Sani2C - Where to begin

kappiemouton1985

Hi Guys

I want to sign up for the 2020 Sani2C but have no idea where to begin. First off i'm from Cape Town area.

What i do want to know is

1. Is it easier to fly or to do a road trip, hence all the luggage/bike etc.

2. If i fly do i fly to and from Durban and if durban - must i go with shuttle to destination - will they be able to      transport all my stuff

3. What is the cost for shuttle to Glencairn Farm from Durban roughly.

4. From my understanding you get a 100litre black bin for all your stuff, what must i do with all my other bags etc.

I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me what to pack, how to pack, also any do's and don't s. 

Thanks

hi  - it's a long drive but if you have the time, why not.  You can have your car shuttled back to Scottburgh - a flight is quicker and from CT the cost vs petrol must be close.  You could probably arrange a lift by posting here.  A flight to JHB would save money

Everything fits the box - on the Sani site they guide you on what to pack.  One bag is all you need.  Comfy warm clothes for after the days riding, sleeping bag and pillow, 2 or 3 bibs/socks/shirts and nutrition. Bum cream. Essential bike tools Toothbrush, toothpaste and soap.  Earphones to drown out the snoring and a charging device although even charging points are available.

The village has all the food you need and its all laid on pretty nicely.

You need less than you think you need for a very enjoyable 3 days

Hi Guys

I want to sign up for the 2020 Sani2C but have no idea where to begin. First off i'm from Cape Town area.

1. Is it easier to fly or to do a road trip, hence all the luggage/bike etc.

2. If i fly do i fly to and from Durban and if durban - must i go with shuttle to destination - will they be able to      transport all my stuff

3. What is the cost for shuttle to Glencairn Farm from Durban roughly.

4. From my understanding you get a 100litre black bin for all your stuff, what must i do with all my other bags etc.

I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me what to pack, how to pack, also any do's and don't s. 

Thanks

Don't pack so much stuff. 

Pack only what you are going to need over the 3 days.  Less is more.  

Trust me on this one.   :thumbup:

Best advice as above!...'Less is more' is probably the most important thing you will hear for Sani2C. Speak to your partner and decide who will carry what. Don't duplicate except for a spare tube and a bomb each coz you have 4 wheels. One chain link, if you both on 11spd or 12 spd, one multitool, etc etc

absolutely …. packing and re packing that black box everyday... Less is more great advice.

and then once you have packed your box and strapped it up and you realize you forgot to put chammy on....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm also a first timer for the Sani 2 C. 

Its my first stage race. I am very excited. Will be following this thread closely. I am from Pretoria though, so I will probably drive down there. 

I also think less is more, and I plan to just take the necessities. 

I am super stoked. 

Glencairn farm is very cold. You can take extra sleeping bag and gear for the first night, there is a truck which goes straight to finish for everything you don't need in the race. The other two stops are not too cold.

Hi Guys

1. Is it easier to fly or to do a road trip, hence all the luggage/bike etc. Flying is less trouble, but send your bike by road. There are usually a couple of bike transport options. We had our bikes collected from work in Cape town, about 3 days before. It was ready & waiting for us at the start and at the finish we simply dropped it off, dirt & all. The Monday after the race it was delivered to us in Cape Town, cleaned and lubed.

2. If i fly do i fly to and from Durban and if durban - must i go with shuttle to destination - will they be able to      transport all my stuff Fly to Durban. Then get the shuttle bus from the airport to the start. You have to book this beforehand. It makes the logistics much easier than to rent a car.

3. What is the cost for shuttle to Glencairn Farm from Durban roughly. Don't know, but a few hundred bucks. Not very expensive.

4. From my understanding you get a 100litre black bin for all your stuff, what must i do with all my other bags etc. You can send stuff you will not need during the race straight from the start to the finish and collect it there. Clean clothes for after and the trip back. Only things you will need for the 3 race days go into the black bin.

I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me what to pack, how to pack, also any do's and don't s. Pack as light as possible. Take only spares for difficult to find items. Derailleur hanger for an exotic bike?You will be able to get almost anything from the support bike shops at the race villages. Clean riding clothes for every day. One set of comfy clothes for the evenings. A rain jacket. An extra layer for if it gets cold. Arm warmers, leg warmers, buff? A warm sleeping bag. Smallish pillow. Newspaper to stick in wet cycling shoes and have them near dry next morning. Your own energy drink, gel, whatever you are used to. Sunscreen. Pack things you want to keep dry in zip lock bags. Camera!

Thanks

Other stuff to do!:

Enjoy, look around, stop, take pictures, talk to people. Help someone. Drink beer. Did I say to train enough? Marvel at the Umkumaas Valley. Curse it when climbing out of it. Don't stress about floating bridges, just ride them a bit faster than you think is wise. Have fun. Post a race report and pictures on BikeHub.

First - Get entry

Second - Get plane tickets

Third - Get shuttle bus tickets

Everything else will fall into place

When to tell the wife? Figure that out yourself! ;)  :D

Edited by DJR

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

Not sure if this is the correct topic to post this in, but my partner has run into circumstances precluding him from doing the race. I am now solo and looking for a new partner to do the Adventure or Race with. If you are interested, please inbox me and we can have a phone call to see if we could train and race well together.