Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

Any update on Mike? All the communication seems to be quiet and his tracker too....

Would have been a tough task to get from Tinana to Rhodes in about 6 hrs if I calculate it correctly.

What a ride!

Its impossible to do so even fr Mike.

Axel(is Daniel with him) off his normal pace think the night owl hunting in Ntsikeni got to hem. 

Three batch one guys doing well got a bit lost on the sidetrack climbing to Ntsikeni plateau during the night. Not sure why they back tracked as they where near some track and you should be able to cut across to rejoin route. They left Ntsikeni near Axel Daniel and my time from two years ago. But thats where they started to fade having pushed to hard on day one. Did they learn from their mistakes? And it seems the new third man is actually the strong one.

Sub three days still possible for them, actually aven for Axel but unlikely

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the second and third fastest record times to Rhodes, after the 2016 record?

Not sure I think mike's time from two years ago is the second fastest when he came in around midday so say 54 -55 hours.

Then its either mike again or axel and daniel in a bit over 60 hours also two year ago.

Obviously some have goone faster then that during Rasa

What is the second and third fastest record times to Rhodes, after the 2016 record?

Martin set the record in 2016. He did not do RASA in that year

Kind of depends if you count a RASA ride to rides as eligible for the RTR record.

It just seems obvious to me that it should count, and it's clearly harder as well.

this is from Carl

Martin set the record in 2016. He did not do RASA in that year

Kind of depends if you count a RASA ride from PMB to Rhodes as eligible for the RTR record.

It just seems obvious to me that it should count, and it's clearly harder as well.

this is from Carl

post-1830-0-90709100-1560626334_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Shebeen

For those dot watchers wondering who is gonna push to Rhodes today.

Axel is gonna be fine IMO

I see Pieter Henry and Carlo trying but IMO they left Malek a bit too late, and have so complicated their mission

2017 Axel and Daniel left Vuvu at 2PM and got to do (most of) Lehana's in day light.

Myself left Vuvu at 14h30 not keen on gettin stuck on Lehana in the dark(had never been there) went for the detour hammered it and got to the abandoned farm at the top of the exit road in last light.

Good luck Axel, and don't lock the container as a tip for the other three wanderers.

A bit of an Add we all left Malek that year around 5h30. Myself go to Tinana at 10h30 Axel and Daniel beiing a lot lighter had already dropped me by quite a bit on the climbs those three are really in for a night wonder up Lehana's

Edited by The Crazy German

For those dot watchers wondering who is gonna push to Rhodes today.

Axel is gonna be fine IMO

I see Pieter Henry and Carlo trying but IMO they left Malek a bit too late, and have so complicated their mission

2017 Axel and Daniel left Vuvu at 2PM and got to do (most of) Lehana's in day light.

Myself left Vuvu at 14h30 not keen on gettin stuck on Lehana in the dark(had never been there) went for the detour hammered it and got to the abandoned farm at the top of the exit road in last light.

Good luck Axel, and don't lock the container as a tip for the other three wanderers.

A bit of an Add we all left Malek that year around 5h30. Myself go to Tinana at 10h30 Axel and Daniel beiing a lot lighter had already dropped me by quite a bit on the climbs those three are really in for a night wonder up Lehana's

This was prophetic, Carlo, Henry and Pieter did the full moon tour of Lehana's, arriving at Tena Head for breakfast after making the very most of the time on the trail all night, they now seem to be smashing their credit cards at Tena Head as the sun comes up. What a perfect way to experience the trail, memories they will never forget.

Quick question for those more up to date with the route this year.

Has the 'stations of the cross' pre-ride option been removed from the route this year, the compulsory route being that you have to ride from Malek to Ongeluksnek on the route, ie you cannot pre-ride it in the afternoon and then ride out on the road the next morning?

It seems that way as nobody is doing what amounted to a silly sneak in previous years.

Far better to get into Malek, drink tea and eat vetkoek and then take your chances across the wet grasslands in the cold early morning. 

Quick question for those more up to date with the route this year.

Has the 'stations of the cross' pre-ride option been removed from the route this year, the compulsory route being that you have to ride from Malek to Ongeluksnek on the route, ie you cannot pre-ride it in the afternoon and then ride out on the road the next morning?

It seems that way as nobody is doing what amounted to a silly sneak in previous years.

Far better to get into Malek, drink tea and eat vetkoek and then take your chances across the wet grasslands in the cold early morning. 

Correct - that option is no longer available this year