Elite Trainers - Suito reviews from the BH

Veebee

Hey Guys.

Just looking for some local feedback on Elite trainers. Any using them, Suito or Direto X ?

Been reading a bit and all the big brands have their problems, so just comes down to who will offer the best support when there's issues.

I'm still on an old Cycleops Powerbeam and the wheel slip issues are getting worse and quite annoying when you getting stuck into a workout, so might be time for an upgrade soon.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Direto X at home and in the shop and love them.

Proper plug'n'play stuff - haven't had a single issue in a year with either unit. Tons of cassette holders and rear axle adaptors available (I swap a lot in the shop as I have to fit customer's bike on it).

I have sold some Suitos to customers (never used one myself) and have only had positive feedback.

I'm quite an Elite fan.

I have a Zumo. Which from what I understand is the precursor to the Suito.

Very happy. I did have one issue where I left it plugged in for 3 or so weeks without use and it would not connect and the lights on the trainer were flashing in a way I'd not seen before. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and off we went. I now shut down my laptop and unplug the trainer after every session.

I have read and seen a youtube that said the the power readings on suito trainers are off (harder) when riding in RGT and Rouvy but it's difficult for me to say. 12% felt hard like it does in real life. If anything Zwift at 6% feels a little too easy. Sorry I don't want to derail your thread and make it about the various platforms.

It's the only wheel off trainer I've owned but I am more than happy with mine. Clearance for long cage derailleurs is not a problem and I've run my road and trail bike on it. Swapping the gubbins out is a 5 minute job. Boost requires an adapter that does not come in the box.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My friend recently got the Suito and accuracy appears to be an issue.

According to the vast "knowledge" of the internet, this is a known problem, but there does appear to be a bypass/ work around that can get it sorted.

Otherwise, from what I have seen, they are steady, well-built units.

Also use Suito.

I'm not a pro, so if the accuracy is slightly off, it only matters that much. As long as it is measured consistently.

Only funny I picked up is that when doing low-power recovery intervals in ERG mode (on Zwift) the cadence at times jumps to a very low value, just quickly, and then back to the correct cadence. Was easy to notice when I did training sessions and hit a climb and the avatar would stand and pedal very briefly.

Also looking at the number of issues Tacx is experiencing with the NEO2T I'd be happy to keep my NEO and when the time arises replace it with an Elite unit. They just seem to do the job without fuss.

I've got a direto. No issues after more than a year. Love the fact that no calibration, spin down etc required.

Power readings are accurate still (i have power meter pedals on my bike). It just works.

• 2 weeks later...

Direto X arrived yesterday, all set up and have done 2 free rides so far.

There was a 1 watt difference between the trainer and my 4iii power meter so thats great.

Now need to get stuck into a a FTP test, as it seems my old Cycleops Powerbeam was over reading by ALOT.

Thanks for all the feedback, helped make the decision :thumbup:

post-67394-0-20506600-1595322034_thumb.jpg

I use the Direto X at home and in the shop and love them.

Proper plug'n'play stuff - haven't had a single issue in a year with either unit. Tons of cassette holders and rear axle adaptors available (I swap a lot in the shop as I have to fit customer's bike on it).

I have sold some Suitos to customers (never used one myself) and have only had positive feedback.

I'm quite an Elite fan.

I find that some of my gears are "twitchy" and "grind". Is that merely a spacing set-up on the rear axle? My LBS put my Shimano 105 onto the Direto X. 

I find that some of my gears are "twitchy" and "grind". Is that merely a spacing set-up on the rear axle? My LBS put my Shimano 105 onto the Direto X.

That would be my guess. The cassette on your trainer will invariably be in a slightly different position to your bike. Theoretically you should adjust limit screws everytime you swap between the two but mostly a small adjustment in cable tension does the trick to remove grinding.

If your are running the same ratios then it should be fine ?

I didn't need to adjust anything,

If your are running the same ratios then it should be fine ?

I didn't need to adjust anything,

I would have thought so too.

Same bike, same cassette. 

I would have thought so too.

Same bike, same cassette. 

As Eldron noted, it is a slight horizontal alignment difference with the cassette on your trainer and what is on your bike wheel.  Try using the barrel adjuster to fine tune when you put the bike on the trainer.

Same thing can happen if you have multiple wheels and change wheels, the cassette on a particular hub can be slightly different horizontal alignment to another hub and is what is happening between your bike wheels hub and trainer hub.

Edited by shaper