Which of the 3 (or other suggestions)? Entry-level...

Hi guys, 

New here and looking forward to getting into the MTB swing of things, and have visited an couple of shops over the weekend to have a look at some hardtails. 

I will come right quicker buying new as a start as I don't see a lot of XL bikes doing the rounds secondhand unfortunately. 

Ok, so intro out of the way, my nearest shop has a couple of bikes in my starter price range, and it's been narrowed down to three options a little above budget but I can stretch a bit. Around R11k is the absolute max I'm willing to spend....for now.

I am essentially looking for a bike that can handle some bumps and starter trails etc etc. Just something of decent quality. I'm not planning on jumping it on massive ramps and so on. 

The options available are:

Titan Racing Rogue SE (R9k)

Scott Navajo 955 (R11k)

Silverback Stride Deluxe (R11k)

Out of the lot the friendly sales guy suggested that the Silverback is the best buy in terms of value for money etc etc. 

Thoughts? 

Are there other options I can/should be looking at? 

Thanks a million!

Edited by symbolofmylife

You can drop the Scott. It's poorly kitted out. There's not much in it between the Titan and the Silverback. Both have SR 100mm air fork (although not the best, its not the worst by a long margin. At least its not a spring fork) and both have Shimano Deore rear derailleurs which are solid and dependable mid-pack derailleurs that will need minimum fussing over. 1x10 group set is plenty enough to ride just about anything.

That aside, I would lean towards the Titan as the Silverback has Tektro brakes which are rubbish. You will find that out right when you need them to work at their best unfortunately. I also know two brothers who ride the Silverback, and both of them have just about killed their rims riding on some semi techy trails. And then for me the final deciding vote for Titan is that it comes ready kitted with Vittoria Barzo tyres which are right up there with being some of the top rubber you could invest in.

Look at norco, also good value for money

Yes, this as well, contact Mellow Velo, Finishline cycles or Hot Spot cycles if you in JHB, or look up Cycles United for their dealers

You can drop the Scott. It's poorly kitted out. There's not much in it between the Titan and the Silverback. Both have SR 100mm air fork (although not the best, its not the worst by a long margin. At least its not a spring fork) and both have Shimano Deore rear derailleurs which are solid and dependable mid-pack derailleurs that will need minimum fussing over. 1x10 group set is plenty enough to ride just about anything.

That aside, I would lean towards the Titan as the Silverback has Tektro brakes which are rubbish. You will find that out right when you need them to work at their best unfortunately. I also know two brothers who ride the Silverback, and both of them have just about killed their rims riding on some semi techy trails. And then for me the final deciding vote for Titan is that it comes ready kitted with Vittoria Barzo tyres which are right up there with being some of the top rubber you could invest in.

Thanks! Look, starting out, the R2k saving will be very welcome as well. 

Thanks! Look, starting out, the R2k saving will be very welcome as well. 

Saving money is always a winner. Now you can invest it in a proper helmet. That's one area you should not skimp on. Cheapest is not best when it comes to helmets. Trust me on this. I spent a week in hospital with severe concussion after falling on my pip. 5 years later (this week in fact) I am still getting post concussive syndrome moments every now and then.

again, trust me on this. Don't go the cheapest route on a helmet. Save some other place, but not here.