Karoo to Coast

Marichen

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to do a singlespeed conversion after ou wapad descent. Cost me around 15min to do that, plus don't know how much time spinning out at 19/20kmh on the straights and downhills in the one gear. Caught a hailstorm at Diepwalle. Ended up doing 4h43min..beating my time of last year with more than an hour.

Flip... a hailstorm nogal...

Had to do a singlespeed conversion after ou wapad descent. Cost me around 15min to do that, plus don't know how much time spinning out at 19/20kmh on the straights and downhills in the one gear. Caught a hailstorm at Diepwalle. Ended up doing 4h43min..beating my time of last year with more than an hour.

So it's true, singlespeed's are faster....... :whistling:

What a tough day. Probably the toughest day in the saddle for me itv weather. Myself and the wife managed to finish though even after all the setbacks. I had a coming together with a guy just after the bridge underpass on the tar. Fell and bent my hanger poer in its moer...together with the derailer. Ps, thanks for not stopping whoever you were....

A spectator helped me hold the bike while I hulked the hanger sortoff straight. Rode up the next hill...with 15-32 lol. At the waterpoint I took the derailure off and got me a nice big rock and hammered the hanger as straight as i could. The derailure was still screwed though but i just set it up so i could atleast have 36 in the back....but this meant i was missing all the highergears up to mid casette.

Then the rain started....

I have never been that cold on a bike. It was getting difficult to even shift. The wife was struggling hard with the cold so we waited for the weather about 30min at one of the stops. It didnt get better.

Ps the waterpoints - especially on uniondales half were absolutely crap. I dont really blame them ( due to the weather) but still. We didnt stop at about half of them though since the cold was just that intense and if you stopped for 5min you were starting from 0 again.

It was raining/hailing so hard at one stage you could not see anything.

I lost count how many times i swore at amulances (in my head) and bakkies full of people with spaceblankets on the back....especially if you are grinding up a hill and have to stop.

Thanks to people at the Simola waterpoint...by far the best one ito friendlyness and things available.

Ps - to every chop that just chucked his/her plastic cup next to the road in that wind....i hope you break your pinky toe on a corner today.

Anyway. All in all a huge challenge that was very tough in that weather. We rode up ou wapad and the Simola climb. They are totally overhyped by everyone lol.

Mr Rouxie - i stoped to help a older guy from stellenbosch in the forest with a broken chain/chain breaker but i don't think it was you? He was on a ‘older’ bike but he was more ‘English than afrikaans?’. What a struggle trying to keep your hands still in that cold while trying to put a chain together haha.

Also

R.I.P all the drivetrains

29 Sub 4s this year vs 105 Sub 4s last year

Read a report/article this morning that there weren’t really any pro’s in the field this year. All i know is I want their weather app.....

Well done to all the riders and finishers. Reading up on the feedback I am somewhat relieved I gave it a miss this year. But I am really happy for the rain in that region. It is very dry, and with summer approaching they need every drop they can get. The veld is starting to take strain, and not enough feed is growing to ensure that the animals make it through without needing supplemental feeding. 

My chain broke on that long open section after the wood houses after Diep walle climb. I sorta heard it coming with odd clicks and jumps. So not me.

I suspect a lot of drive train mechanicals occured in that weather.

They really should not give paper cups to riders on the go. Stop, drink and bin it. Saw a lot of litter along the way.

This is hail next to the N2 as we were leaving Knysna.

post-38519-1569220021448.jpg

So a question.... Where does Sebastian Stark come from? I see his racing re Racetec only stats in October 2018 and has only got 4 races to his name. Is he die Muishond?

Interesting to see a Subvet blast onto the scene like this.

So a question.... Where does Sebastian Stark come from? I see his racing re Racetec only stats in October 2018 and has only got 4 races to his name. Is he die Muishond?

Interesting to see a Subvet blast onto the scene like this.

He and his wife won the Cape Epic mixed cat this year. Think he is originally from Germany

Read a report/article this morning that there weren’t really any pro’s in the field this year. All i know is I want their weather app.....

Pro's can't really do this race as it isn't sanctioned by CSA.

He and his wife won the Cape Epic mixed cat this year. Think he is originally from Germany

He won the Agulhas Classic in December too.

Pro's can't really do this race as it isn't sanctioned by CSA.

I thought that it was sanctioned again this year? Was that just a rumour?