Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ 11.30am - Seems Mike is cutting his own path across the Knira flood plains......... :mellow:

Deliberate or fatigue?

I think he has been there before - its his own better line....

Go Mike!!

https://htonl.dev.openstreetmap.org/ngi-tiles/#12/-30.3179/28.6671

quite nice to see maps similar to what they see, we often don't have paths and things marked on the google map

omg..awesome link so i don't need to go get my pdfs out each time now?!!!

The maps have had a lot of work done on them.

Chris Fisher redid them after he first did the race, and just made them so user friendly.

mag N lines drawn in.

notes printed near important junctions

previous map overlap

Seems very simple but it takes a lot of effort and is an immense help to those who are not that familiar with map nav.

post-1830-0-57887100-1560506683_thumb.jpg

And then, you'll see there's a sort of shading that goes with the contour lines. That is digital sorcery, and I hope the guy who did it (Not Chris) gets the credit he deserves.

it is a form of relief shading, fairly simple process but it takes many attempts to get it looking just right.

I lie, looks like they took the DEM, converted it to a slope from elevation and then shaded based on slope values... very well done. Simple but effective as well

2016, Martin left Malek at 13h15. Mike has some catching up to do this arvie and this evening. What does tonights weather forecast look like on Lehana's? Wind? 

2016, Martin left Malek at 13h15. Mike has some catching up to do this arvie and this evening. What does tonights weather forecast look like on Lehana's? Wind? 

If you want to be superman, the cape must flutter.....

And I think Mike has been doing an awesome job of fluttering that cape  ;)  

Lets hope the weather plays along as reward for his efforts....

Mike is going to Rhodes and then he's done, Marty was just pulling in there on his way 500 odd kays into a 2200 sunday stroll.

mike should get to malekholonyane at about 4pm.

some numbers

dist - ~340km

alt gain - ~9400m

time - 34hours

Mike is going to Rhodes and then he's done, Marty was just pulling in there on his way 500 odd kays into a 2200 sunday stroll.

mike should get to malekholonyane at about 4pm.

some numbers

dist - ~340km

alt gain - ~9400m

time - 34hours

Martin set the record in 2016. He did not do RASA in that year

Any update on Mike? All the communication seems to be quiet and his tracker too....

Would have been a tough task to get from Tinana to Rhodes in about 6 hrs if I calculate it correctly.

What a ride!