2020 Tour de France

pista

I suspect that the point where they wanted to provide the last feed was filled with spectators so they just kept moving along till they found a suitably social distancing spot but didn't take note of the distance to the finish. Probably an amateur mistake but an easy one to make in these COVID times

To make it worse it was his Cousin who is also his trainer that handed it to him.. so very much planned..they get a 0/10 for execution [emoji6]

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Gen, I have laodshedding from 14h00 to 16h30 so going to rely on those updates please :)

Even if it's just about cheese, for blessed are the cheesemakers

PS: Gen, I have laodshedding from 14h00 to 16h30 so going to rely on those updates please :)

Ha ha ha...I will try bring out my inner commentator.

Jis and I really felt that stage yesterday..until I didn’t [emoji852]

Edited by Gen

I suspect that the point where they wanted to provide the last feed was filled with spectators so they just kept moving along till they found a suitably social distancing spot but didn't take note of the distance to the finish. Probably an amateur mistake but an easy one to make in these COVID times

I think your explanation is possible.

However, the video footage seemed to indicate it was at 17km to go.... That is a big difference, not just "up the road".

But then again, it wasn't in the final 10km or 5km. It was relatively far out, so could be an honest mistake.

But I can guarantee you that nobody on this iteration of the tour will be caught out like that again by mistake. Everyone will be well prepped on where NOT to feed someone.

Ha ha ha...I will try bring out my inner commentator.

Jis and I really felt that stage yesterday..until I didn’t [emoji852]

Can I get in on that commenting request as well, I am out of power between 15h00 and 17h30.... But I can ramp up the mobile data usage to watch on the phone if it is REALLY interesting.

Snip snip snip from Cyclingnews.com

"It's very hard but there is a rule. And if we apply it severely to others, then it's the same for us," Lefevere said to Le Parisien.

"The yellow jersey is not above the others. If nobody had warned the riders that we couldn't refuel in the last 20 kilometres, then it would be different. But everybody knew that – although clearly someone in our team didn't."

Advertisement

Deceuninck-QuickStep directeur sportif Tom Steels said after the stage that of course the team was aware of the 20km rule, but added that the spot was the only place they could safely pass over a bottle.

"It's a pity to lose yellow like this. We know about the 20-kilometre rule," he said after the stage. "It was quite dangerous at 70kph, then there was a flat part to get in position for the climb. It was the only spot we could still give a bottle.

"It's a special Tour, everybody has to be careful with the bottles and we have to stay away from the public, too. So were the circumstances as to why we missed the 20-kilometre mark by two kilometres. We made a mistake, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Coverage starts at 11:50 today[emoji102]

I'll move my laptop from my office to the dining room..open the big dividing door to have a view of the TV[emoji2960]

Edited by Gen

Coverage starts at 11:50 today[emoji102]

I'll move my laptop from my office to the dining room..open the big dividing door to have a view of the TV[emoji2960]

i suspect a longer day due to the crosswinds predicted and that last climb is pretty long too.

Today will be the great reveal of the climbing legs.

Snip snip snip from Cyclingnews.com

"It's very hard but there is a rule. And if we apply it severely to others, then it's the same for us," Lefevere said to Le Parisien.

"The yellow jersey is not above the others. If nobody had warned the riders that we couldn't refuel in the last 20 kilometres, then it would be different. But everybody knew that – although clearly someone in our team didn't."

Advertisement

READ MORE

Julian Alaphilippe loses Tour de France lead to Adam Yates over illegal feed

Julian Alaphilippe puts brave face on loss of yellow jersey at Tour de France

Adam Yates bemused to find himself in Tour de France lead after Julian Alaphilippe time penalty

Tour de France: Van Aert wins stage 5

Deceuninck-QuickStep directeur sportif Tom Steels said after the stage that of course the team was aware of the 20km rule, but added that the spot was the only place they could safely pass over a bottle.

"It's a pity to lose yellow like this. We know about the 20-kilometre rule," he said after the stage. "It was quite dangerous at 70kph, then there was a flat part to get in position for the climb. It was the only spot we could still give a bottle.

"It's a special Tour, everybody has to be careful with the bottles and we have to stay away from the public, too. So were the circumstances as to why we missed the 20-kilometre mark by two kilometres. We made a mistake, and there's nothing we can do about it.

They (the organisers) really should also apply some common sense as well and take all of these things into consideration as well.

But we call for the enforcement of rules suppose they are being consistent [emoji2368]

i suspect a longer day due to the crosswinds predicted and that last climb is pretty long too.

Today will be the great reveal of the climbing legs.

[emoji1696]

Peloton:

'No break today, let's agree. Let's cruise until the warm-phase for the final sprint.. It's been a hard 1st week thus far. Many are still bandaged and recovering from the ice rink that was stage 1.'

Cycling gods:

'Let's piss of the popular French professional in Alaphillipe and his moody boss, strip him from the maillot jaune with one of the arbitrary rules in the UCI law book. That should double the spice for run-in towards Col de la Lusette.'

pic by Jared Gruber

post-12015-0-81061400-1599123416_thumb.jpg

Edited by 'Dale

They (the organisers) really should also apply some common sense as well and take all of these things into consideration as well.

But we call for the enforcement of rules suppose they are being consistent [emoji2368]

Yep, I would advocate for consistency above leniency every day of the week.

Make rules that are logical and enforceable. Then enforce them. 

It is extremely hard to miss. Love that it gives the commentators (and us fans) an easy way to identify him.

There is some Italian champion :whistling:  with the same idea on his helmet who i almost confused as Gibbons

Yep, I would advocate for consistency above leniency every day of the week.

Make rules that are logical and enforceable. Then enforce them.

I tend to agree