Tour de France 2019

gummibear

I don't think much would have changed instead of E perhaps increasing his lead. And there was consensus between them as to who was the best in the mountains, and that was not G.

The higher the mountains the better Bernal does..as he said he felt better when the altitude increased..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Everything was settled when Bernal attacked up the Iseron and left all the main contenders including G in his wake. In fact, he dropped them with relative ease.

I think the fact that he thanked G for the opportunity ( to win) during his winners speech was a matter of being polite and respectful. 

In interviews after the Iseran stage, EB also thanked Gee who he said told him on the stage that if he was feeling strong to go for it.... so was not just a matter of being polite.  They discussed it as team members whilst racing that stage and Gee obviously knew he was not the strongest rider and was happy to give EB the opportunity.

Edited by shaper

I agree. Everything was settled when Bernal attacked up the Iseron and left all the main contenders including G in his wake. In fact, he dropped them with relative ease.

I think the fact that he thanked G for the opportunity ( to win) during his winners speech was a matter of being polite and respectful. 

It all comes down to that Froome crash.

Do I remember correctly: Bernal wasn't even going to ride the TDF this year, but was pulled in after the Froome Crash? He would've done the Vuelta?

Do I remember correctly: Bernal wasn't even going to ride the TDF this year, but was pulled in after the Froome Crash? He would've done the Vuelta?

He broke his collarbone just before the Giro which he was supposed to race, also Gee did not have a smooth run up to the Tour

Edited by kosmonooit

He was supposed to be the team leader during the Giro and to ride the Tour as a domestique for Froome and G. Not sure if there was ever plans for him to do the Vuelta. Ineos will probably do the Vuelta with their "lite"team. 

He broke his collarbone just before the Giro which he was supposed to race, also Gee did not have a smooth run up to the Tour

Ah, that's it. I just checked the Giro results and the Ineos team looked weird, couldn't understand why there was no real GC contender.

Happy it worked out for him.

Did Ineos mention who they are sending to the Vuelta yet...?

I know just pointing it out to SwissVan ????

Just pointing out.....

EBH and TDD nearly stole the thunder from the sprinting gods at the biggest sprint of the year.

Nie to blerry sleg nie eh?

Just pointing out.....

EBH and TDD nearly stole the thunder from the sprinting gods at the biggest sprint of the year.

Nie to blerry sleg nie eh?

It was a great effort. 

Even Steve Cummings thanked Doug Ryder for his holiday in France by taking a turn in front :) 

Ah, that's it. I just checked the Giro results and the Ineos team looked weird, couldn't understand why there was no real GC contender.

Happy it worked out for him.

Did Ineos mention who they are sending to the Vuelta yet...?

I haven't heard - I doubt they will send Bernal, the weight of expectations too high? but we will see,.

One of their biggest challenges is to pace his development and performance now so his success endures, although he seems to have an incredible calm and mature head on his shoulders

In interviews after the Iseran stage, EB also thanked Gee who he said told him on the stage that if he was feeling strong to go for it.... so was not just a matter of being polite.  They discussed it as team members whilst racing that stage and Gee obviously knew he was not the strongest rider and was happy to give EB the opportunity.

Yes just as Chris did for G last year.

45f7e84f342689943cd77832c79e2449.jpg

it's Monday so I might as well dig up an old bone

Every single country's stats/wins are questionable.  We celebrate Eddy but he was bust so many times.  Some of the early French winners stopped for beers, others got lifts, not legal by modern standards.  The Italians and the rest were all part of the problem our sport has had.  One might suggest that cheating is part of the tradition.  Not condoning it by any means

USA 10 (Floyd was caught too close to his victory)

kaboom!

After two fractured ribs from a crash on a ‘double corner’ early on in the Tdf, he persisted, spent time in the breakaway and was always positive and enthusiastic.

All this in his debut participation at leTour

Be like Michael Woods ????

Edited by 'Dale

After two fractured ribs from a crash on a ‘double corner’ early on in the Tdf, he persisted, spent time in the breakaway and was always positive and enthusiastic.

All this in his debut participation at leTour

Be like Michael Woods

Asked if he enjoyed his first tour his response was 'the best thing I've done in my life. Period'. No sure how his wife will feel about that but suffice to say he is a massively positive guy. 

His episode on 'Life in the Peloton' podcast was pretty good as well.