Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

All the SA mass participation events seem to be putting their hands up and saying that they will act when the Government acts... but that may well be far too late.

We had Argus last weekend, we have Om die Dam happening tomorrow (15 000 runners), Cape Epic wants to start on Sunday... 

We've got Chiefs versus Sundowns at Loftus, Super Rugby game with crowds still...

What could go wrong

Ja... I'm more concerned about the spread of Corona to the townships and informal settlements. It will spread through there like wild fire.

The major 'outrage' of the Corona pandemic is that it has effected the top 5% and is spreading due to the affluent's ability to cross boarders willy nilly.

Pandemics have historically been more localised and effected lower classes with less ability to cross boarders at such a rapid rate.

The outcry is directly proportional to the demographic of those affected, more so than the potency of the virus.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean if the whole event is cancelled by the organisers....

Oops ????

Ja i dunno, i saw 2 separate groups at our train station yesterday heading that way with their mtbs all boxed up... I imagine all those traveling now or already just arrived would hope it continues.

That being said it must be a high risk of spreading the virus with all the EU teams....

Another damned if you do and damned if you don’t situation

Ja... I'm more concerned about the spread of Corona to the townships and informal settlements. It will spread through there like wild fire.

The major 'outrage' of the Corona pandemic is that it has effected the top 5% and is spreading due to the affluent's ability to cross boarders willy nilly.

Pandemics have historically been more localised and effected lower classes with less ability to cross boarders at such a rapid rate.

The outcry is directly proportional to the demographic of those affected, more so than the potency of the virus.

This and our TB, HIV issues... and our less than sturdy public healthcare  :(

We had Argus last weekend, we have Om die Dam happening tomorrow (15 000 runners), Cape Epic wants to start on Sunday...

('Only' ~4000 on the 50 and ~2000 on the 21 for ~6000 https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/startlist/index.php?id=4747 ?)

But yes I agree with you re the principle of timing / pro-activeness.

All the (what I think) reasoned reports I read emphasize to practice 'inter personal distance' and 'isolation' without delay.

Edited by Pieter-za

('Only' ~4000 on the 50 and ~2000 on the 21 for ~6000 https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/startlist/index.php?id=4747 ?) 

But yes I agree with you re the principal of timing / pro-activeness.

All the (what I think) reasoned reports I read emphasize to practice 'inter personal distance' and 'isolation' without delay. 

Thanks... not sure why I had the 15k number in my head - I've done the event enough times to know better  :blush: 

On the bold bit... races, start pens, water points... not really possible

Exactly.

This will severely impact the fatality statistics and cause loo roll and hand sanitizer prices to exceed that of platinum.

Realistically the old, the sick, the infirm and the young are vulnerable to most viral infections and bacterial diseases, but up until now it hasn't spread to rural areas with our sorts of TB, HIV and general poor health and living conditions. 

If it gets into the ghetto's in India and our informal settlements, the poop is seriously going to hit the fan re statistics. 

The virus won't become more potent, but the statistics will sky rocket and proper global panic will ensue...... Call me a doomsdayer, but this could be an amazing sci fi movie plot as to how the world and nature fought back!

I to think they will be pulling the plug on the Cape Epic. Can't see how they can go ahead without all the facilities necessary to ensure the health of everyone participating.

Australian GP, Cancelled

PGA, cancelled till further notice

ATP Postponed for 6 weeks then to be reviewed

Not a decisions that have been taken lightly ...

WSL surfing events off, NBA off, concerts etc and boarders closing. None of these countries or events went ahead in some countries even with a low infection rate. They simply cancelled and dealt with it. 

I wonder what the refund policy will be?....  :eek:

As of today you getting no refund, from what I understand the only way is if the City / Governments declares the banned events of 1000 people and more the insurance can kick in. I am not 100% sure of this but its what I understand.

WSL surfing events off, NBA off, concerts etc and boarders closing. None of these countries or events went ahead in some countries even with a low infection rate. They simply cancelled and dealt with it. 

HAd dinner with a mate from Germany ( don't run for the hand sanitiser yet - they were tested before they left for SA and were cleared - flew in via Amsterdam too)

He's business is events organising. He's loosing Euro 50K between now and June due t cancelled events. The German government yet o confirm if they will reimburse living costs

This was a convo I had yesterday, TB is a big issue in SA, how many cases of Corona in townships have unfortunately been diagnosed as TB as it is common?

HAd dinner with a mate from Germany ( don't run for the hand sanitiser yet - they were tested before they left for SA and were cleared - flew in via Amsterdam too)

He's business is events organising. He's loosing Euro 50K between now and June due t cancelled events. The German government yet o confirm if they will reimburse living costs

Terrible and sad to hear. This is the 1 knock on I dont like hearing. My wife son applied for a job here, tourist industry serving company. She was perfect for the job but they simply mailed back a few days later saying we want you but with what is happening we in trouble and were open and honest. 

Terrible and sad to hear. This is the 1 knock on I dont like hearing. My wife son applied for a job here, tourist industry serving company. She was perfect for the job but they simply mailed back a few days later saying we want you but with what is happening we in trouble and were open and honest. 

people don't seem to realise this yet. while everyone is hysterical about the zombie apocalypse, the more serious implications of the 'post apocalypse' go unnoticed almost.

The lingering effects on our day to day lives after it all has gone will far outstrip a silly overhyped flu.

It is right about time for a global recession if you consider the ±10y cycle.

Anyone in a nonessential positions at their workplace need to seriously consider the fact that they are first on the chopping block when the belt gets tightened....and I say this as someone who was ejected into the professional world after university right the previous recession circa 2008....and being in the building industry back then made it even worse lol. 

This time around it will affect alot more if it keeps going at this rate....and social media - as usual - is not helping.

This was a convo I had yesterday, TB is a big issue in SA, how many cases of Corona in townships have unfortunately been diagnosed as TB as it is common?

The TB patients typically go to their local clinic.

I can confirm the clinics have been properly briefed, and can do the diagnoses, then off to Tygerberg (or similar) to get treated.

TWO points to consider :

- you will be in the same waiting room, with no personal space, for some time before being diagnosed ....

- ALL staff were trained .... not all may be equally efficient at dealing with this  ..... comes down to the human factor ...

Had THREE false alarms in the last few days in the Cape, some implicating areas where we work .... the panic caused by these false alarms are alarming ....

Keep a safe distance, safe hygiene is realistically all the normal person can do in their day to day life.

Edited by ChrisF

can just imagine the betties and boytjies at AB HQ realising that once again they got goofed too much in jan and feb getting settled into the new year, and now they have just 6 weeks to do 11 weeks of work and will be popping uppers, pulling sick all nighters and getting favours from suppliers to miraculously make it all happen again. Knowing there's a chance that the whole shebang gets shutdown sometime soon anyway, this option comes up, and they like, ja bru, let's put it on ICE.

[alert - clearly satirical, I'm sure the Afrikaburn people are a solid bunch of organised A-types, but the stoner hippie stereotype is, like not there by coincidence bru.]

The TB patients typically go to their local clinic.

I can confirm the clinics have been properly briefed, and can do the diagnoses, then off to Tygerberg (or similar) to get treated.

TWO points to consider :

- you will be in the same waiting room, with no personal space, for some time before being diagnosed ....

- ALL staff were trained .... not all may be equally efficient at dealing with this  ..... comes down to the human factor ...

Had THREE false alarms in the last few days in the Cape, some implicating areas where we work .... the panic caused by these false alarms are alarming ....

Keep a safe distance, safe hygiene is realistically all the normal person can do in their day to day life.

Thank you ChrisF, this is good info and knowledge learnt. 

Great info and glad everyone is untrained on this matter. 3 false alarms would create a small stroke in me.