Rouvy - worth the bother for virtual rides?

mecheng89

I searched for routes/activities, and I saw one created by Frosty some time ago and gave it a bash.

What’s Frosty’s route called?

I’ve also added a few of my routes, try the one called “ “Zug Riviera” if you want some short hard climbs with flats in between to recover.....

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pricing is $6.25 per month for standard and $10 per month for premium subscription.

Available for now on Ipad, Iphone, Android.

Edited by Cippo

I used to use it when they called it Virtual Trainer. Back then the video speed was always unrealistic fast. Riding at 30 km/h but it looks like 100 km/h because the video footage was shot from a car. When looking at Rainmaker's clip above it still looks too fast? Still thinks the idea has some huge potential.

I've only done one ride on an AR route, and it is pretty neat. Not perfect, sure, but has lots of potential.

I hope they add a way to see how many people are currently on a specific route (I think the new tacx app shows the number), so you can pick a route with other real riders. So far it has been mostly events posted on the Rouvy group on Strava, to join a specific route at a specific time?

The racing with AR opponents should also be interesting, once it is available (saw a Facebook post yesterday, if I remember correctly, stating that if was delayed a bit - EDIT: now I can't find that post... )

Edited by HdB

I did a short augmented reality route today. It is a nice feature that has a lot of potential, which can add some spice to the existing routes.

If I could add my wish list to the Rouvy developers:

• The Rouvy ghost riders should display a certain W/kg average as you pass them or they pass you.
  • More virtual partners (ranked by time and W/kg) should be displayed to allow you to get the 'race' feel. I selected a virtual partner that dropped me within the first 5 meters, never to be seen again.
  • The video rendering should go through a more refined buffering modeler, to reduce the twitches the rider on screen experiences.

I would however suggest that Zwift users do not change to Rouvy yet, as there should still be many fixes and tweaks done before the official version is released. Once that is performed however, I suspect quite a few Watopia guys will try to test their mettle on real (augmented) climbs.

sorry for the highjack

i tested rouvy a while ago and found it to "under read" power, is it me or or general issue with the software?

edit: by under read I mean it says 200w but it feels like 400

Edited by fanievb

• 4 weeks later...

This looks very cool.

Looks like the premium package is a winner being able to link 2 other "family" members and up to 5 devices.

• 1 month later...

Any updated reviews of Rouvy now that they have added Augmented Routes etc?

The number of routes with AR fully integrated is limited currently. I think there are 14, of which only 5 are not just one big climb.

On the one I tried, the 3D stuff is pretty neat, though the animation of the avatars was a bit rough (especially when they get out of the saddle).

I'd like to see a race on one of the AR routes, with enough participants to really show what it would be like. If I'm just riding a route on my own, I don't think the AR would make a big difference in my life to be honest.

On other routes, the interface did change a bit, and if someone else should be riding the same route as you, you'll be shown how far they are ahead/behind you.

Any updated reviews of Rouvy now that they have added Augmented Routes etc?

I’m still procrastinating about getting a new laptop that can handle it, so still using the older normal options.... which tbh is fine for me seeing I hardly watch the rouvey Screen other than to see the stats

The AR function is still far from a Zwift alternative, but is still in a Beta state.

On a side-note: Who is MeatyHead on Rouvy? Looks like he is a Saffa, owns 60% of the track records and averages 4.5 W/kg on 3 hour rides..

So far I have only used it to follow workouts given to me via Training peaks, works well, Riding the routes feel super hard, just not sure if its all the short routes with lots of climbing I have chosen, considering getting a ANT stick and cheap 32" TV to do the whole Paincave thing.