The Official Ride Your Bike Overseas Thread

Slowbee

There are numerous thread relating to the viability of riding overseas, especially locations etc.

What we do not have is one indicating the types of costs, planning and costs of getting to events. etc.

Thought it would be good to start an official thread to discuss doing overseas riding, especially the costings and planning.

As a start have a read of these threads:

https://www.bikehub....by-attractions/

https://www.bikehub....ps-tire-choice/

https://www.bikehub....as-bike-travel/

https://www.bikehub....es-on-emirates/

https://www.bikehub....ip-to-mallorca/

Also look towards the end of this thread for more info (will move posts across)

https://www.bikehub....-finally-burst/

I've documented my trips to Morz a million times but our trip to Bassano hasn't been.

We wanted to go to Italy to ride bikes. My only requirement was that we ride a Giro Col. I happened upon a Col Collective vid where they rode up Monte Grappa and the idea was born.

The plan was to base ourselves in Bassano Del Grappa which is at the foot of Monte Grappa. Monte Grappa itself is a MASSIVE mountain with 11 paved routes to the top and the famous San Boldo on the back. It's pretty much Italy's version of Ventoux with it being used in the Giro numerous times including 2017.

Budget

Flights 22k

Travel & transfers 3k

Airbnb 6k

Food and other bits 8k

We flew Qatar to Venice. Then we caught a taxi to Mestriere station when we took a train to Bassano. We then took a taxi from the train station to our Airbnb. In retrospect we should have just taken a shuttle from Venice airport to Bassano. We did so on the return and that was 90 Euro. We only saved about 30 Euro by going on the train so the saving was not worth it IMO. So lesson learned.

We got a great cheap little Airbnb apartment in Bassano. Bassano is off the tourist map so accommodation is cheap. Another mistake here. Our Airbnb didn't have wifi or a washing machine. Another lesson learned.

The riding was amazing but we really were not prepared for how hard Grappa was going to be. 1600m of climbing with about 300m of dowhill in 27km. It was hard. The rest of the riding was also incredible.

In all we were there for 6 nights. We did 5 days of riding. 3 were amazing and 2 were not great just running the flatlands through italy. We may as well have been in Boksburg. We really struggled with feeding due to the lack of supermarket close by. We happened on the medieval town of Marostica which was absolutely stunning.

There is so much history in the area with Monte Grappa being the scene of a particularly bloody WW1 battle. They are still finding soldiers bones on Monte Grappa and you can still see the pock marks from mortars on the ground and many little man made caves on all the mountain roads. 

Bassano on a budget. Great trip IMO. Some better planning by me in terms of location close to a supermarket and being fitter would have made it a much better trip. If you are a banter please leave that **** at home if you are going to Italy. We REALLY underestimated what 1600m of straight climbing is for 2 VERY weekend warriors but we rode to the top of Grappa. Albeit with some cajoling, bribing and finally some begging.

Still a LOOONG way to go. Corner 3 on Grappa

post-83454-0-42184600-1564570828_thumb.jpg

One of the many tunnels on Monte Grappa

post-83454-0-80748600-1564570843_thumb.jpg

Bassano at night.

post-83454-0-77958600-1564570863_thumb.jpg

Valstagna on the way to Arsie. The Giro came up this road in 2017. They went up Grappa and up this road with the stage finishing in Asiagio.

post-83454-0-09333000-1564570886_thumb.jpg

The Brenta river looking towards the wooden bridge and Monte Grappa. There's a cool little watering hole on the bridge where they sell copious amounts of.... Well Grappa of course.

post-83454-0-53125600-1564570915_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Someone posted a vid of riding in the UK.

What are the pricing levels like for those trips?

Someone posted a vid of riding in the UK.

What are the pricing levels like for those trips?

Yeah I also want to know.

Not exactly related but last year for our  England trip, I wanted specific info on where to hire bicycles, family friendly, nice rides etc.  

Seeing as here on the hub it's normally pretty helpful I figured there must be similar in England  so I joined  -  cyclechat.net   -  and people were very helpful, gave info, explained bridal path rules and even had offers to accompany us.  

• 4 weeks later...

So yesterday I accidentally tripped and booked flights for next year. My better half and I are flying KLM to Toulouse via Amsterdam.

We're spending 9 nights in Argelès-Gazost. The plan is to tick off a few of the big TDF cols. For me the big 3 is Hautacam, Luz Ardiden and of course Tourmalet. I've always been a huge fan of the tour and riding on that hallowed ground holds a special place for me.

Well be renting bikes. For roadies it makes sense. We'll take our saddles and pedals and mail the shops our measurements. Maybe. Just maybe we'll slip across the border into Andorra and ride Arcalis.

On the way back we'll spend 2 nights in Amsterdam. Quick in and out before the novelty wears off.

So yesterday I accidentally tripped and booked flights for next year. My better half and I are flying KLM to Toulouse via Amsterdam.

We're spending 9 nights in Argelès-Gazost. The plan is to tick off a few of the big TDF cols. For me the big 3 is Hautacam, Luz Ardiden and of course Tourmalet. I've always been a huge fan of the tour and riding on that hallowed ground holds a special place for me.

Well be renting bikes. For roadies it makes sense. We'll take our saddles and pedals and mail the shops our measurements. Maybe. Just maybe we'll slip across the border into Andorra and ride Arcalis.

On the way back we'll spend 2 nights in Amsterdam. Quick in and out before the novelty wears off.

Lekker!

Who do you use for rentals?

I used www.bcyclet.com while visiting Grenoble in June - excellent service and decent bikes...

Lekker!

Who do you use for rentals?

I used www.bcyclet.com while visiting Grenoble in June - excellent service and decent bikes...

There are a few shops in Argeles. Failing that we'll look in Lourdes which is just down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the trip we did for Giro this year - Group of 6, which helped with the cost of cars and accommodation, and we spent 9 days in Italy. We did 11 recognised climbs over about 600km and 14,000m climbing.

Day 4 (stage finish, on foot), 5 (stage start by car), and 8 (stage finish by bike) we watched the Giro. Day 6 we started along the route but we didn't hang around to watch the riders.

Day 1 - Arrive Verona, drive 3 1/2h to Ponte di Legno and check in (PdL is at the base of the Gavia)

Day 2 - Plan was to ride the Gavia-Mortirolo loop, but the Gavia was closed for snow so we just rode the Mortirolo**** instead. The reduced route was 110km, 3000m climbing

Day 3 - took a drive to Cles and rode the Passo Palade*** and Mendola* (for some drier weather). 95km, 2300m climbing

Day 4 - The Giro was going to finish in town, so we did a quick trip up the Gavia**** until the snow drifts stopped us. 33km, 1300m

Day 5 - Transfer day. We spent the day in the car, stopping to watch the Giro stage start, and then again to visit the Moser** museum (and wine farm) in Trento. got to Can late afternoon and settled in to our second digs.

Day 6 - We rode a parts of the next 2 day's Giro routes, through Belluno and Veneto, and then up over the San Baldo pass**** (WW1 pass built in 100 days by women and children). 110km, 1300m

Day 7 - Sella Ronde*****. enough said - 4 great passes. google it. 60km, 2100m

Day 8 - first and last climbs on the stage. Cima Campo*** and Croce d'Aune****. Beer garden at the stage end to watch the pros come in, and then downhill home. 113km, 2800m,

Day 9 - drive back to VErona, plane home.

Return flights JHN-Verona was R8,400 for the flight plus another R2,000 for the extra bag for the bike. so R10,400

Car hire - 1 kombi and 1 estate = R20,000 for 8 days. The kombi so that we could fit 6 bike boxes, and the estate for 4 passengers. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to hire 3 estate cars, but the kombi was big enough to take 7 bikes + 7 cyclists for day trips, which was nice. R3,300 a person for cars, plus petrol made this about R3,600ea

Accommodation - AirBNB @ R3,000 a night. so R500 each x 7 nights = R3500.

So that's R17,500 for 8 days/7 nights (before food), of which 6 days we rode. Food was a combination of local restaurants and supermarkets. After some drinks and a few nights out this was about R3500 each, but could have been cheaper. Total = R21,000.

Edited by 100Tours

Rented some skinny wheels in france. Sault to Mont Ventoux. The "easier" (Is any uphill easy?) but longer route to the top.
The downhill as FUN!
We also did a 56km loop around Sault through the lavender feilds the day before. Sault -> Aurel -> Saint-Trinit -> Saint-Christol -> Simiane-la-Rotonde -> Sault.

post-42648-0-29671200-1567499374_thumb.jpg

post-42648-0-59008000-1567499387_thumb.jpg

post-42648-0-15491900-1567499403_thumb.jpg

post-42648-0-94167900-1567499507_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

A group of us are doing a bike trip in France from Annecy to Nice in September, and we need to send our bike boxes down to Nice as they won't fit in our support vehicle. I came across another thread that recommended bikeflights.com but I'm sure that we can use cheaper transport than flying empty boxes at $300 a box.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

sounds lekker, I'll be doing the 2 big Spring classics, Flanders & Paris Roubaix, which is a week apart in between I was thinking of getting in one or 2 Cols over in the Alps or Pyrenees, does anyone think this is feasible & can make any recommendations and suggestions?

sounds lekker, I'll be doing the 2 big Spring classics, Flanders & Paris Roubaix, which is a week apart in between I was thinking of getting in one or 2 Cols over in the Alps or Pyrenees, does anyone think this is feasible & can make any recommendations and suggestions?

My recommendation would be to take goodies to make a snowman along the way...