Failed FTP Test

So, I did a FTP test this evening.

I've done quite a few before so I'm aware of the protocols of keeping everything the same etc etc.

Haven't done one in a while so broke a few rules this time.

Normally done in the morning, this time the evening.

Last meal was at 13:00, probably also a big mistake.

So all in all I was bloody stupid.

I battled to get a rhythm. Started strong and quickly faded and ended up a drop of 10%.

Granted I haven't been on the trainer or done any structured intervals in ages, does this have the largest bearing or was my poor nutrition etc the problem.

Should I redo test or reset my FTP to what was achieved and just build from there?

I was pretty fresh as I've not ridden since the CTCT.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I did a FTP test this evening.

I've done quite a few before so I'm aware of the protocols of keeping everything the same etc etc.

Haven't done one in a while so broke a few rules this time.

Normally done in the morning, this time the evening.

Last meal was at 13:00, probably also a big mistake.

So all in all I was bloody stupid.

I battled to get a rhythm. Started strong and quickly faded and ended up a drop of 10%.

Granted I haven't been on the trainer or done any structured intervals in ages, does this have the largest bearing or was my poor nutrition etc the problem.

Should I redo test or reset my FTP to what was achieved and just build from there?

I was pretty fresh as I've not ridden since the CTCT.

No big deal

Enjoy the 10% drop, rinse and repeat in 3-4 weeks.

Do it in the morning...your mind seems to prefer that

The mind is a powerful tool muscle

Yes I'm leaning towards that.

The lower ftp will probably help me get back into it I guess.

I'm just sort of worried that perhaps I didn't do as well as I could have.

Yes I'm leaning towards that.

The lower ftp will probably help me get back into it I guess.

I'm just sort of worried that perhaps I didn't do as well as I could have.

I wouldn't worry about it, do another test next week there's loads of variables to FTP testing.

Call it a worst case scenario ftp, use those values on days 3 and 4 of stage races or when you are feeling tired before a ride even starts or not 100%

When you say fresh cause you have done nothing since CTCT, if by nothing you really mean jackpooh and then try a FTP test that is heading for failure. you want to get some riding in, some intensity before hitting it.

Also, as a reference do 15min not 20 and take that complete value. I have found that being more accurate with athletes. Reason is 20min mentally is so taxing and get better data off 15min.

use it or don't.

When you say fresh cause you have done nothing since CTCT, if by nothing you really mean jackpooh and then try a FTP test that is heading for failure. you want to get some riding in, some intensity before hitting it.

Also, as a reference do 15min not 20 and take that complete value. I have found that being more accurate with athletes. Reason is 20min mentally is so taxing and get better data off 15min.

use it or don't.

I recall you recommending a step/ramp test (in the TSS thread)

What's your take on the new Zwift ramp test? https://zwiftinsider.com/new-ramp-test/

reason being, with the ramp test I got a higher value than with the 2x8 min protocol (CTS).

use it or don't.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what do you mean by 15min and take the complete value? If the 20min formula is ave watts x 95% = FTP, what is the 15min formula? Same formula, but resulting in a more accurate representation from your experience? Thanks.

I recall you recommending a step/ramp test (in the TSS thread)

What's your take on the new Zwift ramp test? https://zwiftinsider.com/new-ramp-test/

reason being, with the ramp test I got a higher value than with the 2x8 min protocol (CTS).

Trainerroad is also recommending a ramp test as it reduced the number of variables like psychological, pacing, stress etc when doing a 20 minute FTP test 

https://blog.trainerroad.com/new-ramp-test-makes-ftp-testing-more-efficient-and-less-stressful/

Trainerroad is also recommending a ramp test as it reduced the number of variables like psychological, pacing, stress etc when doing a 20 minute FTP test 

https://blog.trainerroad.com/new-ramp-test-makes-ftp-testing-more-efficient-and-less-stressful/

yip the vid Shane did also made mention of this.

the step test feels weird though, felt great most of the test and then all of a sudden BOOM couldn't turn the pedals.

I prefer doing several shorter efforts (5s, 3m, 10-12m) during the same week and then look at what the power model spits out. Much easier than missioning out to a hill that takes 20m to climb and then having to pace correctly (which involves knowing the result of the test before the test!).

use it or don't.

mmm, interesting take, will look into that for sure - thanks.

heard about the ramp tests as well, will look into it. I use a "dumb" trainer though, but I believe this is a non issue.