Introducing Bike Hub Pay: Buyer & Seller Protection

Bike Hub Features

This is awesome!!! I have chewed people's ear off about something like this on many a ride... I have had great experiences with fellow hub users but I know there are some bad apples out there. Next up is a deal with a courier service where we get a small discount and you guys can charge a small commission for the set up... I have spent far too much money at Postnet. 

Good job guys.

PostNet is actually one of the cheapest options, especially "counter to counter".

Door-to-door varies with weight, package size, and the remoteness of the area.  Delivery from Cape to Joburg is overnight and about R200 for a small package .... but send that package to a remote mine, farm, out of the way spot and the delivery time increases AND the costs can go through the roof !!

Companies such at WorldNetExpress are already set up for this type of business.  Only "issue" being the variability of the delivery costs to remote destinations, AND determining the "weight" vs "volume" prior to shipment .... these factors DO impact on the delivery costs, and is often only clarified/confirmed after the package is picked up.

PS - WorldNetExpress has a very handy function where the waybill is available as an image on their web portal.  So for proving delivery their system WORKS.  Over the years I have had two clients get rude about the "non-delivery" of their goods .... they go very silent when you send them the image with their signature on it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree, that's why the "cant" is in there ...  :D

And also Matt or Nick confirmed they are not planning to make it mandatory.

Liar liar your pants are on fire...

I have a partially completed mail in my drafts folder asking if we (the Community) could setup a list of trusted "3rd party verifyers (3PV)" aka Hubbers, that can view goods where the seller is close to us, on behalf of the buyer. Buyer makes contact with the closest matching 3PV, and requests a verification of said goods.

Example:

I recently purchased a PM from someone in CPT, and asked him to take it to my CPT offices where my Warehouse Manager could verify certain details for me. Everything checked out and I paid, and the seller left the PM at my CPT offices as I had arranged a courier to collect. I was going to contact a few well respected Hubbers (in my view) to ask for assistance, but decided to use my office colleagues for this transaction. 

The point of my email was to find a trusted way of paying for something similar to what has now transpired on this thread. At least the payment side sorted. 

If vetted properly, we could "crowd-fund" a vetting agency and help each other out.

In-house means more admin for you guys. Will you have the back up to maintain such a service? I'm concerned back logs would slow down the transaction and a wait in line sort of process? Your thoughts?

..another thought, you guys could piggy back on the Paxi system? Given that a thought for future development? 

Liar liar your pants are on fire

Posted Yesterday, 08:22

Thanks for the positive feedback. We're really excited to finally get this out.

We have no plans to make it mandatory. Buyers can always elect to avoid sellers who refuse to use it.

Our current thinking is that a free-to-use classifieds for private users is important for the continued success of Bike Hub.

???

Edited by Theog

In-house means more admin for you guys. Will you have the back up to maintain such a service? I'm concerned back logs would slow down the transaction and a wait in line sort of process? Your thoughts?

In-house does mean more admin for us, but it also means seamless integration with Bike Hub. We felt this was critical to the success of the service and was best achieved keeping it in house. 

In terms of capacity / back up this is a key priority, but we're under no illusions about the significance of what we're undertaking.

At launch we have purposefully kept the minimum fee relatively high at R100 to ensure we can adequately cover costs and to limit transaction volumes while we ensure our processes and systems are geared to scale up. 

..another thought, you guys could piggy back on the Paxi system? Given that a thought for future development? 

There are a number of great options when it comes to delivery of smaller items, e.g. PostNet. Aramex dropbox, Paxi, and various frequently recommended companies to handle full bike delivery.

Currently this is up to the buyer & seller to arrange with a courier service of their choosing, however this is the next major development for us in terms of integration. 

I was thinking for bikes being sold, could you link the payment to an advert and require a serial number be included, this would increase the serial number database and you could run it against the serial numbers in the stolen section?

It's a great idea and the first part of that is already in place - any deal / payment is already explicitly linked to an advert.

We'd need to add in the serial number element and look at ways to ensure accuracy of self-reported serial numbers.

It's a great idea and the first part of that is already in place - any deal / payment is already explicitly linked to an advert.

We'd need to add in the serial number element and look at ways to ensure accuracy of self-reported serial numbers.

Photo of the serial number to be included with the photos of the bike .....

Just one more pic, and honest sellers will know why this is asked and comply without any complaints.

Anyone knows how to repost an expired ad?

Seems like the option is gone as all I get now with manage ad is delete or enable bike hub pay.

PostNet is actually one of the cheapest options, especially "counter to counter".

Door-to-door varies with weight, package size, and the remoteness of the area.  Delivery from Cape to Joburg is overnight and about R200 for a small package .... but send that package to a remote mine, farm, out of the way spot and the delivery time increases AND the costs can go through the roof !!

Companies such at WorldNetExpress are already set up for this type of business.  Only "issue" being the variability of the delivery costs to remote destinations, AND determining the "weight" vs "volume" prior to shipment .... these factors DO impact on the delivery costs, and is often only clarified/confirmed after the package is picked up.

PS - WorldNetExpress has a very handy function where the waybill is available as an image on their web portal.  So for proving delivery their system WORKS.  Over the years I have had two clients get rude about the "non-delivery" of their goods .... they go very silent when you send them the image with their signature on it.

UPDATE - 

World Net Express will henceforth trade as Rhenus Express.

Let's see how the transition goes ....

Certainly a good time look around at other options as well ....  Small packages (about the size of a ream of A4 paper), pick up at home, deliver to clients home or work address ... monthly account system, easy online booking of packages .... WorldNet certainly gave us GOOD service over the years.