S-Works Power Saddle "exploded"

MTB-More

Hi All...

So this happened last night on a ride at around 54km (Close to the end of the ride)

Its been the best saddle I had so far and hope to get another before the weekend (Warranty or purchase) so I don't lose out on some riding this weekend. 

*Ofc I didn't do anything dangerous ... it just exploded for no reason  :whistling:

20180607_204938.jpg

20180607_205003.jpg

Edited by MTB-More

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warranty exchanges take a few days with Spez as they will send it in for evaluation.

mtbmore, how did it "explode"? was there combustion of any sort? a chemical reaction between foam and... something else? that saddle just looks torn
in fact, it looks more like it was bumped inwards, tearing. no fraying of material or pieces of foam missing like a stereotypical explosion would look like.

Edited by Dirkitech

Hi All...

So this happened last night on a ride at around 54km (Close to the end of the ride)

Its been the best saddle I had so far and hope to get another before the weekend (Warranty or purchase) so I don't lose out on some riding this weekend. 

*Ofc I didn't do anything dangerous ... it just exploded for no reason  :whistling:

20180607_204938.jpg

20180607_205003.jpg

Just to add to the commentary, ^^^^^^ this is not an explosion

This is an explosion:

PS.Happy Friday!

post-27827-0-82242900-1528442637.gif

This is an explosion:

PS.Happy Friday!

That is brilliant :clap:  :clap:  :clap: :clap:  :clap:  

This is an explosion:

PS.Happy Friday!

I held off until this morning to start the post. Happy Friday everyone :)

mtbmore, how did it "explode"? was there combustion of any sort? a chemical reaction between foam and... something else? that saddle just looks torn

in fact, it looks more like it was bumped inwards, tearing. no fraying of material or pieces of foam missing like a stereotypical explosion would look like.

If you look closely the right side broke off from the tip. Its not merely a foam tear

Im in Boksburg and have one you can have on loan while you wait for the result of warranty . .

Im in Boksburg and have one you can have on loan while you wait for the result of warranty . .

If its a 155 I'll take you up on that offer if I cant find one today at the Spez shop (Apparently the 155 is like hens teeth)

spaz won't warranty it as you have a saddlebag, that voids the cover,

Can't tell if this should be in comic sans? I've warrantied a spez saddle without issue, they did not ask me about a saddle bag.

This saddle has clearly had a shell failure. It is mounted on a mtb, so if anything they'll use this and potential impacts as a reason to void the warranty.

Can't tell if this should be in comic sans? I've warrantied a spez saddle without issue, they did not ask me about a saddle bag.

This saddle has clearly had a shell failure. It is mounted on a mtb, so if anything they'll use this and potential impacts as a reason to void the warranty.

Just checked their website again now. Nowhere does is claim Road Cycling only or MTB restrictive. I was on a tar road going through one of those filled up ditches Telkom makes to lay fiber across a road and it snapped.

an explosion on the saddle, could of meant an explosion in the pants, which is the same as that!

that must be what the white foam is!

I held off until this morning to start the post. Happy Friday everyone :)

If you look closely the right side broke off from the tip. Its not merely a foam tear

I don't think I'm seeing what you're referring to. I'm eager to learn though, so if you have a chance to maybe put a red dot or something in the saddle picture, I may understand better?

I see you said you rode through a ditch dug by Telkom when the saddle "exploded". While the pic looks like it took a sideway force, I can understand if the saddle was sheared from above. Is that what happened?