Wheels Manufacturing BB

thebob

Yip. Tolerances were way off. Bb cups were too thick so when crank as tightened up it seized the bb. Same problem with three different Gxp cranks and same problem. Replaced bb with genuine part and pesto problem solved.

Unit in my road bike lasted a month. Current enduro bb is a year old and no hassles

Have only one experience with a Token BB; used a Token BB BB30, and lasted me about 8 months and a wet couple of races without issue. I will concede a BB30 bearing is way different to a BB in cups.

Now on Rotor BB’s, super happy.

If I change from Rotor, it will be to SKF MTRX.

Yip. Tolerances were way off. Bb cups were too thick so when crank as tightened up it seized the bb. Same problem with three different Gxp cranks and same problem. Replaced bb with genuine part and pesto problem solved.

Unit in my road bike lasted a month. Current enduro bb is a year old and no hassles

Interesting, I was thinking of giving them a go, glad I saw this comment before I made a decision to buy... it is a pity though because their bb solutions look quite novel and potentially very good.

A Wheels Manufacturing should be standard on ALL PF bikes. When the bike is brand new you should take out the existing PF BB and bin it.

Pop in the WM BB and enjoy low maintenance squeak free riding.

It would give me great joy if manufacturers dropped the PF system completely. What a load of codswallop.

T47 BB for the win!

My first Token Ceramic BB just past 10 000km. Fitted another 1 on my other bike and 7 000km problem free. Both bikes running shimano.

As with all things in life there are good and bad experiences. I do like the engineering of the screw together units for PF30 and BB386evo (basically the same thing just a wider bb shell).

If they had stock I’d give it a go but my GXP experience wasn’t good.

A Wheels Manufacturing should be standard on ALL PF bikes. When the bike is brand new you should take out the existing PF BB and bin it.

Pop in the WM BB and enjoy low maintenance squeak free riding.

It would give me great joy if manufacturers dropped the PF system completely. What a load of codswallop.

T47 BB for the win!

But wait Sram have now revolutionized Bottom brackets by standardizing the bearing size for Threaded, pressfit... Oh wait

FWIW Praxis is the other large manufacturer of these 'conversion' BB's. I have the PF30 to Shimano one in my latest bike. They work in a similar fashion as WM....expanding inside the frame while threading it together. 

they get awesome reviews too and mine has been flawless in the short while i have been riding it. Some reviews suggest they have better bearings than WM ones in terms of longevity.

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/bottom-brackets.html?manufacturer=1144

https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets-old/conversion-bb/

you can get them from Merlin Cycles UK for around R850 pre UPS shipping at R480 ish...but if you throw in a few other bits in your bin you'll come in cheaper than local easily.

Edited by morneS555

Conversion bb is only to take a bb30 or of30/368evo to a Shimano 24mm or gxp 24/22mm crank axle. The big pressfit issue is Bb30 and PF30/386evo where 30mm franks are used as suppliers don’t seem to import many yet they’re an absolute necessity if you want creak free bottom brackets.

E-thirteen has a pf30 unit but it’s not DUB. Might be possible to replace the bearings with DUB sized bearings? I haven’t explored this in detail yet. Just an idea

Is it not possible to just press out the bearings in the cups and replace it with ne ones?

Iwth the very first Shimano bb's yes, but they noticed a drop in sales when people started doing this so they started making Bb's with abridge so you couldn't do this and had to a buy anew Bb everytime

Biggest dick move ever from shimano

Interesting, I was thinking of giving them a go, glad I saw this comment before I made a decision to buy... it is a pity though because their bb solutions look quite novel and potentially very good.

fwiw I've done just shy of 4000km with mine and it's seen a fair share of mud and water which previously would bring back the lovely noise only a PF can make  :cursing: 

(shimano crank/ Giant XTC comp)

Is it not possible to just press out the bearings in the cups and replace it with ne ones?

problem is not always the bearings themselves, the "connection" between and cup and frame is the cause of creaks in 9/10 cases

Iwth the very first Shimano bb's yes, but they noticed a drop in sales when people started doing this so they started making Bb's with abridge so you couldn't do this and had to a buy anew Bb everytime

Biggest dick move ever from shimano

token ninja bearings are replaceable, and you don't even have to take the cups out the frame 

• 1 month later...

Good Day All

Switchback Sports is proud to announce that we have taken over the exclusive distribution of Wheels Manufacturing for South Africa. We have received our first stock order and have almost all the bottom bracket options in stock (ABEC-3 to start - ABEC-5 & AC to follow). This includes all the new WMFG DUB BB's.

We have also received stock of most of the rear derailleur hangers we ordered and are confident we will be able carry on providing good service & stock to your local bike shops.

Please feel free to drop us a mail at info@switchbacksports.co.za and we can assist and make sure you local bike shop will have the items you are looking for.

We look forward to the continued support.