2020 Tour de France

pista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would revise the King of the Mountains points and jersey.  A bit embarrassing watching the polka dot jersey being dropped on an easy cat climb, or the lowest slopes of a big climb :-(

Lance, is that you?

I wish they would revise the King of the Mountains points and jersey. A bit embarrassing watching the polka dot jersey being dropped on an easy cat climb, or the lowest slopes of a big climb :-(

Why they target certain stages and see who goes in the break.. it's calculated..if they went up the road every day or stuck with GC then they may as well target GC [emoji2368]

Stress, crashes and amateur hour aside - if you're in decent shape 2.1w/kg is warm up effort...

hahaha for sure.. But then then like I said, the 'average' hubber would need to push 170-240 watts to average 2.1 w/kg which is a whole different ball game.

I can only look at Zwift as I have no gadgets on my real bikes and I see I averaged 3 w/kg for the Uber Pretzel. I remember thinking more than 4 hours on the IDT was dumb, no matter how badly I was stuck indoors during lock down.

hahaha for sure.. But then then like I said, the 'average' hubber would need to push 170-240 watts to average 2.1 w/kg which is a whole different ball game.

I can only look at Zwift as I have no gadgets on my real bikes and I see I averaged 3 w/kg for the Uber Pretzel. I remember thinking more than 4 hours on the IDT was dumb, no matter how badly I was stuck indoors during lock down.

Daaaamn did South African men spend the  spend the lockdown eating that you reckon the range is 80-114kg for an average South African cyclist??

That's rugby territory  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Lanterne Rouge mentioned that Sepp Kuss rode the first 3 hours @128W Avg. That’s 2.1W/kg for him.

I’m not saying these guys aren’t superhuman but I think an average Hubber could have kept up on this stage. Maybe not at 97bpm but still pretty easily.

The average hubber is fast then

clearly I'm below average because I could not ride 183km at 42km and hour even with the modest 873m climbing 

Daaaamn did South African men spend the  spend the lockdown eating that you reckon the range is 80-114kg for an average South African cyclist??

That's rugby territory  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

I believe the original phrase by Orbit was 'average hubber', not average SA cyclist!  :ph34r:

The average hubber is fast then

clearly I'm below average because I could not ride 183km at 42km and hour even with the modest 873m climbing 

hahaha that was my point. The stats are only valid if you can ride in a group like that. 

Numbers don't tell the whole story, so cherry picking 'stats' and trying to relate them to normal humans just yields really awkward results.

So I was curious and googled average weight for South Africans.

Men:  1.68cm ave height and 70.8kg average weight (25.1 ave BMI)

Women: 1.59cm ave height 74.6kg ave weight (29.5 ave BMI)

I thought I had read it the wrong way around but no women in SA are on average heavier than men.

Men: 1.68cm ave height and 70.8kg average weight (25.1 ave BMI)

I thought I had read it the wrong way around but no women in SA are on average heavier than men.

Yoh.. that's not very good [emoji53]

We also aren't very tall[emoji1787]

Edited by Gen

hahaha that was my point. The stats are only valid if you can ride in a group like that. 

Numbers don't tell the whole story, so cherry picking 'stats' and trying to relate them to normal humans just yields really awkward results.

Exactly this.

The average power is not thaaaaat impressive on the flatter stage but have a look at these numbers from Roche:

The Irish cyclist, 36-years-old and weighing 71kg, started the breakaway and that attack of his saw him generate 505 watts for five minutes when he initially made his move that the others followed.

As the breakaway formed and the peloton chased them for a while, Roche averaged over 400 watts for that 20-minute period.

That’s a very significant effort considering it was at the start of the stage with so many kilometres to come and a brace of tough climbs awaiting the riders at the end of the day.

His peak one-minute power period saw him generate 650 watts

and he did just under 600 watts for two minutes.

For one six-minute period he did 480 watts and aside from

doing just over 400 watts for 20 minutes at the start of the stage he also did

370 watts for 30 minutes.

One 60-minute period during the stage saw him generate an average of 350 watts. And during one three-hour period, during his 4hr 40min stage, he generated an average of 300 watts.

Their ability to smash high number for short periods then recover and do it again and again and again is the impressive part. Then after the initial high power to break away he averaged 300 watts for 3 hours!

Yoh.. that's not very good [emoji53]

I seem to remember reading that the South African female population is in the top 5 worldwide for percentage of population group being classified as obese. Very scary stats!

Damn! Based on BMI...I'm under-height!

Men: 1.68cm ave height and 70.8kg average weight (25.1 ave BMI)

Men:  1.68cm ave height and 70.8kg average weight (25.1 ave BMI)

I think our averages are odd because of our diversity

Zulu women for example have a high rate of obesity, hypertension and stress so they would definitely pull up those ladies BMI's and weights

In the Western Cape ladies have very small feet (average size 4)  The Freestate buys a lot of size 9's in ladies

I love trivial factoids