Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

As an of topic, do you own a DC ? post 2013 of course

Nope, you'll find me in a Patrol when I need to drive over real obstacles. I've landed myself into trouble a couple of times with a comment about real wheelers drive Patrols, only posers drive Cruisers..... so after that I've stopped making that comment, told myself I'll never say that again, and I've been doing really well with that commitment.

Off-topic again.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might be a repost

http://www.spurmtbleague.co.za/news/spur-schools-mtb-league-and-home-schooling/

Spur Schools MTB League and home schooling

The Spur Schools Mountain Bike League is a schools-based League aimed at qualifying High Schools for an annual inter-schools final, held in October.

Each region hosts events to determine which schools qualify to attend the final. The League was never intended to be a platform for individual cyclists as there are ample official opportunities for young riders to do so provincially and nationally via the Cycling South Africa program, which is, of course, the only path to World Championship and further on to the Olympic Games etc.

The League has no ambition to replace the Cycling South Africa structure and is in fact affiliated to Cycling South Africa via South African Schools Cycling (SASC)

The eventual League winners are schools and in terms of overall results, the League is focused on High Schools. Riders cannot enter this final event – their schools are invited after successful qualification.

The reason for our High School focus is that the League supports a diverse early childhood development program that is not focused on single sports dominance. Kids must play and participate in multiple activities.

In regions where overall participation is lower, primary schools are invited to League events, but there is no annual outcome or result. Courses are easy and races short.

The League’s success comes from the fact that we promoted the “team” concept in an otherwise individual sport. This has given the slower rider an opportunity to be just as important as the faster, as together they earn points towards eventual qualification.

Our vision is a sport that is no different from rugby, netball or cricket where teams are the contestants.

A big drive for the League is to obtain official school sports status from the Department of Education. In order to achieve this, we need participants in the League to be schools, not individuals.

To explain why certain regions accommodate limited homeschool participation one has to go back to see how the League developed. The League assimilated various series and events around the country over a 10-year period and each came with local attributes. Many of these events have fun (no outcome) events for primary school learners, and you find that these are generally open to all participants, as it does not affect the main League. In many regions there is a lack of participation opportunities in general, so a more open invitation to participate exists.

Where homeschoolers are accommodated in these regions, it is under the rule that they cannot earn points or qualify for the inter-schools final, as this obviously affects schools trying to qualify.

In Gauteng, the events were founded by schools in the early 2000’s and thus have always been school-focused, hence the fact that a no-homeschooling policy has always applied here.

Gauteng has a further challenge in that the events are oversubscribed and we are struggling to accommodate the current schools as it is.

The League is committed to a school-based focus, as we believe this holds the largest potential for growth and our diversity goals. This challenge can be made a lot easier if we can get governmental support, and we believe a school versus school approach is the best way to generate this support and manage the next growth phase for the League.

We all love cycling, so it is unfortunate that certain individuals do not qualify for our program, but we hope the above explanation of our structure and vision explains to a large extent why this is the path we have chosen.

We are committed to investigating how the other mainstream school sports manage the homeschool issue and will strive to align our program with these sports. Our constituents, the schools, will be instrumental in driving our policy in this regard.

Meurant Botha

Program Director

Meurant Botha

meurant@dirtopia.co.za

www.dirtopia.co.za

Dirtopia Trail Centre

Greens are all Vegan. No chance you'l find them at the Spur.

the salad valley...remember that?!

Think it’s time Bootleggers opens up a road league for roadies open to all kids below 18 :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might be a repost

http://www.spurmtbleague.co.za/news/spur-schools-mtb-league-and-home-schooling/

Spur Schools MTB League and home schooling

The Spur Schools Mountain Bike League is a schools-based League aimed at qualifying High Schools for an annual inter-schools final, held in October.

Each region hosts events to determine which schools qualify to attend the final. The League was never intended to be a platform for individual cyclists as there are ample official opportunities for young riders to do so provincially and nationally via the Cycling South Africa program, which is, of course, the only path to World Championship and further on to the Olympic Games etc.

The League has no ambition to replace the Cycling South Africa structure and is in fact affiliated to Cycling South Africa via South African Schools Cycling (SASC)

The eventual League winners are schools and in terms of overall results, the League is focused on High Schools. Riders cannot enter this final event – their schools are invited after successful qualification.

The reason for our High School focus is that the League supports a diverse early childhood development program that is not focused on single sports dominance. Kids must play and participate in multiple activities.

In regions where overall participation is lower, primary schools are invited to League events, but there is no annual outcome or result. Courses are easy and races short.

The League’s success comes from the fact that we promoted the “team” concept in an otherwise individual sport. This has given the slower rider an opportunity to be just as important as the faster, as together they earn points towards eventual qualification.

Our vision is a sport that is no different from rugby, netball or cricket where teams are the contestants.

A big drive for the League is to obtain official school sports status from the Department of Education. In order to achieve this, we need participants in the League to be schools, not individuals.

To explain why certain regions accommodate limited homeschool participation one has to go back to see how the League developed. The League assimilated various series and events around the country over a 10-year period and each came with local attributes. Many of these events have fun (no outcome) events for primary school learners, and you find that these are generally open to all participants, as it does not affect the main League. In many regions there is a lack of participation opportunities in general, so a more open invitation to participate exists.

Where homeschoolers are accommodated in these regions, it is under the rule that they cannot earn points or qualify for the inter-schools final, as this obviously affects schools trying to qualify.

In Gauteng, the events were founded by schools in the early 2000’s and thus have always been school-focused, hence the fact that a no-homeschooling policy has always applied here.

Gauteng has a further challenge in that the events are oversubscribed and we are struggling to accommodate the current schools as it is.

The League is committed to a school-based focus, as we believe this holds the largest potential for growth and our diversity goals. This challenge can be made a lot easier if we can get governmental support, and we believe a school versus school approach is the best way to generate this support and manage the next growth phase for the League.

We all love cycling, so it is unfortunate that certain individuals do not qualify for our program, but we hope the above explanation of our structure and vision explains to a large extent why this is the path we have chosen.

We are committed to investigating how the other mainstream school sports manage the homeschool issue and will strive to align our program with these sports. Our constituents, the schools, will be instrumental in driving our policy in this regard.

Meurant Botha

Program Director

Meurant Botha

meurant@dirtopia.co.za

www.dirtopia.co.za

Dirtopia Trail Centre

Troll On

I am Bumping this as it is the most clear answer to all the questions asked on this thread.  I think it should be bumped every second page, just to remind the HS parents of the facts and realities of the Spur Inter School League.

Troll off.

Troll On

I am Bumping this as it is the most clear answer to all the questions asked on this thread.  I think it should be bumped every second page, just to remind the HS parents of the facts and realities of the Spur Inter School League.

Troll off.

post-86802-0-96016900-1526031125.gif

Troll On

Troll off.

Troll2  on

So bump off the HS'ers

Troll2  off

Organise HS'ers into a group.

HS'ers are 0.9% - way to keep numbers down.

So why not have a separate category for home schoolers then?

I know easy said than done etc. But most kids want to partake in what their friends are doing. So the neighbours kid is at school and the other is home schooled. They ride their bikes together all the time and the neighbours kid rides in the league. The other kid cannot, poor child is heartbroken......

Also I understand the league is full, how about maybe breaking it up into north and sou maybe even east and west as well, to make it smaller and then a finals where the different groups come together for the overall winners.

I dont like excluding kids from enjoying something with other kids, but alas this is how it is.

hmm, sounds like I am stirring, aah well!!

Was listening to a speaker this week, the core of the message is when you write / share / tell someone something, don't just assume that they understand the context in which you are sharing it. Rather consider how they will receive / interpret it and the adjust your form of message to get the maximum affect to bring across your point.

So many making comments here without actually reading what is being said, or taking one or two comments and applying it as the believe / view of all. Then again some people read just enough to find something that they can use to defend their view, invalidate the next persons opinion and establish dominance.

My suggestion stick to the facts and points, my view

- The organisers have been engaged already, and through this thread they can also see that there are people in the community feeling very strongly on either side, and that a conversation on their argument and views can be aired (lets rather create a forum for discussion and dialogue than a debating /attacking mop)

- Threats of boikot of sponsors that is doing A LOT for sports and cycling feels counter productive, I have got lots of respect for SPUR's efforts they put into development, rather engage with them in collaborative way than aggressive way.

- On the matter, that except if there are strong reasons the "ghost rider" approach sounds to me the most win win situation, where the strength of the field is increased, youth gets developed, and love for the sport is cultivated

- The arguments / opinions on the perceived benefits does not hold to much water for me, as there are already a number of other even more pronounce unequal advantages factors in place (quality of the bikes, access to transport, coaching, eating plans, access to gear, power meters, etc.

- Name calling reflects more on the person doing it than the intended target

What crazy talk is this? If we followed that advice there would be 2 threads getting updated 4 times a year.

Do you want to kill thehub? What an evil agenda that is. You must work for a competing bike website!

Makes me wonder...

All in comic sans of course. It's good advice.

So why not have a separate category for home schoolers then?

I know easy said than done etc. But most kids want to partake in what their friends are doing. So the neighbours kid is at school and the other is home schooled. They ride their bikes together all the time and the neighbours kid rides in the league. The other kid cannot, poor child is heartbroken......

Also I understand the league is full, how about maybe breaking it up into north and sou maybe even east and west as well, to make it smaller and then a finals where the different groups come together for the overall winners.

I dont like excluding kids from enjoying something with other kids, but alas this is how it is.

hmm, sounds like I am stirring, aah well!!

I don't think you stirring. We understand the rules and there are solid points being made. I think the common ground is we don't want to "exclude kids from enjoying something with other kids" 

They could. They could also not. 

Basing policy on hypotheticals is so dangerous.  know this is a stupid argument, but so is "they could train more".... 

Not hypothetical at all. I have a real life example:

I have a friend whose 11 year old daughter is an extremely talented ballerina. She and the cream of the region's young dancers all auditioned for something

It became very clear early on that the two home-schooled girls were streets ahead of those who had to fit ballet in around school hours, school sport & extramural activities. The home-schooled girls justifiably were selected, they were much better because they were training 4 or 5 hours a day not an hour 3 times a week and 2 hours on Saturday.

But isn't life all about time management.

My mate I am talking about above went to the Olympics as an athlete and qualified as an Actuary in the same month, whilst also holding down a real job. So the concept of time management is understood. :thumbup:    

.nothing stops the school going child from training the same amount of hours a day..just later in the day.   

Not possible, between rigid school hours, other team sports, cultural activities, extra murals and home work, all of which are compulsory, and the travelling time in a big city between home and these things, there is not an extra 4 hours to train and get enough sleep.

also I'd be really concerned if school kids are training 4 hrs a day..how to burn out a kid in one easy step.

The parents were proud of the fact that their daughters were putting in those hours without any recognition of the potential likely damage they were causing to their children's long term physical and mental health. Not just the excercise, but the girls are on strict diets not in order to engender healthy eating habits or optimal growth, but to conform to an unnatural physical shape. 

So are you saying that the home school kids are neglecting their education for the sake of riding their bicycles? YES, I am sure some are. Even at formal schools there are a significant number of kids who are happy to neglect their education at the expense of their sport. Why should it be different if you only have to worry about your parents ?

I'm sure the parents who made the decision to home school their kids will agree with you, not....

Some may, some may not. But believing that it never happens is so dumb, they should not be allowed to have children, much less "educate" them.

Home schooling doesn't just require a kid, who doesn't want to go to a traditional school, so that he/she can ride his/her bicycle more. It also requires very commited and willing parents.

I have seen the behaviour of "committed and willing" pushy parents on the side lines of school sport; frustrated sportsmen who live out their own failed sporting dreams vicariously through their children.

Just because you won't, does not mean that some parents won't "support" his child's sporting"career" by abusing the system. Keeping them out of "school" is a great way to do so.

Thought this was all sorted and Shaun and the Orgs are sorting this out, silly me. 

Thought this was all sorted and Shaun and the Orgs are sorting this out, silly me. 

This was never about sorting the problem, this was always about proving each other wrong.

Which part of Friday is unclear  :whistling:  :whistling:

Archived