[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

My wife counted 4 in her group, a bit of a joke!

saw and heard a few as they passed me...at least 2..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It also suggests that quite a few people may have missed the cutoff, which throws out the average and medians a bit.

I wonder if they missed the cut off or just didn't pitch because of the weather?  

Funnily enough I have no issue with e-bikes being in the rubbish groups (anything after 2k).

Realistically they aren't going to win anything, they aren't going pro and what harm is there in letting people cheat themselves or ride with mates on closed roads in a fun ride? 

You aren't 'racing' back there and it's a personal struggle/achievement, not a push to the finish line.

As long as they stay out of the actual riders, it's more about getting people out there and having a jol, embracing and adding to the gees however you can.

But then that's just me. I'm sure there are thousands who disagree and I respect that. 

Funnily enough I have no issue with e-bikes being in the rubbish groups (anything after 2k).

Realistically they aren't going to win anything, they aren't going pro and what harm is there in letting people cheat themselves or ride with mates on closed roads in a fun ride?

You aren't 'racing' back there and it's a personal struggle/achievement, not a push to the finish line.

As long as they stay out of the actual riders, it's more about getting people out there and having a jol, embracing and adding to the gees however you can.

But then that's just me. I'm sure there are thousands who disagree and I respect that.

Sho. Talk about hubris and condescension.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanx for the high 5 zipping through Kalk Bay @Long_Wheel_Base

Was good to meet you. Your group rode lekker, better than a lot of the other groups that came passed me.

I crashed out of my group 1K just after Millers Point, thanks to the guy on his mountain bike who helped me get to the tech zone at the top of Cape Point. I was on the side of the road for a while :(  My wheel was buckled but we managed to get to the top of the hill slowly. Didn't get a name, all I know is that he was training for the Epic and riding in Woolworths jersey. Thank you for your help! 

Cavendish was in your group?

But seriously - this indoor training malarky is wonderful, but it breeds cyborgs with qualifying FTPs but zero bunch riding skills. Or even solo riding skills. I stopped being tempted by the big bunch tow a while ago. Can't say I miss it.

Thanks for the chat around simonstown/boulders/smits

doesn't look like it from the 'tone' of your post Your Higness ;)

like the roady that tuned me going up contermans at PPA at a lekker pace on my 160mm 26" mtb - "rookie mistake!"....he never saw me again.

Edited by morneS555

I've just done a simple histogram in Excel of the recorded finishing times on Racetec (sorry about the wonky colours, Excel was being a pain with transparent graphs):

attachicon.gifCTCT.JPG

Some more data:

attachicon.gifCTCT2.JPG

I think this shows how much harder this year was than last year, and also puts into perspective the amazing results some people managed.

It also suggests that quite a few people may have missed the cutoff, which throws out the average and medians a bit.

Data doesn't make sense. There were not 33000 finishers in 2018? Maybe some double counting on the original data sets - tandems wouldn't be enough to make that big a difference.

doesn't look like it from the 'tone' of your post Your Higness ;)

like the roady that tuned me going up contermans at PPA at a lekker pace on my 160mm 26" mtb - "rookie mistake!"....he never saw me again.

Bro, I started in 6J or whatever.

I am under no illusion that I am in any shape or form a 'real' racing cyclist.

If you're starting in anything after 2k you are not going to climbing on the podium, so why does it matter if someone wants to support the tour and ride with their kids on an e-bike?

I have no ego, compared to guys who actually train and put in the miles and the effort to get a seeding, I am rubbish. If you did that then unfortunately starting in 3 onwards is also either reward for being inactive for a few years race wise, you didn't put the effort in to get seeded or you aren't fast. 

I don't know. I throw myself into the 'haven't done a seeding race in 4 years, haven't ridden on the road enough in 3 years and didn't put enough effort in leading up to the race' rubbish catagory who shouldn't really care what other people are doing as long as they are out supporting the tour, having fun and being rad.