Scott Spark 'diy' Respray

CScriba

Thought id share my last few weeks experience trying to respray a used Scott Spark frame which i bought for a bargain.

The bike is to get the missus to get back into riding -  she is quite over the moon excited.

Frame: Scott Spark 700 Contessa 27.5 - 2014 - small

The chap i bought it from evidently tried a respray himself...a bad attempt at that, runs and oversprays on everything...now off to work.

post-4213-0-39462600-1566307469_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 2.

Sand the whole bloody thing to death.

Lesson Learnt- use something finer than 150grit sandpaper, 100 grit can easily leave you with some rather bulky scratches to deal with later.

Note: Remember to take more photos :oops:

Photo below is a test of some Silver/aluminium coloured "Hydro Dipping" with Humbrol modelling enamel...not too shabby

post-4213-0-27837900-1566310394_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christian.S

Ooooo, I LOVE these projects !!

PS - think I am working on projects with your missus, or her identical twin ...  (does she work in Cape Town CBD?)

Step 3.

Clean and degrease everything. wash about 100 times, and rub down with Isopropyl alchohol and Nitrile Gloves from dischem.

Mask all the threads and bearings etc;

Proceed to Spray Paint everything with grey primer.

Note: spend some money on decent primer, like rustoleum. the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

Side Note: Use the opportunity of the cheap primer to fill in all the scratches you made while sanding the frame in the first place.

Photo:  Wet sanding with 330grit paper really helped smooth out the scratches, and the contrasting primer colour helps you to not over sand.

post-4213-0-81160300-1566375753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christian.S

Step 4.

While you spend some time reflecting on your primer mistake :mellow: , build yourself a spray painting 'tree', and spray 'booth'.

Luckily my Flat-block has an outhouse room which is unused, which i re-appropriated.

Re-assure your missus that this was all part of the plan!

Photo:  Workshop stand with some makeshift hooks cable tied to it, for hanging parts while spraying. cover the whole thing in newspaper to save from overspray.

post-4213-0-22252100-1566376301_thumb.jpg

Step 5.

After purchasing some proper primer and preparing your spray booth, proceed to cover your parts with 2 or three coats of paint.matching primer colour with eventual colour helps with depth.

Note: Black primer absorbs light just about as well as a black hole. check out that fnish!

The primer can be lightly wet sanded to remove any remaining high spots, or blemishes.

post-4213-0-84275800-1566382908_thumb.jpg

post-4213-0-42809000-1566382924_thumb.jpg

I will admit, that this is a retrospective account...i did all the prep and painting last week and Monday this week, and am now documenting and posting in hindsight :thumbup:

Spreading it out across a few days of posts for dramatic effect :clap:

Good move!