Tour de France 2019

gummibear

PMs to be banned from the race, is that correct?

Depending on who's Twitter account you follow and believe.

I saw the words potentially and eventually.

Edited by Gen

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PMs to be banned from the race, is that correct? 

What ever the outcome of that is, I don't see how banning them will change anything. 

The host towns/cities have to pay ASO a boat load to host the race..ASO are smiling all the way.

I know that, and Israel paid quite a sum for their Giro start/froome entry.

but national gov should pay too!

I know that, and Israel paid quite a sum for their Giro start/froome entry.

but national gov should pay too!

So over and above towns having to pay to host the gov to pay ASO extra money for their own event so that they can pocket more money. Edited by Gen

So over and above towns having to pay to host the gov to pay ASO extra money for their own event so that they can pocket more money.

you're missing my point completely. Cycling as a sport battles to generate revenue, and it is costly to televise/cover properly. ASO are unique as they own this golden goose, but don't make exorbitant sums off it (they do alright).

http://inrng.com/2017/11/amaury-sport-accounts-finances/

There are a lot of tourists who go to france in july specifically to go watch the tour. As they are on a mountain pass and not a stadium they pay $0 for their tickets. They do however spend a fair bit of cash as tourists do.

The TdF is free marketing for France tourism. Imagine if some of that marketing was paid for, and trickle down to the actual teams/riders (I'm not saying ASO should get it all)

edit:the other point I forgot to mention. While it seems inconceivable now, ASO could move the TdF away from France totally. Paris-Dakar hasn't been in Africa for a good few years now, yet the name remains the same. 

Edited by Evans_Cuddles

you're missing my point completely. Cycling as a sport battles to generate revenue, and it is costly to televise/cover properly. ASO are unique as they own this golden goose, but don't make exorbitant sums off it (they do alright).

http://inrng.com/2017/11/amaury-sport-accounts-finances/

There are a lot of tourists who go to france in july specifically to go watch the tour. As they are on a mountain pass and not a stadium they pay $0 for their tickets. They do however spend a fair bit of cash as tourists do.

The TdF is free marketing for France tourism. Imagine if some of that marketing was paid for, and trickle down to the actual teams/riders (I'm not saying ASO should get it all)

edit:the other point I forgot to mention. While it seems inconceivable now, ASO could move the TdF away from France totally. Paris-Dakar hasn't been in Africa for a good few years now, yet the name remains the same.

I get what you are saying..just all this revenue ASO generate doesn't go near the teams..that is the problem only solution IMO is TV rights according to previous years results in the GT/spring classics etc. Similar to the football clubs and league/CL results.

The better you do the bigger your team's cut.

Edited by Gen

So i get a stage in my back yard again. Waiting for exact route to see how far aways but most likely passes under and hour a way from the house(that's an time on the bicycle).

Pity its on a monday we where a bit spoilt with weekend passes recently.

Bernal[emoji2962]

It's gonna be the Froome Dawg show for the Skybots.

Probably co-leadership with Gee.

Bernal to be super dom again until he gets his time in the July sun.

Power meter ban is just stupid - for a given climb, power can be calculated vs speed per rider, and relayed via radios.

Rather ban the radios.

Or how is this for a Friday conspiracy: banning power meters will free up mass, and get more GC contenders on disk brakes? (If I remember correctly, none of the 2018 top 10 GC was on disks)

Power meter ban is just stupid - for a given climb, power can be calculated vs speed per rider, and relayed via radios.

Rather ban the radios.

Or how is this for a Friday conspiracy: banning power meters will free up mass, and get more GC contenders on disk brakes? (If I remember correctly, none of the 2018 top 10 GC was on disks)

Yip, race radio ban is definitely where things will change.

Imagine, as an innovation, a minimum of 5 stages to be banned from radio comms, randomly chosen from a bingo machine. 

I need a coffee.