Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

With the future of social etiquette still very much up in the air, it must be a nightmare for event orgaisers.

For me, the thought of standing shoulder to shoulder in a start pen is really unappealing at the moment.

I did a running race on 7 March, weeks before we knew Lockdown was coming.

Even then, while standing there next to one of the barriers, trying to avoid contact, I thought to myself: "This is stupid, so much risk, and for what, to run an official race. This was a really dumb move you twat"

Post Lock-down, I don't think you will see Mass Start events taking place with nearly the same volumes of people for years to come. Unless off-course the vaccine is successfully rolled out and we all run/ride efficiently with those masks on.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

at least we are not a surfer or similar at the moment...

on a more serious note...you might see TTs going back in vogue as riders need competition...as for mass start events etc its going to be an insurance nightmare...travel..

events will have to try to be smart...for mtb riders...no groups at all...start at intervals etc..passing spots on trails etc...the big fun group element that makes events in this country so special and unique will struggle initially but they will be back..

but as for race villages etc....i wish these events well..its a brilliant unique experience here in SA and I say that as an outsider...

vaccine is currently the only option to stop it spreading. no matter what you do to get it under control, the next outbreak is around the corner (which is what makes it such a global issue, well done NZ but you can't open your borders until the rest of us are sorted).

and that vaccine is 12-18months away, at best.

so ja, i wouldn't get too excited

Everyone wanted bigger intervals and smaller groups! Now is the time to go for it! So, lets start the CTCT with 2 minute intervals between start groups of 1. It will only take about 6 weeks to get everyone out of the chutes if we run it 24 hours a day.  We KNOW road closure is possible for that length of time! The people want it! :ph34r:

So, lets start the CTCT with 2 minute intervals between start groups of 1. It will only take about 6 weeks to get everyone out of the chutes if we run it 24 hours a day.  We KNOW road closure is possible for that length of time!]

Well, we can close the economy down indefinitely so closing a couple of roads for 6 weeks should be child's play...;-)

at least we are not a surfer or similar at the moment...

Well now.... If I had to give up surfing or cycling my bikes would be on the classifieds faster than excuses at the start of a tri-athlon...

I'm not sure it would be as extreme as that, but maybe. A CTCT TT would be awesome. 

Otherwise do they make you register a timing chip and leave the (marshalled/manned/CCTV'd) route open for 3 days between 10 and 3.

You roll the start and zoot around the course when you want. Marshalls/CCTV weedle out any motopacing/cheating as best they can.

I think this is an exciting time. I always kind of thought sport and sport people were given WAY too much credibility. I have ranted on the economic dog show and it's 'actual' real life worth many times. My friends won't bring up football around me as it incites said ridiculous wages rant! hahaha

This lock down has proved we won't die without pro sport flooding our TV's all weekend, so IMHO eradicate it and focus on our kids wanting to be doctors and plumbers rather than Victor and Bakkies.

Anyway.... Mass participation events probably won't exist until a vaccine is available, so don't hold your breath or bet the house on a sub3 in 2021

....and on a more positive note....

I think the 2021 will go ahead subject to participants having been screened either Corona Positive or negative (this assumes the quick screen test is widely distributed). This will add to the cost of entry to events so entries won't be filling up fast again, especially on the back of an economy somewhere between 6 and 10% smaller ( I don't trust the governments 12% number because when it ends up at 8 or 9 % they will claim 3% growth...)

Expect testing to become part of your health passport and if you don't have it forget about entering an event.

I just heard that they going to give the short route option another go for 2021.

The authorities who turned down the request previously are now willing to look at the logistics again and reconsider.

Basically an out and back on the Blue Route.

A nice "short" route would be to cut from Fishhoek circle to the robot at Sun Valley, then joint the main route to Chappies, Hout Bay, Suikerbossie etc. Distance would be about 2/3 full distance but it would cut out the long trek into the headwind past Simonstown to Smitwinkel. It would still use the same start/finish and keep the special parts like Chappies, Suikerbossie.

It could be held on the same day as the main race with start groups after the main race start.

Road closures would require a bit more "closed" time on the M3, and a one way lane closure from Fishhoek to Sun Valley. I don't think too many additional Capetonians would be inconvenienced. Cut off time in Greenpoint could stay the same. There would be more traffic later in the day when the backmarkers and short event riders meet on Chappies.

I think this could be a popular alternative for "past time" riders. It should have not negative effects on sub 4 hour riders.

A nice "short" route would be to cut from Fishhoek circle to the robot at Sun Valley, then joint the main route to Chappies, Hout Bay, Suikerbossie etc. Distance would be about 2/3 full distance but it would cut out the long trek into the headwind past Simonstown to Smitwinkel. It would still use the same start/finish and keep the special parts like Chappies, Suikerbossie.

It could be held on the same day as the main race with start groups after the main race start.

Road closures would require a bit more "closed" time on the M3, and a one way lane closure from Fishhoek to Sun Valley. I don't think too many additional Capetonians would be inconvenienced. Cut off time in Greenpoint could stay the same. There would be more traffic later in the day when the backmarkers and short event riders meet on Chappies.

I think this could be a popular alternative for "past time" riders. It should have not negative effects on sub 4 hour riders.

:thumbdown: What a mess that will be from the M6.I think lets stick to the out and back on the M3 if we really have to suffer a short route

• 2 weeks later...

Of course I should have added that e-bikes entries should only be accepted for the short route, not the full one. We don't want to risk them running flat half way round. :ph34r:

Of course I should have added that e-bikes entries should only be accepted for the short route, not the full one. We don't want to risk them running flat half way round. :ph34r:

E-bikes should only be allowed one battery. Those gits who went speeding around the peninsula used two or more batteries.

one battery will slow them right down.

E-bikes should only be allowed one battery. Those gits who went speeding around the peninsula used two or more batteries.

The weight of the battery should be limited to. Easy for anybody to check.

Just came to see if anyone had watched the super sport Cycle TOur coverage, looks like nobody did :)

Or they/we are just not willing to admit it. LOL

Apparently there will be battery bays along the route. You can chose between two or three batteries for the event.

Even talks of a dedicated right lane for charged ebikes to pass people along the minor hills along the route ....

With more than 50% of bike sales going to ebikes ordinary bikes are set to be sidelined in favour of modern technology.

Time to get with the program .... or to go back to ancient cable shifters .... ????

Edited by ChrisF

Apparently there will be battery bays along the route. You can chose between two or three batteries for the event.

Even talks of a dedicated right lane for charged ebikes to pass people along the minor hills along the route ....

With more than 50% of bike sales going to ebikes ordinary bikes are set to be sidelined in favour of modern technology.

Time to get with the program .... or to go back to ancient cable shifters ....

never left ancient cable shifters :)

Don't need them and I like the connected feel to the rear derailleur