Does 650b have a future?

Dirt Tracker

Does 27.5 have a future?   

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will the industry stick with 27.5?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's not about the wheels
    • I don't care, I can't wait for 31'rs
  2. 2. What do you think your next bike will be?

• 29r
    • 26 ain't dead.

I know it might be a bit divisive and a bit close to the old feuds where you picked a wheel size and acted like a douche about it but it's a question that has been increasing lately in the press and during reviews. It seems the industry really has started nailing the right geo for 29rs and the old comments about being hard in switchbacks, feeling floppy at low speeds, not good for smaller people all seem to have been dealt with if you believe the hype. 

With more and more capable 29rs being launched does 27.5 have a future in the industry and your future? Would the industry prefer 2 standards (or 3 if you count 26'rs) or pull it back to one? 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something I have been mulling over recently ..... personally I think the 29'er will be king and 650b will die off.

my current ride is a 650b

Anyway, there's a lot of new hype for 29ers lately, especially in the long travel segment. Even though it's not exactly new, but mostly thanks to DH.

The industry will continue to find something new to sell to you. First it was 29er, then 650B, then fat bikes, then plus, then boost, then long travel 29er etc etc.

650B will probably make another come back in some form, after 69ers.

Let's ask Giant on this one.

That was also a bit of a catalyst on this subject. Their first '29 is the best thing' for the Trance, then the 'sorry for you 29r buyers we're all about 650b as the natural home for trail bikes' and then back to 29rs for the Trance this time around. 

I'm thinking of getting a new 650b and the decision is on the individual bike regardless of wheel size but wonder about the longevity. I know it won't happen for a while but it does creep in. 

most important question is how long does it usually take for you to get the "itch" for a new bike?

If not too long then whatever your choice is a non factor .... especially if you really dig the bike you are looking at.

That was also a bit of a catalyst on this subject. Their first '29 is the best thing' for the Trance, then the 'sorry for you 29r buyers we're all about 650b as the natural home for trail bikes' and then back to 29rs for the Trance this time around. 

I'm thinking of getting a new 650b and the decision is on the individual bike regardless of wheel size but wonder about the longevity. I know it won't happen for a while but it does creep in. 

My wife is 1,5 meters tall. And we have not yet found a 29er that is small enough for her to ride. 650b yes but then they cost the same as half my liver and kidney together, so she is till riding her road bike. 

Each of my missus's bikes's frames was quite a mission to find. 

None in 29er guise.

I would say on this one, time will tell.

think they may manufacture 27.5's for a time to come still. 

My wife is 1,5 meters tall. And we have not yet found a 29er that is small enough for her to ride. 650b yes but then they cost the same as half my liver and kidney together, so she is till riding her road bike. 

This is the main reason I hope 650b sticks around. My wife is in the same position...

No 29er fits her.

She is on a small 650b and her dropper post is at its lowest position in the frame with millimetres to spare for her seat height. 

Don't think they will disappear overnight but I have found and this only personal experience 29ers sells easier than 650b. Think 650b is more playful but for flat out speed and covering ground 29er for me.

By the trend of this thread... 27.5's are girls bikes...

Someone is going to make you force-watch the Gillette ad nonstop for 24hours :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

gravel is a growing segment.

More gravel bikes are being launched with a 650b wheel option thanks to beign able to accept wider tyres.

As for mtb, tried and IBIS RIpmo and holy crap what a beaut but damn its just a big ass bike. Its a bus actually. So hop on a Mojo HD and ..........Nirvana. More playful lighter. 

that Ripmo is long. bigger okes seem to like it though so 650b will always have a future if the manufacturers want to build bikes that people like.

PS: Also compared a Habit to a Scalpel. Habit was way more fun and just as fast.

hey man .. do you know what you are getting yourself into with that statement.

By the trend of this thread... 27.5's are girls bikes...

Hairy your Poll doesn't allow for options like:

1) 700C

or ability to select two options like 27.5 and 29 at the same time

Archived