Mud on tire, friction damage to carbon chain stay

Karakoram

Hi knowledgeable Hubbers.

Should I be concerned about the damage? Mud clinging to the side wall of my bike's rear tire has rubbed through a bike-protector sticker, paint finish and exposed the carbon structure underneath. The clearance between the tire and the frame is quite tight and a very slight build-up of mud seems to rub against the frame. I've tried to clear the mud on several occasions during the training ride today. also had a frame protection sticker applied at the problem area on the frame, which didn't help.

My bike is a 2014 Titan 650b carbon MTB, which I love to ride and still still goes very well. I've entered the Swellendam 100 miler in two weeks time and would like to use this bike.

Does anybody perhaps know how thick the carbon structure in general is in the area where the rub occurred on mountain bikes (see attached image)? Should I be concerned that the chain-stay will fail because of the friction scar? Is it repairable?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

post-19702-0-50551000-1530981061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Karakoram

It'll be fine. I would recommend applying some propper frame protection there though, something like AMS frame protection (available from www.trailtechcycles.co.za) which is made from thick plastic that will not wear down like that.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've removed the frame protection sticker, which is quite thick and tough. It certainly helped to reduce the friction damage where it was applied. I've learnt that mud can be extremely abrasive though.

The scar initially seemed deeper with the thickness of the sticker taken into consideration, but sans sticker it doesn't seem too bad. I applied matching white nail polish as touch-up paint over the scar and things are beginning to look up - a little. Now, to re-protect the frame around the narrow clearance area. I like the idea of a cutting a piece of metal from a cool-drink can. Think it will provide better friction protection than the original plastic sticker I applied.

About running a narrower tyre. This is also a feasible suggestion, but I just fitted new 2.2" rubber. Buying again will be a last resort, failing to install tougher frame protection.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've removed the frame protection sticker, which is quite thick and tough. It certainly helped to reduce the friction damage where it was applied. I've learnt that mud can be extremely abrasive though.

The scar initially seemed deeper with the thickness of the sticker taken into consideration, but sans sticker it doesn't seem too bad. I applied matching white nail polish as touch-up paint over the scar and things are beginning to look up - a little. Now, to re-protect the frame around the narrow clearance area. I like the idea of a cutting a piece of metal from a cool-drink can. Think it will provide better friction protection than the original plastic sticker I applied.

About running a narrower tyre. This is also a feasible suggestion, but I just fitted new 2.2" rubber. Buying again will be a last resort, failing to install tougher frame protection.

look to find a can made from Aluminium vs a tin can.

I would consider running the next size down tyre.

Is the dish correct on the wheel ? Any big wobbles when spinning the tyre ?

No wobbles. Runs true, but the clearance between the tyre and frame is tight. Mud sticking to the side-wall will easily rub against the inner part of the chain-stays. That is why I applied frame protective stickers around this area and cleared mud build up when I noticed. The bike came out with 2.25" Racing Ralphs and I just replaced this with a 2.2" Geax tyre. Mud is very abrasive and the damage happened quickly.

Can't you cut a coke tin into a wide strip and tape it to the area? Will surely be strongest against mud and cheap too...

I don't recommend using a coke can. This will give you endless hassles going forward. Sprite will be much better

I don't recommend using a coke can. This will give you endless hassles going forward. Sprite will be much better

Gear cable housing. This can chafe through anything - carbon, aluminium, steel. Tougher than dirt and Geax. Apply a layer of this.

If the problem was not there with the RR, Then I think we have the Answer.

The Shape of the new tyre when Inflated "might" be different.

When Riding things happen to tyres and rims vs when static.

Have you tried Higher or Lower Tyre Pressures.

Play in wheel bearings.

Spokes Tension.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Maybe a Red Bull can. Won't that be even better? :)