Meerendal Dorstberg Gate Trail

aquaratza

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before but at the top of the Dorstberg trail at Meerendal there's a gate. On Strava one can see that a long time ago (2012) people used to ride beyond the gate and down onto what looks like the Olief farm (Malanshoogte Road and the M58). There's at least one Strava segment in this area called "Dorstberg through quarry" which was mostly ridden in 2013 and last ridden in 2017.

I was just wondering what happened to this trail ? Why did the gate get locked/trail get closed ?

Thanks! 

Edited by aquaratza

Because it's not a legitimate trail.

It was only used for the ACE and the odd race, but otherwise it is private property. Riding there is not permitted, and going rogue will cause some people to be rather mad at you.

Hi there,

From my understanding, it was only ever opened for racing events as it is still a working farm, Quarry...

Have a fab weekend  :thumbup:

As T-Bag said,

I think it was once used for the Epic and also mabye once or twice for the Durbie Dash

Apparently a terrible hike-a-bike climb so don't think we are missing out on much

As T-Bag said,

I think it was once used for the Epic and also mabye once or twice for the Durbie Dash

Apparently a terrible hike-a-bike climb so don't think we are missing out on much

Isn't that where we used to hop across the tar road after descending Hoogekraal (Hoogies behind you on the left) then wind up through the quarry where the guys wearing Hessian sacks live? The climb pops you up the fence line and onto the top of Dorstberg....

If you are hiking that then eish... It's really not worthy of a 'hike a bike'. It gets steep in places but is pretty straight forward. I think even rideable on the SS.

But more to the point, private land and not open to the public. So don't ride there unless you're doing a race. (Hopefully a sanctioned race..... :ph34r: )

Isn't that where we used to hop across the tar road after descending Hoogekraal (Hoogies behind you on the left) then wind up through the quarry where the guys wearing Hessian sacks live? The climb pops you up the fence line and onto the top of Dorstberg....

If you are hiking that then eish... It's really not worthy of a 'hike a bike'. It gets steep in places but is pretty straight forward. I think even rideable on the SS.

But more to the point, private land and not open to the public. So don't ride there unless you're doing a race. (Hopefully a sanctioned race..... :ph34r: )

Not sure if is the same, might be variations of the climb (haven't ridden it myself)

This is the one I was thinking off

https://www.strava.com/segments/10745777?filter=overall

Looking at the segment name & average speed of most riders you might just be supremely talented  :ph34r:

I should just point out that (1) I don't go randomly riding on private land (as tempting as it is ;) ) (I pay my fees) and (2) to ride that trail you'd need to carry bolt cutters to get through the lock :nuke:  . I was just curious why it's closed. It could be a nice circuit* to ride (and avoid the tight road down the hill from Meerendal).

*circuit : Durbanville -> Meerendal -> Malanshoogte -> Adderley Road -> Durbanville (for me about 53 KM, it's a pretty ride)

lol @ sanctioned race :D

Edited by aquaratza

Not sure if is the same, might be variations of the climb (haven't ridden it myself)

This is the one I was thinking off

https://www.strava.com/segments/10745777?filter=overall

Looking at the segment name & average speed of most riders you might just be supremely talented :ph34r:

Went up there in one of the first Fedhealth races and it was an unpleasant push after one section that was very rock and steep. And then no one could remount. But that is where I rode in the pack... ????

Went up there in one of the first Fedhealth races and it was an unpleasant push after one section that was very rock and steep. And then no one could remount. But that is where I rode in the pack...

Remounting halfway up Dorstberg is easy...if you don't mind having your pedals bash your shins once or twice  :whistling:  

Remounting halfway up Dorstberg is easy...if you don't mind having your pedals bash your shins once or twice :whistling:

On the Meerendal side you shouldn't be stopping!!

Went up there in one of the first Fedhealth races and it was an unpleasant push after one section that was very rock and steep. And then no one could remount. But that is where I rode in the pack...

That's the one.. I think it was the 1st or 2nd year Fedhealth sponsored as I managed to get a free entry as a member and the ugliest shirt which I wear often!

I don't remember getting off the bike at that race but definitely remember the Hessian sack family and climbing up the quarry and along the fence line. 

It was a pretty cool route if I remember correctly, with the steep concrete climbs at the start as well as the nice climb up to the Conties mast from the back. 

• 1 month later...

- Update -

I got to go through the gate this Sunday, but from the quarry side into Meerendal. We routed in through the entrance to what I think is called the Fair Cape Loop and eventually up through the quarry to the Meerendal Dorstberg gate. It was hard work, I had to walk some bits of it. While it was fun to do for a change I'm not sure I'd do it routinely. 

I figured I'd post some photos if anyone in future is curious :

post-128151-0-87624100-1542736558_thumb.jpg

This is looking towards the North, Meerendal is towards the right of the image. The path to the gate curves around the water.

post-128151-0-40053900-1542736771_thumb.jpg

This is looking up towards the gate.

post-128151-0-83560400-1542736874_thumb.jpg

and then things got too crazy to allow camera use  :excl:

Edited by aquaratza