Garmin watch options - need advice

Chingy182

I'm looking for some advice from you guys please.

I can't seem to get the idea out of my head that I want/need a Garmin training watch.

My heart has been set on a Fenix 5 Sapphire with HRM strap, but I just can't seem to commit myself to biting the bullet due to the price.

Recently I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 735XT Tri bundle and the Garmin Forerunner 935 Force Tri bundle.

Any Pro's & Cons to these watches?

They both seem to do a fantastic job, are a bit cheaper than the Fenix.

My first concern is the glass vs sapphire ito scratching - I'm rather prone to falling once in a while.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated in making a decision.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't seem to get the idea out of my head that I want/need a Garmin training watch.

My heart has been set on a Fenix 5 Sapphire with HRM strap, but I just can't seem to commit myself to biting the bullet due to the price.

Recently I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 735XT Tri bundle and the Garmin Forerunner 935 Force Tri bundle.

My first concern is the glass vs sapphire ito scratching - I'm rather prone to falling once in a while.

I'm just thinking, since you didn't specifically mention triathlons, just training, the Garmin Vivoactive 3 may do the job you need at the cheapest price of the lot.

Regarding the above link where I queried a similar situation, after plenty of 2nd hand adverts not following through, I decided to  get the Vivoactive instead, until I'm in Australia. There the 5+ or was it the 5x+ is on sale sometimes for just under AU$1000, which is cheaper than the cost I can import right now, which is also cheaper than anything available locally. Good luck with your decision!

Have a look at the Garmin Instinct. Looks to be positioned between Fenix and Vivoactive.

Also a nice review by DC Rainmaker, as always.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/garmin-instinct-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

I still love my Garmin Fenix 3, but the glass takes allot of shots when you are active. Seriously consider the Sapphire options if you can make it work.

I would seriously consider a Fenix 3 Sapphire if you can find one, the difference in features w.r.t. the Fenix 5 does not justify the price increase in my opinion. 

Fenix 3 will have more features than you would be able to exhaust.

This

I have had mine for about a year now, use it for running, cycling, strength training,OCR, gym, hiking etc... and yet i havent even started using all of the features provided. 

Make sure to get the Sapphire though. The amount of times i smack it against a counter corner or a door frame is insane, and not a single scratch on the screen. The bezel i quite worn but that doesnt bother me. 

The F3 is no longer available as far as i know so you will have to try and look for a second hand one. 

Nice problem to have

I still love my Garmin Fenix 3, but the glass takes allot of shots when you are active. Seriously consider the Sapphire options if you can make it work.

I would seriously consider a Fenix 3 Sapphire if you can find one, the difference in features w.r.t. the Fenix 5 does not justify the price increase in my opinion. 

Picked up a VivoActive 3 for R3999 last week, Dion Wired. I suspect Garmin want to clear stock to make way for the LTE version, should we get that in SA

At that price you get a lot. Has served me well so far, early days though. If you have any questions let me know.

Ive had the Fenix 3 Saphire for about 2 years now, the glass is damn near indestructable!

I am an undergound geologist working in an gold mine, I crawl through tiny spaces everyday scratching the watch face against quartz (harder than glass, so it scratches normal whatch glass) steel tips, scraper wires, you name it and my glass is still spotless. My bezel is sctratched heavilly but the glass is flawless. Not to mention the many falls I have had whilst cycling/hiking. 

The 3 is a big watch, but I enjoy it now. If you can get the 5 saphire, go for it. It is that tiny bit smaller which does make it more comfortable when riding (I tried my friends one when I was contemplating upgrading), however if a second hand 3 is in your budget get it. The only reason I wont get another watch is because of the lack of the saphire face.

Edit: Boertjie Spelling!

Fully agreed - I have the Fenix 3 HR and not that much different to the 5.

Definitely get the Sapphire version, it's worth the extra money.

Find a good condition watch second hand and you won't go wrong. 

I have a FR235 now for about 3 years and bought a screen protector(here on the hub) and still good if you want to go for the 935 or 735, the 735 has a very small face in my opinion.

wife has a 735

2 years to the day i bought it it stopped working

took it in to nav world

seems the seals on the buttons leaked must not  push buttons whilst in water

so not that cool for genuine tri athlons it seems

but to gamins credit took it in Monday they gave her a new unit Friday

straight swap out

so cant fault unit or service

I dig my Fenix 3 HR. Has everything I need for riding and running. Other lekker apps for fishing etc.

Works well with the app.

Archived