[Event] West Coast Express 2018

Pure Savage

Event Name: West Coast Express 2018
When: 9 September 2018
Where: Koeberg Cricket Club, Duynefontein, Western Cape
Category: Road

We offer cyclists 2 distances namely 78km, & 54km.

Both routes leave the Duynefontein area and head North along the R27 (West Coast Road) towards Atlantis.

The 54km route turns right to Atlantis, and the 78km continues straight until the Mamre turnoff.

Both the medium and long route return through Atlantis and exit Atlantis toward Philadelphia along the tree lined road. The route turns left toward Philadelphia just before the pot-hole section.

The route goes under the new N7 flyover and then turns left onto the N7 On-Ramp and keeps in the yellow lane South on the N7 toward Cape town.

The route takes the first left Off-Ramp and turns right onto the Melkbos link road (M19). The route then crosses the R27 and turns right at Melkbos Police Station returning toward Duynefontein and the finish.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck, it clashes with another race else we would also have been there.  And really hope that all the cyclist stick to the rules, because just maybe then they will still allow the 99er to make use of the N7 again.

What's the clash?

Best of luck, it clashes with another race else we would also have been there.  And really hope that all the cyclist stick to the rules, because just maybe then they will still allow the 99er to make use of the N7 again.

The 99er has been on the N7 since after they used malanshoogte...

The 99er has been on the N7 since after they used malanshoogte...

Yip. But always was the short bit, this year the route got in the N7 from phili, and there were feedback (unconfirmed) that some of the groups did not behave on the N7, with some officials indicating that they might not get approval again for that stretch of road. But it could have just been a story.

Yip. But always was the short bit, this year the route got in the N7 from phili, and there were feedback (unconfirmed) that some of the groups did not behave on the N7, with some officials indicating that they might not get approval again for that stretch of road. But it could have just been a story.

Personally think they should barricade off on lane for the first 60m of it and then cone the rest. Best way to keep cyclists in and cars out.

Doing both ... but that's just the kind of hairy scary mamil I am.

Now very jealous of you... we staying over in PiketBerg, so getting up the next morning to make it in time for the 7am start, and getting the other bikes will be touch an go.  

Personally think they should barricade off on lane for the first 60m of it and then cone the rest. Best way to keep cyclists in and cars out.

Agree with you fully, if they can close one lane for road works, then they can close one lane for a morning.  It will be nice if the cyclist all behave of course and stick to the closed lane only and not move over to the "vehicle" lane

Agree with you fully, if they can close one lane for road works, then they can close one lane for a morning.  It will be nice if the cyclist all behave of course and stick to the closed lane only and not move over to the "vehicle" lane

To be fair, last time we were over taking slow cars in the inside lane...

• 2 weeks later...

I see on the flyer it says that there is pre-registration on 6 Sept at Sportsman's Warehouse, but on the confirmation email I received it says that number collection is on race morning.

Is the pre-registration still taking place?  I would like to get my stuff beforehand as it could be a bit busy on race day.

Edit:  Got a reply from the organisers that the pre-registration is still taking place as stated.

Edited by billygoat0523