[Event] 2019 KAP sani2c Adventure

Maryann

I was about to search a thread on this. 

I did the Adventure last year with a guy I never met before. We're mates now. It's amazing what happens when you suffer together.

I decided to do this with my wife this year. Told her she HAS to experience that ride. Got her a coach, the works. Don't want to pull into town at 16:55. She has been quite dedicated. She spent 2 hrs on the spinning bike because one of  our kids were a little iffy last night and didn't sleep much and she missed the group ride.

Thinking of checklists. I was looking for a power bank today to charge phones and Garmin's.

Any other weird things one should remember?

Really looking forward to it :thumbup:

Newspapers to stuff in your shoes when they get wet. Nothing like nice dry shoes to begin a ride

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I have done  - chose to do Berg&Bush this year as opposed to Sani - not enough leave I tell you!!!

But Sani is an awesome race with great vibe, particularly the Adventure and the Notties beer and gin truck

Which B&B event are you doing?

Aiming for the Descent - missed the early bird entries so will try and snap on up when entries open on 1 March.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are perhaps luxury tent accomodation options available on Sani2C (as with many other events nowadays) or just the standard 2-man tents and the B&B option??

• 2 weeks later...

8 weeks! So stoked!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, did a nice training ride today to gauge the strenth and fitness

Edited by Dexter-morgan

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first one and I still have so many questions!

What's the best way to get to the event and how accessible is it with a normal hot-hatch? 

Is it worth getting a mechanic package and from which service provider? 

What's the best way to get to the event and how accessible is it with a normal hot-hatch? 

Yes, any car will do. What gives you the idea that its not accessible?

No need for mech package. just arrive on day 1 with a well functioning bike

Edited by Escapee..

Yes, any car will do. What gives you the idea that its not accessible?

No need for mech package. just arrive on day 1 with a well functioning bike

Someone told me that the road to the start venue is really bad and I should make arrangements.

Great. I was looking at the packages and it really doesn't seem all that worth it. 

Would any of the mechanics/shops there assist with parts etc if I didn't pay for a package upfront? 

Someone told me that the road to the start venue is really bad and I should make arrangements.

Great. I was looking at the packages and it really doesn't seem all that worth it. 

Would any of the mechanics/shops there assist with parts etc if I didn't pay for a package upfront? 

That would be true if the race actually started on top of Sani Pass...Nope, any car is fine.

Agree with Escapee, no need for the mech package in my opinion, make sure your bike is in good working order. Yip, sure they will sell you parts, you might have to wait in line for a service etc but you will be able to of needed.

Usual South African tar road with a couple of potholes here and there. Definitely not an issue.

Plenty of mechanics/shops available so if you really have an issue they will be able to sort it out for you.

Not doing it this year and I am starting to get jealous 

I am happy to pay for the mechanics from the perspective of finishing each day, handing over the bike, and not having to even think about it again until the next morning, when it is cleaned, oiled and ready to roll. If I was less of a back marker, my view might be different. However, when I spend so much time on the bike over three days, every minute off it is precious.

Good day Fellow hubbers, have any of you taken up the training offered by the organizers? and how do you find it?

We've been following the program from the first week. So far we've seen major improvements in our fitness and a considerable improvement in pace too. 

It looks mostly the same week after week. 

Tuesday: Intervals ~1hr 

Wednesday: Endurance ~1.5hr (difficult to find the time and boring indoors) 

Thursday: Intervals ~1hr (same as Tue)

Saturday: Long Ride 3-5hr

Sunday: Strength ~2hr

They follow 3-week blocks where they build up the intensity and then a week of rest with low-intensity active recovery rides.

Biggest downside has been that we didn't do an FTP test before and the wattbike in our gym is broken, so power readings are useless. We've had to result to using RPE and heart rate which probably isn't giving us the best results. 

The biggest benefit has been that it really helped us to stick to a schedule and the fact that it's included for "free" makes it absolutely worth it! I'm even considering to get coaching from them after the event to prepare for future events. 

If I had to pay for this, I still would, but I would expect more feedback from the coach and constant adjustment/tailoring of the program to match my progress, which currently isn't being done.

What I've done in the past - just pack a bottle of degreaser spray (they don't always have at the bike wash). Then after the stage go get your bag and get your degreaser then head off to the bike wash. Rinse chain/cluster/chainrings then apply some degreaser, wait 5mins, rinse again. Go eat. Then come back and apply some lube.

95% of the time this is all you need to do after a stage. For the other 5% - wing it and go to the mechanics if required.

Edited by BlinkFan

I am happy to pay for the mechanics from the perspective of finishing each day, handing over the bike, and not having to even think about it again until the next morning, when it is cleaned, oiled and ready to roll. If I was less of a back marker, my view might be different. However, when I spend so much time on the bike over three days, every minute off it is precious.

Yup, also rather pay and get this this sorted.

Last year, my first S2C, my rear brakes failed on Day 1 - struggled to find a mechanic that night who could assist as they were fully booked. Eventually one of them gave me some time and did a quick fix but it only held till the bottom of the Umko drop  :mellow: on Day 2. Struggled again that night to find someone to help.

So I would rather go with piece of mind and have a mechanic booked!