The Comfort Conundrum

TyronLab

The budget comfort conundrum  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you choose on a budget?

• Upgrade current bike with dropper, HB, Stem, Tyres
    • 27.5 Plus Hardtail Trail bike, New
    • 27.5 Plus FS Trail bike, 2nd Hand
    • 29er FS XC bike, 2nd hand
    • Fat Bike

Ahoy bikehub!

So my riding has started progressing nicely since starting in July, and I'm getting more comfortable on jumps and technical sections. Having the Ekurhuleni mountain bike park in my new backyard helps!

I'm starting to feel the itch to upgrade my bike, but I'm not sure which direction I need to be looking at going. The first and most important aspect is budget. My SO and I just bought a new house, so money is super crazy tight for at least the next four months, and pretty tight thereafter. With that being said, should everything pan out well I may have five-to-ten thousand (hypothetical) Randelas to spend at some stage. 

Here's the breakdown!

Current bike:

Silverback Sola 4, 2015 model (worth maybe R5-R6.5k for sale purposes).

Riding that I do:

• Road riding (mostly just for fitness) - 30%
  • Dirt road / Veld / foot path singletrack riding - 20%
  • Bike park riding (jumps, pump track, drops) - 30%
  • Street riding (wheelies, manuals, bunny hops etc) - 10%
  • Chilled family rides with my daughter in a carrier - 10%

What I want out of the upgrade:

1. More comfort for the TB race. My current bike is super stiff and the fork is not that great, so bumpy sections demolish my butthole, and to a lesser extent my hands.
  2. More technical capability for bike park riding.
  3. Limited additional maintenance cost.

So the options I'm considering at the moment:

1. Upgrade current bike with wider handlebar, shorter stem, 2.3 tyres, dropper post, better flat pedals, maybe saddle.

Pros:

• Cheapest initial investment and maintenance.
  • Provides slightly better trail-riding capability.
  • Still a 29er XC hardtail, so pretty efficient and going long distance.

Cons:

• Limited to no additional comfort.
  • Still only 100mm travel and basic fork, so still limited in capability

2. Sell current bike, buy new 27.5 Plus HT Trail Bike

Pros:

• Trail bike geometry and moderate capabilities (grippier larger tyres, dropper etc)
  • Should be pretty efficient still, as its a HT.
  • No additional maintenance.

Cons:

• Some additional comfort, but not much.

3. Sell current bike, buy 2nd hand 27.5 Plus FS Trail Bike

Pros:

• Trail bike geometry and lots of capabilities.
  • A lot more comfortable.

Cons:

• Expensive to buy and maintain.
  • Will have to look at 2nd hand, which increases risk and possible refurbishment costs.
  • Not as efficient as an XC bike so will need to train even harder for TB (not necessarily an issue).

4. Sell current bike, buy 2nd hand 29er XC FS Bike

Pros:

• More comfortable.
  • Still pretty efficient.
  • Some improvement in capability.

Cons:

• Expensive to buy and maintain.
  • Will have to look at 2nd hand, which increases risk and possible refurbishment costs.
  • Still an XC bike, so limits trail capabilities.

5. Sell current bike, buy a fatbike (not sure if 2nd hand or new)

Pros:

• More comfortable.
  • Still pretty efficient as its HT.
  • Some improvement in capability.
  • Cheap to maintain.
  • A bit different than the norm, which is something I love.

Cons:

• Less efficient than standard tyre bike on the road.

Some additional general notes:

• I'm not a racing snake. I have no intention of winning or "competing" in any races, especially not the TB, that I'm doing just for fun and to enjoy the scenery and experience with family. I would much rather have a comfortable, pleasant 16 hour ride than a painful, terrible 13 hour ride.
  • I came from motocross and BMX so the technical and bike park stuff is what I find the most fun. I also love riding longer distances off road as a form of relaxation and getting out-there.
  • My first car was a 40 year old Alfa Romeo, not because my parents couldn't afford a new econobox, but because it was cool and different. My favourite guitar is the one that has the oddest shape. I wear brown shoes with a black belt. What I'm trying to say is that I like different, uncommon things, so that weighs in my decision.

So, for anyone else that's bored at work, let the comments flow!

Fatbike. Canyon Dude.

See what the GMBN boys have done on that thing. And not slow on gravel etc either.

As soon as I have cash, one is going to toddle into my shed...

Edited by andrew5336

Jeezus, I've got analysis paralysis just from reading you're post. 

Go for the 'enduro' hardtail. 605B or 29er - doesn't matter. Make sure it has a proper fork, a dropper, good reach figures and clearance for meaty rubber (e.g. can run a 2.5" in the back). 

My 2.5c. 

^^this. 

Jeezus, I've got analysis paralysis just from reading you're post. 

Go for the 'enduro' hardtail. 605B or 29er - doesn't matter. Make sure it has a proper fork, a dropper, good reach figures and clearance for meaty rubber (e.g. can run a 2.5" in the back). 

My 2.5c. 

I've got one more sleep until my last working day of the year, so I weighed up doing something productive or typing that huge post... Guess which one won.

Out of interest, are you giving that recommendation based on it being a more comfortable ride than my current bike, or it being a more technically capable bike?

I've got one more sleep until my last working day of the year, so I weighed up doing something productive or typing that huge post... Guess which one won.

Out of interest, are you giving that recommendation based on it being a more comfortable ride than my current bike, or it being a more technically capable bike?

"Comfortable" in which situations?

There are so many variables which impact comfiness levels, but I can imagine that a rugged HT with nicely damped tyres and a proper fork will be more comfortable and technically capable.  

Riding that I do:

• Road riding (mostly just for fitness) - 30%
  • Dirt road / Veld / foot path singletrack riding - 20%
  • Bike park riding (jumps, pump track, drops) - 30%
  • Street riding (wheelies, manuals, bunny hops etc) - 10%
  • Chilled family rides with my daughter in a carrier - 10%

An AMHT pretty much covers all that nicely.

Relaxed geo. Wider tyres. Dropper.

I'd go for a 140mm (150 tops) 

Its a far more versatile single bike to have.

Especially considering your progression and the type of riding you're leaning towards.

Just don't spend a dime trying to 'enduro' the Sola. 

Both

"Comfortable" in which situations?

There are so many variables which impact comfiness levels, but I can imagine that a rugged HT with nicely damped tyres and a proper fork will be more comfortable and technically capable.  

Comfort predominantly in terms of riding over rough terrain for extended periods with the bike being a bit more forgiving on my hands and backside. I've done a few XC races for fun, and whenever there are grassy or rocky sections I have to sit and pedal through my current bike sends every jolt through my body through my bum, making me really uncomfortable.

I realise this has a lot to do with fitness and being able to put a bit more power down for longer periods too, just looking at getting a more forgiving bike.

I would say either option 2 or 3 but leaning more towards option 3 depending on your budget and at that price point definitely second hand (Maybe have a look at the TITAN Skyrim Trail as an entry into the 27,5 Plus trail arena.) Haven't seen any second hand though.

Don't try upgrade (#Enduro) your Sola.

Can't really comment on the fatty.

Comfort predominantly in terms of riding over rough terrain for extended periods with the bike being a bit more forgiving on my hands and backside. I've done a few XC races for fun, and whenever there are grassy or rocky sections I have to sit and pedal through my current bike sends every jolt through my body through my bum, making me really uncomfortable.

I realise this has a lot to do with fitness and being able to put a bit more power down for longer periods too, just looking at getting a more forgiving bike.

Obviously a full suspension will offer the most 'comfort', but with you're budget, you'd be better suited to a All-Mountain HT, IMO. 

Something like this: 

19METAHTAMRBL_2000.jpg

I'll add my name to the trail HT list. 29 130 is probably the sweet spot, and if you get the right one you'll have the option of running 650+ as well.

Avoid fat bikes like the plague unless you're planning on riding on sand or snow.

I would keep everything as is - maybe better flats - and wait for six to none months and rethink the whole thing.

In that time save every penny you can which will justify another buy and make it feel good.

Get to test ride some bikes.

Edited by porqui

I'll add my name to the trail HT list. 29 130 is probably the sweet spot, and if you get the right one you'll have the option of running 650+ as well.

Avoid fat bikes like the plague unless you're planning on riding on sand or snow.

Fat bikes are probably not as rubbish as you think they are :P:

(Spoiler; only about a 3% time difference on a 23 minute course in this comparison.)