[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

The wife and I started in the back group...but finished. it probably took about 30min walking to get up the ramp to the hi-way....all the wannabe "pro" guys and gals in cleats unable to get clipped in up the hill in the crowd. also, everybody and his dog was trying to get a selfie with Victor Mattfield.

At one stage I thought I entered a funrun/walk instead of a bike race. Was also annoyed about it but oh well.

The wind was murderous for us at the back by the time we reached simons Town. We were literally pedalling to go downhill in certain places...no free wheeling lol.

We were lucky to have a few higher seeded guys riding with their families helping out with some trains along the way....shout out to all you guys for punching holes in the wind all the way and never expecting anyone to take over.

it was tough but awesome though. we caught the rain too in Houtbay...it was dark...rainy, windy..people were falling..ambulances all over the place coming down chappies on the wrong side. it felt like a proper fight for survival. loved it.

forgot to mention that it started on time; ~ around 09:45 for 6k

Maybe I must go back to riding with the last groups. Loved it when I rode there in my early days. You see get to see the true heroes that make this race so special.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently someone is selling their Cycle Tour medal for R1k ...

Will it come with a doctored certificate?  

The daughter of a lady friend of mine did her first CTCT, starting in the back group.

She missed the cut-off in Hout bay by 8 minutes.  But what pissed her off was that the back group apparently started 15-20 minutes late, and she certainly felt should could have finished it in time.

Anyone know what the cause for the delay was? 

Saw some pictures on Twitter where they closed the "gate" on those riders that did not make the cut-off, some looks very miffed, which I would also be.

Sorry don't know about the reason for the delay, maybe due to the backup on the onramp

Edited by LeoKnight

The daughter of a lady friend of mine did her first CTCT, starting in the back group.

She missed the cut-off in Hout bay by 8 minutes.  But what pissed her off was that the back group apparently started 15-20 minutes late, and she certainly felt should could have finished it in time.

Anyone know what the cause for the delay was? 

Started way back in 6J with family, exactly as advertised 09h40, at least 15minutes was "lost" at the on-ramp to NM Boulevard....walked from the start of the ramp to about 50m onto highway before it was clear to ride...

Started way back in 6J with family, exactly as advertised 09h40, at least 15minutes was "lost" at the on-ramp to NM Boulevard....walked from the start of the ramp to about 50m onto highway before it was clear to ride...

I also started then. A bit of track standing practice, a few laughs and we were away.

Maybe there was a delay between then and 6k? 

!st time riding from the back. It is SO much harder. I was exhausted from having to be alert all the time, always expecting to be taken out. Never being able to really get going due to the traffic. 

Riding from anything after the 3 groups is definitely not for ants!

There was even a delay in 2g but luckily the people did not un-clip to walk. We were going at 5km/h for a minute and then it got going again.

That's strange. I started at 8.40 in 5C and the route to NM Boulevard was completely free, I guess the later groups are full of first timers who don't have the experience of getting through that choke point, but its a bit weird that there was such a long delay only an hour after I started.

Saw some pictures on Twitter where they closed the "gate" on those riders that did not make the cut-off, some looks very miffed, which I would also be.

Sorry don't know about the reason for the delay, maybe due to the backup on the onramp

Rules are rules I guess, especially considering the "contract" to get riders off the course before the city opens the roads to traffic.

But given the delay which was out of the riders' hands, there could have been a bit of leniency.

I mad e recommendation that next time she do a couple of seeding rides, just to get her out of the last couple of groups.

On a side note: saw 2 people riding it on a tandem fat bike. They were cruising at the bridge I was sitting at. Looked like they were going to do well. If they are on here it would be nice to know what time they did?

They were in 2F fwiw.  

Is there a quick way to download all the results from Racetech, for this tour and previous? I love working with data and think it would be interesting to compare results across various years.

Use excel web connection to pull data from racetec. If you know Power Query you can create functions to navigate the pages on racetec as well as different results across years and consolidate into 1 database.

Is there a quick way to download all the results from Racetech, for this tour and previous? I love working with data and think it would be interesting to compare results across various years.

I have asked racetec for a .xls download but they could not/would not assist. real pity because I'd like to look at the finishers distribution in terms of terms of time of day and riding time

I have asked racetec for a .xls download but they could not/would not assist. real pity because I'd like to look at the finishers distribution in terms of terms of time of day and riding time

How much are you willing to pay?  :whistling: 

Use excel web connection to pull data from racetec. If you know Power Query you can create functions to navigate the pages on racetec as well as different results across years and consolidate into 1 database.

their webpage appears to be blocking the extraction

There was even a delay in 2g but luckily the people did not un-clip to walk. We were going at 5km/h for a minute and then it got going again.

Was the same for us in 3G. There was no such problem there last year. What was different?

their webpage appears to be blocking the extraction

It is HTML. If you are clever enough the data can be extracted.

<tr class="Nor">
    <td id="0" class="Cell ">
        <a class="Bold" target="" href="results_by_person.aspx?PID=692864">Gaze, Sam</a>
    </td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">2:39:42</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">1/23028</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">M</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">1/18590</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">$         </td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">1/156</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">M Elite   </td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">1/1334</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign">40.95</td>
    <td id="0" class="Cell CenterAlign"></td>
</tr>
Edited by Moridin

Was the same for us in 3G. There was no such problem there last year. What was different?

The wind?  Front people hitting the wall as they climbed onto the freeway and slowing instead of the front of the group accelerating away. Anyway, my conclusion I came up with after every time we hit a wall of wind and the speed dropped at the front. Those behind would be protected from the wind to an extent, but would have to brake.