CSA Communications

Rolling Stone

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your cycle race sanctioned

CSA has sent a stern warning about Licensed riders taking part in non sanctioned races on their facebook page and somehow I believe they are serious this time, some action will be taken.

Personally I just do not like the fact that race organisers do not want to contribute a measly R10 per rider to CSA and my CSA medical cover is useless at non sanctioned races.

https://www.cyclingsa.com/mountain-bike-press/2018/6/27/non-sanctioned-cycling-events-participation

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingSA/photos/a.121503097885160/1842805052421614/?type=3&theater

A stern warning?
They issue almost the same verbatim release a few times a year and don't engage beyond that. 

A financially liquid and competently led federation that is honest and appreciates it's membership is more a more important action. Seriously.

Maybe that's just me though. 

CSA has sent a stern warning about Licensed riders taking part in non sanctioned races on their facebook page and somehow I believe they are serious this time, some action will be taken.

Personally I just do not like the fact that race organisers do not want to contribute a measly R10 per rider to CSA and my CSA medical cover is useless at non sanctioned races.

https://www.cyclingsa.com/mountain-bike-press/2018/6/27/non-sanctioned-cycling-events-participation

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingSA/photos/a.121503097885160/1842805052421614/?type=3&theater

Has the CSA fixed their account with the insurance that was months in arrears now?

Since you edited your post. 

Why do you think race organisers do this? It's not like we arrived at the situation in a vacuum. Many organiser actually do make those funds available, so be specific in your generalisation. Many race organisers also contribute to cycling well outside their mandate.

CSA medical cover has generally being useless, for much of 2017 as it turned out. Bloem XCO ring a bell? Many events carry public insurance as a matter of legal requirement, as well as individuals. Sanctioned or not.

Personally I do not like the fact that a topic is posted with an arbitrary open ended post, without stating the context of intention and their involvement. 

It comes across as disingenuous and immediately raises suspicion. 

Where do you get this information from?

Use the search function. There is a thread dicussing it all with relevant links somewhere here on the hub.

Since you edited your post. 

Why do you think race organisers do this? It's not like we arrived at the situation in a vacuum. Many organiser actually do make those funds available, so be specific in your generalisation. Many race organisers also contribute to cycling well outside their mandate.

CSA medical cover has generally being useless, for much of 2017 as it turned out. Bloem XCO ring a bell? Many events carry public insurance as a matter of legal requirement, as well as individuals. Sanctioned or not.

Personally I do not like the fact that a topic is posted with an arbitrary open ended post, without stating the context of intention and their involvement. 

It comes across as disingenuous and immediately raises suspicion. 

It is clear that I am referring to races that are not sanctioned.

There are of course many races that do sanction and support CSA and its regions.

Race organizers are free to choose if they want to sanction or not.

What is not so clear to the average cyclist is the fact that not all races contribute to CSA, I think they have the right to know if a race is CSA sanctioned or not.

Mostly they do not even know where to go and look.

I understand very well the sentiment of some cyclists and race organisers not to want to support CSA.

Use the search function. There is a thread dicussing it all with relevant links somewhere here on the hub.

So you referring to the hiccup in 2017. Or are they still in arrears?

So you referring to the hiccup in 2017. Or are they still in arrears?

How can you ask the same question of the person who asked you that question.

Are you are involved with the federation or affiliate? If so you should know the answer.

And FYI, it wasn't a "hiccup" ... not by a ******* long shot pal. 

There are of course many races that do sanction and support CSA and its regions.

What is not so clear to the average cyclist is the fact that not all races contribute to CSA, I think they have the right to know if a race is CSA sanctioned or not.

I understand very well the sentiment of some most cyclists and race organisers not to want to support CSA.

Fixed the last sentence for you :thumbup:

I successfully claimed last month.

It is different to the policy from 2017 in that it is limited to treatment and/or evacuation on the day of the sanctioned event. But yes, it is in place. Claim approved and paid in under 24h.

Ever tried to claim from them.?I crashed at a race. The other guy was was very seriously injured and I told the paramedics to focus on him. I got in the sweeper vehicle and went home. The next day my foot was swollen and I went for x rays. One bone was cracked in my foot.I also had a broken tooth. I called them about the insurance they use as a selling point for membership. (I was a licensed rider at the time) only to be told that I can only claim if I was brought to the hospital in a ambulance from the race.

This is on the website:

Cycling SA has finalised a medical emergency evacuation or transport benefit with Hollard Insurance Company for the 2018 membership cycle. Each member will receive a death benefit of R25 000, and/or Emergency Medical Treatment at a Medical Treatment Facility and Emergency Traveling costs a benefit of up to R25,000 accident cover for any cycling related accident that occurs at a Cycling SA sanctioned cycling event.

I understand very well the sentiment of some cyclists and race organisers not to want to support CSA.

No. Read again. You have not made your role or motivations clear in posting this. 

The average cyclist does not even know of CSA or what CSA does for the average cyclist. The 'forbidden race rule' does not even apply to the average cyclist.

The sanctioning process is itself not properly communicated. That is why many people don't know where to look.

It's not sentiment or not wanting to support, it's a lack of trust and credibility. Don't twist the conversation.

And it's more than "some"

Archived