Bikes" in Bree street Cape Town to box it and send it immediately.

So we reluctantly agreed that R30k is still a decent price and said to him ok we will take it. On further discussion he said he had another guy coming an he dont trust that guy so he will sell it to us and he will go to "Rev: (Revolution Bikes) to take the bike there.

So this morning I phoned Revolution Bikes in CPT and spoke to Eve. He stated clearly to me that his workshop is full and he dont have boxes to put them in currently as he is waiting for stock to be able to package it BUT i need to arrange my own courier to pickup from his shop as he does not do boxing and sending which is acceptable and I understand but he would facilitate the POP part.

So I make a suggestion to take it to CWC as they can immidiately take the bike. Facilitate the POP and box and send though their couriers no problem. He then exclaims no that wont work for him as its to far.

I then arrange the same with Giant Cape Town (same street as Rev just a few blocks down) and they are more than willing to accommodate and they will assist with the POP and everything.

Here comes this dude and say No he only deals with Revolution Bikes as he knows them and wont deal with any other shop as he dont trust them. He will have it boxed on Monday with Revolution Bikes as it suites him better. 

I have pages and pages of conversations with this dude. He is a absolute time waster that has no integrity. Everything has to go his way and he is not willing to do anything that doesnt suit him in this regard. We are ready to pay from the start he only needs to take it to Giant... Nope...

His expectation was to pay him before the bike leaves his garage. Then he will take it to a bike shop that dont even facilitate shipping cause it suites him that way cause he dont trust Giant Cape Town... 

Just thought I would vent some of my frustration with this man... Needless to say we not interested in dealing with him anymore. Completely lack of integrity.

If anyone want the actual conversations of whatsapp to correlate what was just said I have saved all of it and will provide on PM request to a admin

The back and forth happened over 3 days where he was just wasting everyone time.

Edit - Whatsapp convo is on post #4

Edited by MTB-More

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, from your side it does sound a little self centered from the seller, probably a millennial if you ask me, late 20s.

Then again, this thread is still in its infancy. We still need someone to ask to hear the seller's side of the story etc etc.

Good on you for getting out of the deal, which you probably should have done when he jacked the price by R5k. If you had gone through with the deal on his terms you would have resented the bike...

(Hey, it is only 2 hours till Friday, this might get saucy soon)

Yep, from your side it does sound a little self centered from the seller, probably a millennial if you ask me, late 20s.

Then again, this thread is still in its infancy. We still need someone to ask to hear the seller's side of the story etc etc.

Good on you for getting out of the deal, which you probably should have done when he jacked the price by R5k. If you had gone through with the deal on his terms you would have resented the bike...

(Hey, it is only 2 hours till Friday, this might get saucy soon)

So he gave me a bad rating. Lol... Cause i wanted to force a 3 day negotiation to take his bike to a unsafe Giant Cape Town store a few blocks to where his "Friends" are... 

You are right about getting out of the deal. I lost my appetite to buy a n+1 atm ... So might need to wait a month or 2 and try again

What a knob.

Moderators - should @cristian be allowed to get away with giving MTB-More a negative rating?

Having read the WhatsApp exchanges, @cristian should be banned from ever being allowed to sell anything on Bikehub again. He’s a total dwis.

Edited by Grogs

Not sure I could be bothered to type that much conversation! I'd have fallen asleep.

Always a shame to miss a good deal but jeez . . . 

Hopefully something else comes along that's a little easier to facilitate!

Honestly if a time waster get's your back up then being on le hub is going to be very frustrating.

look no doubt the R5k extra was a bull move and to be honest as soon as that conversation starts I call it and let them know I don't sell like that so I don't buy like that. It's a scum move and then comment as such in the ad and rate them negatively. If you decided that it was worth the extra R5k then please you can't really moan about that it after the fact if you were happy to proceed.

After reading the conversation I would probably want to do the deal through my known and trusted bike shop if I was the seller.That conversation is flirting around all over the place, bombarding him with texts and demands and I wouldn't be sure you weren't the scammer based on the conversation. If I'm going through the hassle of packing, shipping and sorting the delivery then I'll most likely go with my guys rather than drive here, there and around. My LBS is more likely to give me a bike box than charge. I've bought and sold bikes and frames here often coming in at more and normally on a conversation, phone call and a EFT. Tbh sourcing a full bike box, wrap packing and sending can take a hell of a lot of time out of a day and some extra coin on top. I've spent a morning getting stuff sorted for a bine to be sent up country and on a work day that can be about +/- R5k - R7k of billable hours by being out of the office. If I'm in meeting, a photo shoot or edit I might not get back to a txt or call for 3hrs and only get to organize shipping on a weekend. But it's all about cmmunication, expectation and understanding between buyer and seller.

Maybe Shepard or something like that would have been a good option for the trade on the purely financial side as that is a secure platform.

If I was you I'd rate him for the shady price increase and the move on. Buying and selling here will be a nightmare if you let every idiot get you annoyed. I've lost count of the guys who have ghosted after committing, no reply after asking to hold an item for weeks, wanted more money on an item for sale, try to haggle after agreeing on a price, agreed on price and the it's sons to some other dude, blah and the rest. Shrug it off and find that great bike at a killer price.

Hope you find the bike you need - want soon from a decent guy. There are a lot of good guys here who look after the community, are more than great to deal with.

Edited by hellocolour

Gees! No idea how you were happy to deal with a seller like that... No bike is worth that ***..

Move on, rate accordingly, and stick to your standards.. Sheesh I'm shell shocked that you went through that much to BUY a bike...

When he came with the extra 5k, you should have told him to gofuckhimself.

Here is the Free State if you sell your bakkie, your price is your price, you dont come changing your price after agreement was reached.

My when in doubt, leave it out instinct kicks in when people act like this.

When he came with the extra 5k, you should have told him to gofuckhimself.

Here is the Free State if you sell your bakkie, your price is your price, you dont come changing your price after agreement was reached.

My when in doubt, leave it out instinct kicks in when people act like this.

This ^^^

After reading the conversation I would probably want to do the deal through my known and trusted bike shop if I was the seller.That conversation is flirting around all over the place, bombarding him with texts and demands and I wouldn't be sure you weren't the scammer based on the conversation. If I'm going through the hassle of packing, shipping and sorting the delivery then I'll most likely go with my guys rather than drive here, there and around. 

That's the exact same thing I was thinking. 

That seller is a complete knob jockey.

I must admit you have bigger balls than me to "want to" part with that kind of cash with an oke over 1000km away, less than 1000 posts, and he still ups his price by R5k...

As has been said above, you definitely dodged a bullet here. Well done on saving that cash!

Admin should ban that cristian character from us on The Hub and tell his mommy to take away his cellphone and playstation.

That's the exact same thing I was thinking. 

and @hellocolour

You do realize he was just asked to go to a Reputable bike shop in the same street not all over the place like you think and assume. Each to his own though

He actually went physically to the Rev Bike shop without the bike to just talk to them about shipping. If he had time to go there and to talk to them in person I am sure he wasn't that busy. A easy option here would have been to just taken the bike with... He was already there (well according to him when I phoned him) and we could have made the the payment even though it was his "Friends" as he exclaimed. In his chat you could see when he was there

Principle though If you want to sell you need to sell. Don't say you cant wait a week its to long then the next moment say will do it next week. He Flip flops where it suits him at the time of conversation.

Anyways. I gave though everything. I moved on. Hub is a great place to buy and sell stuff and I appreciate the hubbers that actually go the extra mile in BUYING and SELLING.. 2 way street. Will look for the n+1 again soon

Edited by MTB-More

So he gave me a bad rating. Lol... Cause i wanted to force a 3 day negotiation to take his bike to a unsafe Giant Cape Town store a few blocks to where his "Friends" are... 

You are right about getting out of the deal. I lost my appetite to buy a n+1 atm ... So might need to wait a month or 2 and try again

And you gave him a bad rating, as you saw fit. Tools used, job done.....