Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

Been waiting for Marnitz to start a new thread, but excitement has gotten the better of me. Excitement fuelled by who's racing this year, besides the event being full, the race talent is the best there is for this type of event, all the manne are present, (except Mike W and Bruce H), its going to be Epic.

Hopefully Mike W if not racing will chirp from time to time.

We will miss Johann dearly, but hopefully it will be a good time to remember all the good that he did.

Wishing Chris and Julia all the best with the big boots to fill.

Looking forward to reconnecting here over that time with some of the community which have made this forum so rich over the last years in June/ July.

Sooo excited....

post-1509-0-07893600-1558609064_thumb.jpg

Edited by tubed

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another year of FOMO....

I know three people doing it this year - will be good to watch their progress.  It's been interesting seeing the different approaches to training between them. 

Its definitely gonna be in the shade of the main race, but surprised with RTR batching where Poser Oto are starting in the one but last batch while they both have a personal record of well under 3 days, something not many can say?

Bird, Harris and Dreyer... 

Actually quite surprised Steve hasnt suggested or designed a hubber 'pick your winner competition' , I guessing this is going to be better racing than watching a clover leaf format around the winelands for 7 days.

Now all we need is some nasty weather.

Going to be fascinating - the competitive streak in some of those gents runs very deep and its going to be massive effort to come out on top.

Sadly the womens field is limited this year. But I take my helmet off to any lady that finishes, there is no pulling on pockets or fetching bottles in this event, everyone earns their blanket

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't had snow in years, so some of that would be nice.  As well as a lekka Cape storm with multiple fronts bringing in rain and proper huddle in front of the fire weather.  :devil:

Actually quite surprised Steve hasnt suggested or designed a hubber 'pick your winner competition' , I guessing this is going to be better racing than watching a clover leaf format around the winelands for 7 days.

Going to be fascinating - the competitive streak in some of those gents runs very deep and its going to be massive effort to come out on top.

Sadly the womens field is limited this year. But I take my helmet off to any lady that finishes, there is no pulling on pockets or fetching bottles in this event, everyone earns their blanket

one does not attempt to predict the unpredictable.....

Going to be epic dot watching this year's event especially the race batch line-up!

My prediction is that weather wise, we may just have a day or two or three of some adverse conditions showing up on the radar whilst the batches strut their stuff en-route.

The weathers been too good the past 3-5yrs...... Something, somewhere it's going to have to give..... I think  :ph34r:

I see MW is lined up for RTR, I am sure he is going to have a good crack at that.

Strange not to see Tim riding.

For the racing group, I see it maybe like this:

Martin - its his 50th birthday gift, he has ridden a lot of other stuff and is now very accomplished on the mtb, but this race is the big deal for him, it really brings out the best and deepest in him, I think he will push harder than ever before.

Alex - sounds weird by saying he has something to prove - because he doesn't. But this race I think still brings out the adventurer in him in his back yard. Expect him to have some good luck for a change and to not hold anything back. Always a good sign to see even someone with his pedigree doing some route refresher in the last couple of months, looks like he has intent.

Graham - cruised last year, still at the top of his game, able to push himself very hard. He's put himself in the race group - expect an enormous effort and the others to bring out the best in him. Meticulous planner.

Jacques and Leon - JT has nothing to prove, pressure is off. I am sure he would like to go faster and enjoy himself a bit more. Leon endured missing out last year, he wont make that mistake again, he will make the most of every second. If they ride together, they could be formidable as a team. Good cyclists - can put the hammer down toward the end if needs be.

Fjord and Arno - I'm assuming there will be some sort of team up, good cyclists, going to be interesting to see Arno go all the way. Dark horses.

Liehann - analytical and calculating - will again ride his own race as fast as he can - he's been away from the race for 2 years - I suspect much of which was figuring out how to go faster - bet on him to do just that.

Gavin - had some false starts - so finishing is priority - hopefully with some good luck  and a decent engine he is in the mix. If he teams up with someone for part of the ride it would make sense.

Gawie and Scott - both fast on the bike, the fact that they are not in the race group shouldn't count them out. Gawie would like nothing more than to get to Diemersfontein and have someone have to chase his time.

I cant recall such a stacked field, its sad not to see Tim and Mike in the mix (and Marnitz!). Theo would also be competitive. Hopefully these guys this year set a new bar for Bruce - because when he comes back I think it could be a different game.

(lastly I saw a comment on FB wondering what Ramses would do - simply he would get lost and wander for a while. this event is principally about two things route knowledge/ route strategy and endurance, without the first it is near impossible to compete)

Can't wait!

Those are my amateur comments -