SA's Beani Thies, takes 2nd at IXS DH Rookies World Championships

Peach.

On the 3rd to 5th August, 4 of South Africa's upcoming downhill riders traveled to Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis in Austria to compete in the IXS Rookies World Championships.

The event saw 270 entries from all across the world, bringing some seriously talented young riders together to fight it out for the title of Rookie World Champ.

Track conditions were perfect for practice and seeding on Friday but with the heat wave over Europe and the lack of rain the track turned into a dust bowl over the weekend making the conditions rather challenging (I think the dry was a relief to some of the riders).

On the Saturday the riders competed in the IXS Cup Series helping them get up to speed and getting to know the track better for the race on Sunday.

The riders and their Champs results,

- Beani Thies,               Girls U17,    3:25:738     2nd

- Maximillion Wolfson,  Boys U17,    3:09:467     14th

- Kyle Brand,                Boys U17,    3:24:863     53rd

- Keagan Brand,           Boys U15,    3:30:127     32nd

When I was asked to accompany Beani for the second year to go race at Rookies World Champs I was excited to see how she would do. I have been riding with her at the local DH races for a few years and it has been great to see her getting faster and more skilled as time goes on. It was good to be able to help her on the track and get mentally prepared for the race.

We arrived in Fiss the weekend before to get some riding done in the bike park and get the hang of the gradient and speed of the trails. The European tracks are a lot steeper and rougher than our local SA tracks. On Friday and Saturday Beani took it easy getting to know the track and to get her lines dialed in. 

On Sunday she gave it her all and put down a great run to land her in 2nd for the U17 girls, a very respectable time on that track and a brilliant result.

I'm looking forward to see what lies ahead for her as she moves into Juniors and hopefully some UCI DH World Cups next year.

post-4310-0-28868000-1533739566_thumb.jpg
The beautiful little town of Fiss

post-4310-0-15541300-1533739794_thumb.jpeg
SA group on their track walk

post-4310-0-85379400-1533739599_thumb.jpg
Beani on her way down the track

post-4310-0-01756800-1533739582_thumb.jpg
Beani, stoked to be on that 2nd step. It was awesome to see her pull off a clean run and get a great result.

Beani Thies Athletes page - https://www.facebook.com/beanithiesmtb/
More pics and results can be found on Pinkbike

I'll post some pics as I get them.

If ever there was a youngster who just loves riding a bicycle it is this young girl.She rides every free moment she has,irrespective of the discipline too.Could be someone to watch carefully in the future in the sport. 

Archived