Tour de France 2019

gummibear

Yip, race radio ban is definitely where things will change.

Imagine, as an innovation, a minimum of 5 stages to be banned from radio comms, randomly chosen from a bingo machine.

I need a coffee.

They tried that..remember..riders protested with a go slow.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The solution to the safety situation without radios is to upgrade the Didata transponder. Have it beep in 3 different tones for danger, caution and all clear. Comm can press the button for these. Then add a few buttons to the bike attachment for "feed me", "puncture", "mechanical", "medical emergency" and "crash" and there would be nothing to complain about. Transponder can add a gps tag to a message that is relayed to thecorrect team cars only.

(Except the obvious problem of having to observe and think strategy for yourself)

Edited by Christie

They tried that..remember..riders protested with a go slow.

Can’t recall

Then again it’s my Friday brain ????

Removal of PM wont make a difference to the racing, riders know what "X" watts feel like and if it  is a sustainable effort. Other way of simply using a metric to judge effort up a climb is have your VAM value on the display and you know that 5.6w/kg is 1600VAM for argument and there is your power that is gone. 

Radios I do believe should stay for many reasons other than tactics.

• 7 months later...

Happy to see Wout van Aert is in the mix for Jumbo-Visma.

Can't remember him doing anything else but one-day road races in the past...?

Is the Criterium De Dauphine his first foray into a Multi-day road race on World Tour level?

Sitting pretty in the Young Riders jersey currently.

"Brailsford: We'll do all we can for Chris Froome's fifth Tour de France quest"

Gotta feel a bit for Thomas as several of the shortlisted team and now the boss have come out and said they're all in for Froome. Surely GT would have been thinking that he's be getting more support than last year going in as the title holder. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Gotta feel a bit for Thomas as several of the shortlisted team and now the boss have come out and said they're all in for Froome. Surely GT would have been thinking that he's be getting more support than last year going in as the title holder. 

Maybe they are trying the 2 year bluff?

Spraying shame on everyone after being fooled twice!

it's a tough one. if Froome hadn't had (the case and) giro in his legs then he could probably have won TdF '18. Things fell in place for him, if he's got the legs then there's nothing to say it can't happen again.

it's a tough one. if Froome hadn't had (the case and) giro in his legs then he could probably have won TdF '18. Things fell in place for him, if he's got the legs then there's nothing to say it can't happen again.

Yeah, seems DB can actually manage the old 'road will sort it' manta. Last year was a good thing for Thomas going in fresh with the sole focus and quite under the radar. This year he's returning as the title holder, more eyes on him from the start and a fresh Froome. Bernal is also going to be wanting to get opportunities even if he has been touted as a floating super dom' for both Thomas and Froome. Any other team bringing the current champ to the race would have the team custom picked and tailored for GT. He's got to be thinking, 'what does it take to get the full backing'. 

Yeah, seems DB can actually manage the old 'road will sort it' manta. Last year was a good thing for Thomas going in fresh with the sole focus and quite under the radar. This year he's returning as the title holder, more eyes on him from the start and a fresh Froome. Bernal is also going to be wanting to get opportunities even if he has been touted as a floating super dom' for both Thomas and Froome. Any other team bringing the current champ to the race would have the team custom picked and tailored for GT. He's got to be thinking, 'what does it take to get the full backing'. 

He don't have to think ..... CF made a plan for him

Hahaaaaa

He don't have to think ..... CF made a plan for him

Hahaaaaa

DB has confirmed that Froome is out of the TDF.