Mogale Spring Cycle Challenge race info

Underachiever

Shot

Shot, I realised I didn't post distance or elevation (according to Strava):

Distance: 78.6km

Elevation: 961m

Go down Sterkfontein and Hekpoort and back up on the Magalies side (that's the uphill drag).

Best.

Nice little race - hard effort as suspected, but the money goes for a good cause. 

And it was fairly safe.  I'll be back next year, even if it means a bit of a trek from the East.

'n Paar lekker foties daar!

Ja those roadworks made for some interesting riding. Would have been nice if they were marked in some way. None the less, enjoyed the race. The second half and the wind made it tough.

Descended Hekpoort in a group of 6 and caught a larger group just before the left to Magalies. The group was grenaded shortly after Magalies, rode in a smaller group till about the game reserve and more or less solo'd to the end.

Nice to see a lot of support from the Metro police. Will be back next year.

How was the road section past the Orient Hills settlement? There was a lot of civil unrest there in the past with the road being ripped up etc. How is it now?

How was the road section past the Orient Hills settlement? There was a lot of civil unrest there in the past with the road being ripped up etc. How is it now?

Brand new road!  Everything else very rustig!!  Luckily!!

I went for a 55km ride on Saturday morning with my Gravel bike and started at around 6:15am about 2km up the gravel road opposite the R24 / R560 intersection.  I cycled to the R563 and then I went up to the top of the Hekpoort Pass and then about 1km down the other side when I decided to turn around to go back the way I came.

Near the top of Hekpoort pass at around 7:25am I noticed some safety vehicles with riders (leaders) coming down the pass, soon followed by a few groups.   When I turned around on top of the pass to cycle back to the R24 I found myself riding with some groups and noticed the Mogale Race number on their backs  :D   Geeepers those first few groups were hammering it and I found it extremely difficult to keep up with them :unsure:   

Note:   Hekpoort pass a very nice climb doing it from the northern side