Hardtail with budget

maqsmaqs

good evening all

with this economy the way it is i really need advice on a budget MTB hardtail

nothing too fancy but between 5000-8000 preferably lower end of the budget

completely not familiar with tech bike speak unfortunately and googling bike shops and prices has left me with numerous bike options from

scott

momsen

specialized

gt

silverback

giant

trek

all between 5000-8000

i know second hand is option but not knowing what im looking for technically im going to opt for new one.

thought i would get some impartial advice here

im a small/ medium ride

i saw some good deals on the specialized site and liked the look of those as well as the varied offering from both silverback and Scott

are any of the other brands playing in this price bracket worth checking?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have a look in the used ads. There's a couple of bikes in your price range might be older models but much better spec than you are going to find new. If you are unsure ask a friend or ask on here if you see something.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

I would go with used bikes as a first prize - you can often pick up one for 60% of new price...

If you are keen to buy new, i would highly recommend the Giant Talon. there are a few models and they fall within your price range. You may also be able to get an older model for cheaper

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bikes-talon-29

unless you just going to use if for commuting i would advise to stay away from the new bikes at that price range.

You are way better off with a second hand model with better specs that wont feel like its going to fold and collapse when riding over small rocks and roots.

You can pick up a good second hand budget HT in that price range that will be more than capable of taking a bit more abuse.

EDIT:

In my opinion, key things to consider is brakes and suspension (Fork). This will greatly affect the way the bike handles and your safety. Having said that you dont need expensive.

Stick to hydraulic disc brakes and an air fork from either RS or Fox (not downplaying other brands but you generally cant do much wrong with these two at that price). 

How much gears is not so much important but rather nothing smaller than an 8 speed at the back (stay away from 7 speed freewheel systems) and you want something that's reliable and wont fall apart when the trail gets bumby.

PS: Oh and make sure you can go tubeless - that's one of the most important things

Edited by YaseenEnos

thank you for the advice

it will be for day to day use just riding to keep active and with the kids

not really on trails etc

as for second hand i haven't seen much on here for my size

im just finding it strange with so many new models in my price bracket none of them are recommend

Maybe just as well to debate the second hand vs new here?

I have spend lots of time during the long weekend browsing second hand bikes, here and on other sites.  If you don't know what to look for you can spend quite an amount to (~soon) fix up what you buy?

Eg:

If a bike is 2 -3 y old, is it fair to consider the following?

- Components could be at half of usable lifespan?  Eg (front) shock, chain, cassette, tires etc?

- Add new tyres if required and service cost if you don't do it yourself?

- Latent issues, eg rims? Cable condition, frame cracks etc?

- (List can be expanded to include practically any component, obviously depending on (ab)use)

So if you don't get a really great bargain where these costs / expenses are already 'discounted', you can end up with quite an expenditure?  To offer a realistic price where all of these costs are factored in might insult the seller.

@Yaseen - my Silverback HT cost me R5999 IIRC.  I have done close to 3k km on this one so far and the only change I made was tubeless tires + new chain.  It has taken me over many many of k's of gravel roads (incl multi day trips) etc.  The point I am trying to make is that I have never even close encountered this feeling:

You are way better off with a second hand model with better specs that wont feel like its going to fold and collapse when riding over small rocks and roots.

Open to be corrected :) 

is the price for the specialized ruse for 10k a good bargain then as it says its reduced from 32k?

and i hear what you say about second hand v new

thats what worries me is that i get good bargain and then like you state end up. with spending more to "fix" up possibly

in this economic climate funds are always going. to drive purchase and i do like the idea of new with guarantee etc

thank you for the advice

it will be for day to day use just riding to keep active and with the kids

not really on trails etc

as for second hand i haven't seen much on here for my size

im just finding it strange with so many new models in my price bracket none of them are recommend

if that is your goal then sure, maybe my suggestion can be overlooked

Maybe just as well to debate the second hand vs new here?

I have spend lots of time during the long weekend browsing second hand bikes, here and on other sites.  If you don't know what to look for you can spend quite an amount to (~soon) fix up what you buy?

Eg:

If a bike is 2 -3 y old, is it fair to consider the following?

- Components could be at half of usable lifespan?  Eg (front) shock, chain, cassette, tires etc?

- Add new tyres if required and service cost if you don't do it yourself?

- Latent issues, eg rims? Cable condition, frame cracks etc?

- (List can be expanded to include practically any component, obviously depending on (ab)use)

So if you don't get a really great bargain where these costs / expenses are already 'discounted', you can end up with quite an expenditure?  To offer a realistic price where all of these costs are factored in might insult the seller.

@Yaseen - my Silverback HT cost me R5999 IIRC.  I have done close to 3k km on this one so far and the only change I made was tubeless tires + new chain.  It has taken me over many many of k's of gravel roads (incl multi day trips) etc.  The point I am trying to make is that I have never even close encountered this feeling:

Open to be corrected :)

Fair point, my opinion is based on my own personal experience and biases

I too started out with a entry level HT but given my desire to progress in the sport i quickly figured it was never going to be the right tool for the job.

Progressed to another Budget HT (albeit much more expensive) it was like chalk and cheese.

But as OP has stated trails are not his intent, perhaps my advice should be overlooked.

is the price for the specialized ruse for 10k a good bargain then as it says its reduced from 32k?

and i hear what you say about second hand v new

thats what worries me is that i get good bargain and then like you state end up. with spending more to "fix" up possibly

in this economic climate funds are always going. to drive purchase and i do like the idea of new with guarantee etc

Yes, with second hand there are usually things you need to fix up. It could be expensive or it could be minor fixes...its always a risk.

Just to consolidate my responses. If the intended use is for what you claim then yes new bike at that price range is justified.

BUT you may get bitten by the bug like me and then realise you will need to buy again or spend a fortune on upgrading something thats not work upgrading.

Buy nice or buy twice....thats all im saying.

Hey man. Been riding for about a year or so now. I had the same discussion when I was looking for our bikes. I ended up narrowing it down to Scott & Specialized. 

The Scott naming system was a bit confusing and the sales people at Cycle lab kept pressuring to go for a pricier model so we walked out and gave Specialized a chance. 

We both got the Rockhoppers. It's a great bike. The "top of the range" model for the Rockhopper is on sale and in your budget. 

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-rockhopper-expert/p/154449?color=236328-154449

We got ours at Melrose Arch, but I think that's a Trek shop now. There is a Complete Cyclist in Bryanston that sells the bikes. See if they have any other specials perhaps. 

BUT you may get bitten by the bug like me and then realise you will need to buy again or spend a fortune on upgrading something thats not work upgrading.

Buy nice or buy twice....thats all im saying.

This is a very valid point, agree 100%. 

(I should have added - I don't do (tech) trails anymore.  Might influence decisions)

Re the upgrade point - true again, eg I can't use the small chain wheel anymore as the 2.25 rubs against the front derailleur - could be that only adjustment is required, still investigating.

Another vote for Titan. If you're not taking it offroad, or just sticking to gravel, there will definitely be something in your budget.

If (when?) the bug bites, you'll have to sell a kidney anyway so the resale argument doesn't really apply. If you don't know what you're looking for on the second hand market you'll easily spend the difference on fixing up a banger.

thanks yaseenEnos

not really going to be taking it up. sports wise im thinking

gym keeps me busy and in the next month money needs to be spent on renovating kids study and pc so unfortunately time and budget dictate.

And Darko i agree about the naming conventions... all brands are confusing me right now

i do like the look of the specialized range and even at the gym im riding pair of specialized shoes on the watt bike

is the spec ruse better than the rockhopper?

as for titan im assuming that its local brand compared to the others I've looked at