Introducing Bike Hub Pay: Buyer & Seller Protection

Bike Hub Features

I'll wade in and state that I won't buy anything again without using this service. I've been doing business on the "good faith" model for so long, so getting my money taken from me is a real wake up call.

Got scammed this morning by some guy who called himself as Gary Bar - 079 036 5704.

BikeHub sent me an e-mail advising that I'd had dealings with a suspicious character, unfortunately it was too late and the money had already gone. 

In any event, let that be a lesson for others too - use the safe systems that BikeHub have put in place.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any form of repercussion to those who accept bikehub pay deals then instead of shipping the items they sell them elsewhere?

i know i'll get my money back but that just poor form from the seller.

this just happen to me.

more bizarre is my offer was in line with asking price.

Edited by Furbz

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

someone will always crook the system, sorry @Furbz that this happened to you!!

i'm not to bothered, its the reason i use bikehub pay. to protect me from odd balls.

i think the seller was hopelessly ignorant about how bikehub pay actually worked and no matter what i said he had no interest in actually reading up about how it worked.

i did leave a 1 star review to warm others about his manners

There is one thing I have picked up with BHP which I've been wondering about, let me paint the scenario: 

• I build a bike and post it for sale
  • Buyer comes along and requests BHP which I then accepts
  • He / She makes te payment and I proceed packing the bike and getting it collected 
  • The buyer then receives said bike and starts pulling it apart, like in finds everything fault with the build and expects me to resolve everything he / she can find wrong with the bike before releasing the payment. 

So my question: When does BHP actually step in and release the payment without the consent from the buyer? I get that there are lots of chancers out there that try their luck with a defective product but let's say it is little stuff like scratches or whatever is deemed par for the course of buying 2nd hand?

This is actually quite a sticking point for me, I am hesitant to use BHP solely for this reason. 

3 hours ago, Furbz said:

is there any form of repercussion to those who accept bikehub pay deals then instead of shipping the items they sell them elsewhere?

i know i'll get my money back but that just poor form from the seller.

this just happen to me.

more bizarre is my offer was in line with asking price.

We've chatted via our Help but for the benefit of the crowd:

Currently the primary repercussion is an appropriate rating on their profile (as you've done).

We do track these issues internally and repeat offenders may be suspended. e.g. sellers not honouring the deal or buyers repeatedly failing to complete payment. Thankfully it's a tiny fraction of all deals done via Bike Hub Pay, but something we're monitoring nonetheless.

As you suggest, part of the problem could simply be the seller not appreciating how the system works and the commitment implied when accepting an offer. 

9 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

There is one thing I have picked up with BHP which I've been wondering about, let me paint the scenario: 

• I build a bike and post it for sale
  • Buyer comes along and requests BHP which I then accepts
  • He / She makes te payment and I proceed packing the bike and getting it collected 
  • The buyer then receives said bike and starts pulling it apart, like in finds everything fault with the build and expects me to resolve everything he / she can find wrong with the bike before releasing the payment. 

So my question: When does BHP actually step in and release the payment without the consent from the buyer? I get that there are lots of chancers out there that try their luck with a defective product but let's say it is little stuff like scratches or whatever is deemed par for the course of buying 2nd hand?

This is actually quite a sticking point for me, I am hesitant to use BHP solely for this reason. 

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

To answer your question, the only scenario where we'll release a payment without consent from the buyer is where they disappear following delivery. e.g. the courier tracking confirms delivery and after 48 hours the buyer has failed to complete the deal (or log a dispute) and is uncontactable.

There risk you highlight does remain. It's not impossible that a difficult buyer may nit-pick in an attempt to either drive the price down or make unreasonable requests.

It's important to note that a seller is under no obligation to remedy issues raised by a buyer (e.g. price reduction / part replacement). If the buyer is not happy and the seller is unwilling or unable to address the issues, we'll facilitate a return and refund, but the cost of return shipping is for the buyer's account. 

While we know that given enough time and scale this will change, in close on 2,000 deals completed to date at R20million in value we've not encountered buyers of this nature.