SRAM acquires Power Tap

shaper

PRESS RELEASE: Today, SRAM proudly announces the acquisition of the PowerTap line of bicycle power meters from Saris®. The PowerTap product line includes the popular PowerTap P2 Pedal power meter system and the venerable PowerTap G3 Hub power meter line.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/11/sram-acquires-powertap-will-roll-power-meter-pedals-hubs-into-quarq-lineup/

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/sram-acquires-powertap-what-it-means-for-both-brands-and-consumers.html

hopefully they don't change supplier locally....

I'd rather deal with the okes from BPT

FULLY agree, Had a quarq and Local agents did not even know how to calibrate it

Sadly enough I would assume it would be "taken away" from BPT and Cape Cycles would be the new distributors...

Sadly enough I would assume it would be "taken away" from BPT and Cape Cycles would be the new distributors...

Could also explain why BPT have been bringing other brands into their stable.?

Sad to see this happen in the Industry, BPT great company. However, the other products in their portfolio haven't been added due to SRAM acquiring PowerTap

Interesting. Wonder what their plans are as Powertap seem to have been a fading force with hub based PMs giving way to the newer devices like Shimano and others. I'd guess they want to create a integrated system for their group sets similar to the Shimano version and move away from pedals and hubs. 

Interesting. Wonder what their plans are as Powertap seem to have been a fading force with hub based PMs giving way to the newer devices like Shimano and others. I'd guess they want to create a integrated system for their group sets similar to the Shimano version and move away from pedals and hubs. 

Or have the PT hubs built into their Zipp rims.

Then they would have all 3 options covered (along with PT pedals and Quarq cranks)

Hi all,

The sale of PowerTap would mean that Cape Cycle Systems would take over the distribution of the brand in SA, as the SRAM brand is theirs, PowerTap then falls into their portfolio.

We will continue to support PowerTap clients until Cape Cycle Systems have fully taken over the brand - although we are unsure of any timelines.

You can follow us on Facebook and Instagram to view our developments in the power meter market. Our handles are @bicyclepowertradingsa for both platforms.

We’d like to thank you all for your continued support.

Hi all,

The sale of PowerTap would mean that Cape Cycle Systems would take over the distribution of the brand in SA, as the SRAM brand is theirs, PowerTap then falls into their portfolio.

We will continue to support PowerTap clients until Cape Cycle Systems have fully taken over the brand - although we are unsure of any timelines.

You can follow us on Facebook and Instagram to view our developments in the power meter market. Our handles are @bicyclepowertradingsa for both platforms.

this is exactly why I'm sad.

CSS would never come on here and give some feedback.

Hi all,

You guys are awesome!

Hi all,

So we will not be able to have a PT calibrated again? They dont even know their current product how they heck are they now going to know what is going on with a PT

this is exactly why I'm sad.

CSS would never come on here and give some feedback.

I'm sure CCS will make a statement when they are informed by SRAM as to when they are expected to take over the distribution.

As the article says, for now its business as usual

Maybe they just bought it , to close of the company and give A bigger market share to quark 

OR maybe they are planing to integrate the pedals with quark somehow 

stranger things have happened

Or maybe they bought it because it was available for sale and the opportunity to shrink the number of established PM brands is not a small matter

Controlling the market by buying up the competition. The service from Bicycle Power has always been excellent with quick turnaround times, I sincerely hope this will be the case going forward.