Rider Down on Suikerbossie

FootballingCyclist

Hi Guys.

Received these messages in my club chat. Hope and pray the rider is ok, doesn't sound good.

"Hi *****, came accross what looked a fatal cycle accident on the way down Suikerbossie on the way to hiking Chappies at about 7.30am .... 4x4 came out of side street without looking and cyclist must have hit him at about 70kph serious head injuries .... emergency services were starting to arrive .... not a nice start to the day ????

Back door of 4x4 smashed in and window shattered... must have hit like a concrete block !! We have to be so careful out there !!"

Really hope it isn't as bad as it sounds!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before everyone jumps to conclusions, driver appears to not be at fault. Cyclist had head down and was going too fast to stop for the red light, driver had green light right of way, didn't see cyclist due to hedge in the way.

Witnesses confirmed as such. No, I wasn't there so have no further information. Rider in hospital, alive.

Shared by friend:

it was Philip Leroux, Kirstenbosch Philip. Now at Christian Barnard hospital. We were going down Suikerbosie doing about 70 km . Philip had his head down . Then the traffic light half way down went red Phillip was to close to the red traffic light and I think he tried to break but too late . I was about 100 meters behind. Philip collided side on to Toyota Land Cruiser . The driver had the green light and came out from the left side. Unfortunately the driver could not see any cyclist coming down as there is a large hedge in the way . Driver stopped on the opposite side of the road in shock . I personally think that most of us cyclists do go down at great speed down that hill , and when the red traffic light comes on . One does not have enough traction and cannot stop that quick. Please pass the message to all to take it easy and be aware of the cars coming out from the left as they cannot see the cyclist from the left coming down . Let’s all pray that. Philip will be ok . Has broken ribs puncture lungs and facial injuries.

All the best to the rider, his family and friends. AFAIK he has multiple injuries which are quite serious. Hope he recovers from his injuries. Please be careful out there everyone.

Speedy recovery.

I've been off they the bike for a month following a collision @ 30kmh ... hate to think what it would be like @ 70kmh.

Edited by Thomo

Shared by friend:

it was Philip Leroux, Kirstenbosch Philip. Now at Christian Barnard hospital. We were going down Suikerbosie doing about 70 km . Philip had his head down . Then the traffic light half way down went red Phillip was to close to the red traffic light and I think he tried to break but too late . I was about 100 meters behind. Philip collided side on to Toyota Land Cruiser . The driver had the green light and came out from the left side. Unfortunately the driver could not see any cyclist coming down as there is a large hedge in the way . Driver stopped on the opposite side of the road in shock . I personally think that most of us cyclists do go down at great speed down that hill , and when the red traffic light comes on . One does not have enough traction and cannot stop that quick. Please pass the message to all to take it easy and be aware of the cars coming out from the left as they cannot see the cyclist from the left coming down . Let’s all pray that. Philip will be ok . Has broken ribs puncture lungs and facial injuries.

I was there minutes after this happened. really terrible incident and sincerely hope Philip pulls through.

Keep us posted if you have any info on his condition.

Sad news

I’ve heard of collisions there before

I imagine cyclists are spent from Suikerbossie and relaxed or relieved and then lose focus on the descent, to even enjoy cooling down with the air on the descent

It’s very quick to grab speed down there

Speedy recovery to rider. Personally I always l sleep on brakes going down there. Be safe guys and be careful on road

Hope all parties recover well here, maybe the average joe cyclist should be riding on disk brakes, not to say that I would of made a diference.