Carbon Wheel Damage

karnuffel

Hi All,

I am writing this with a very heavy heart.  I saved for many months before I could buy an awesome set of wheels for my bike. 

Less than 1000KM down the line and I have a damaged front wheel.  I have no idea how it happened or when, I basically saw the damage when I cleaned my bike on Saturday.  Im hoping someone could hazard a guess as to what happened here.  Do I need to replace the rim (I am assuming that I can keep the spokes and hub)?

post-53969-0-41102800-1535530108_thumb.pngpost-53969-0-01472500-1535530116_thumb.pngpost-53969-0-27616300-1535530123_thumb.pngpost-53969-0-56736400-1535530136_thumb.png

What I know: I have not fallen with the bike, I did not hit any potholes, the bike did not fall over (that I know of) and there are no marks that might indicate anything.  Any ideas what can be the cause of the damage?

My only guess is that this was caused by spoke tension....

Edited by jouda

I do use a bike rack from time to time, but the last two rides my bike was on the back seat of my bakkie.  

Warranty on the wheels ?

Take it back to the shop you bought from to start the warranty process.

I bought it directly from Token cycling.  I am going to try  and talk to them later today, I really just hope it will work out eventually. 

See if the supplier will warranty the rim.  They are helpful. I could be wrong but it does not look like heat damage to me.  Repairs are possible but you are looking at about R2000.  I would not repair.  If Token replace the rim (or if you have to get one yourself) you can reuse the spokes if the rim is the same.

i think you have a good chance of a warranty claim.

the damage is right by a spoke. and there is no visible damage from say hitting a pothole.

as stated above, might be due to a hot exhaust.

put your bike on your bike rack and see if the rim hangs close to your exhaust.

i learnt the hard way years ago, had a tire explode on the way to a race.

thankfully the rims where cheapy alu rims and were not damaged, but the tire was one big glob of a mess

Edited by Furbz

Mine looked exactly the same when it was melted by the exhaust of my wife's diesel car. It happened on a 45 minute early morning winter car ride to a race with thule towbar bike rack on a Mercedes GLA :(. There was quite a lot of space between the bike tire and the exhaust and I had done quite a few trips before that without issues. I had luckily taken out insurance with cyclesure two months prior and they paid out. It really sucks :(.

PS: Found a picture, this was after a few rides waiting for replacement.

post-113886-0-31688600-1535533613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

I would send the pics to Nick at http://www.wheelbuilder.co.za/ or if you are in Jhb go and see him.

He really knows his stuff (just built a set of Carbon Road Wheels for me) and I have no doubt he would be able to give you a good idea of what happened.

Maybe do it before you go and see Token - just so that you go there a bit more prepared.

Mine looked exactly the same when it was melted by the exhaust of my wife's diesel car. It happened on a 45 minute early morning winter car ride to a race with thule towbar bike rack on a Mercedes GLA :(. There was quite a lot of space between the bike tire and the exhaust and I had done quite a few trips before that without issues. I had luckily taken out insurance with cyclesure two months prior and they paid out. It really sucks :(.

Just out of interest, which Thule towbar rack did you use and was the exhaust actually aligned with the wheels or sitting below them?

I take my carbon wheels on seriously long rides on the towbar rack...  It's a 3 series so sits much lower than your GLA, but I'm not certain how that would translate to exhaust height.  Maybe I'll take the wheels off in future

i think you have a good chance of a warranty claim.

the damage is right by a spoke. and there is no visible damage from say hitting a pothole.

as stated above, might be due to a hot exhaust.

put your bike on your bike rack and see if the rim hangs close to your exhaust.

i learnt the hard way years ago, had a tire explode on the way to a race.

thankfully the rims where cheapy alu rims and were not damaged, but the tire was one big glob of a mess

I can only hope things will work out!  Ill have to check the bike on the rack.

The exhaust thing is stressing me out a bit now, but time will tell.  

Thanks!  Not quite the news I was hoping for, but lets see.  I used it on a rack a few weeks ago, for less than 30 minutes and Im sure I would have noticed the issue before or after my last ride.  

I would send the pics to Nick at http://www.wheelbuilder.co.za/ or if you are in Jhb go and see him.

He really knows his stuff (just built a set of Carbon Road Wheels for me) and I have no doubt he would be able to give you a good idea of what happened.

Maybe do it before you go and see Token - just so that you go there a bit more prepared.

Ive already sent the photos to the guys at Token, but Ill definitely contact Nick.  Warren from Token was friendly and said that he will send the photos to the more technical guys at Token.

Hi All,

I am writing this with a very heavy heart.  I saved for many months before I could buy an awesome set of wheels for my bike. 

Less than 1000KM down the line and I have a damaged front wheel.  I have no idea how it happened or when, I basically saw the damage when I cleaned my bike on Saturday.  Im hoping someone could hazard a guess as to what happened here.  Do I need to replace the rim (I am assuming that I can keep the spokes and hub)?

attachicon.gif1.pngattachicon.gif2.pngattachicon.gif3.pngattachicon.gif4.png

What I know: I have not fallen with the bike, I did not hit any potholes, the bike did not fall over (that I know of) and there are no marks that might indicate anything.  Any ideas what can be the cause of the damage?

Hi All,

attachicon.gif1.pngattachicon.gif2.pngattachicon.gif3.pngattachicon.gif4.png

must ma roll with alu clinchers homie