Help needed finding out more about HANSOM

countsabel

Le Turbo 501 Reynoldts frame Ice Blue my first bike R1200 1987, besides for my Western Flyer Bomber.

The Alpina's bright colours I remember from Beneke Cycles (mark and gary) in the south of JHB.

I also remember the BMX era was huge... those chrome Mangooses was big then - 1983/4

I rode an Invader red and chrome.

Vitus was one of the top bikes then.

The frames I remember was Reynoldt 501/525/535/701

Cycling shops in the south was Beneke/Rauti Krog? / Advance Cycles.... aai the good old days....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big H

Is there really nobody that chronicled the history of all the frames we are talking about?

Basil Cohen will be able to give plenty of insight in this topic, as will Gotty Hansen. I have Basil's contact details if anyone wants them. Gotty shouldn't be that hard to track down.

Here's a picture of my Hansom. It's still the picture that the friendly hubber I bought it from sent to me.

My wife and I still have to have our first ride.  She's had our second son two weeks ago to the day. I bought it for social riding. First have to see if it works for us.

Be on the lookout for us in next year's Argus.

20080724_055340_Hansom_Tandem.jpg

• 7 years later...

Hi

I haven't read all the replies so I don't know if you've found out yet.

Hansom Cycles was in fact owned by my grandfather Gotty Hansen (actually Pehr Gotthard Bernhard Hansen). I don't know the full story but I think his factory used to be in Babelegi in Pretoria. He was in a partnership with Ettienne Somerjay, which is where the second part of the name comes from. My grandfather used to be the president of the South African Cycling Federation and is still partially involved in some cycling affairs. He is still alive and well and if you are interested I could put you into contact with him. I'm sure he will appreciate that people still know about his achievements in the cycling world.

:)

I had 2 Hansoms in the 80's. First one was a CS (carbon steel!) with the first shimano index gearing, and the second was a Reynolds 653 with full Shimano 600 groupset. Both were magnificent machines in their day!

Snap..

Also had 2 in the early 80's  Road and track. The road bike was branded a Peugeot, track a Hansom.  Vitus tubing, both were in a gorgeous pearl pink finish.  Sutour Superbe gruppo's.

The fact that Gotty and I share the same surname, made it special for a school kid.

Pics were taken many moons ago..

post-110-0-62108300-1443006363_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-76006000-1443006378_thumb.jpg

Hi

I haven't read all the replies so I don't know if you've found out yet.

Hansom Cycles was in fact owned by my grandfather Gotty Hansen (actually Pehr Gotthard Bernhard Hansen). I don't know the full story but I think his factory used to be in Babelegi in Pretoria. He was in a partnership with Ettienne Somerjay, which is where the second part of the name comes from. My grandfather used to be the president of the South African Cycling Federation and is still partially involved in some cycling affairs. He is still alive and well and if you are interested I could put you into contact with him. I'm sure he will appreciate that people still know about his achievements in the cycling world.

:)

Welcome to BIKEhub.

What would be cool is if you ask your grandfather to write a 'history' of Hansom bikes, that would be fantastic.

Also, is Ettienne Somerjay still around? Perhaps we could ask him too.

This is what happens on Friday in Richmond:

Dear Mr Hansen,
UCI Merit Award
I hope that you are well.
One of the most important items on the agenda for the annual UCI Congress is the awarding of the UCI Merit Award which recognises individuals who have made a real difference to global cycling.
I am absolutely delighted to say that the UCI Management Committee has, following the proposal from ACC President Dr Wagih Azzam and supported by myself, decided to award you the UCI Merit Award in recognition of your tremendous contribution to the development of cycling in South Africa, the CAC region and indeed around the world. The UCI is particularly grateful for your work as a Chief Commissaire, Springboks team manager and President of the South African Cycling Federation.
On behalf of the UCI, please accept my sincere thanks and congratulations on this thoroughly well deserved recognition.
It would be a tremendous honour for me to present you with this fitting award at the 2015 UCI Congress in Richmond, United States on and I very much hope to see you on Friday 25th September.

My first "proper" roadbike was a Hansom Le Turbo, bought from a friend of a friends, friend. :whistling:

Was a good size or two too big for me, and did not ride it too long, before purchasing a more modern bike that did fit me.

The Hansom was properly specced, Brookes Saddle, Wolber Wheels, 8sp Dura ace groupo with Biopace chainrings. Was led to believe that it was used by a Pro on the local circuit, amongst others the Rapport Tour. Unconfirmed, though, but looking at the specs quite possible

Later on sold it to a hubber who collected bikes of that era.

I have a Hansom in my garage. When I saw this thread I though I should take some photos and post them - see below.

I bought it 2nd hand for R350 in about 2002 when I decided to try out cycling. I rode a few Argus tours on it before upgrading. My son rode it for a while and did the Argus on it too. Although it is a rigid frame and currently wearing slick tyres, it is a "mountain bike" - the frame will accomadate > 2" wide tyres. It also has an eliptic chainring as discussed above.

I have been wondering what to do with it. Maybe fit some cyclocross style tyres and turn it into a gravel grinder / commuter. It is very scratched, corroded and weighs about 15kg. So it is never going to be a competitive bike and probably not worth a big investment.

If anybody can provide any information as to it's history, I would be very grateful.

post-45898-0-71242700-1443110604_thumb.jpgpost-45898-0-35746800-1443110662_thumb.jpgpost-45898-0-35249300-1443111286_thumb.jpgpost-45898-0-42725900-1443111318_thumb.jpgpost-45898-0-58269800-1443111008_thumb.jpgpost-45898-0-26794200-1443111268_thumb.jpgpost-45898-0-68284700-1443111286_thumb.jpg

Was at the Bellville veledrome a few years ago at a event and talking to this old fellow while the racing was happening. As I get up to leave I shake his hand to say goodbye and ask his name and he says Gotty. My ears go up like a Rottweiler being called for dinner. "Sorry what is your last name?" I ask, Hansen he answers. Needless to say I sit my ash staight down and we talk for another hour about his great bikes and memories.I still thought to myself I could sit around a fire and listen to his stories all night. What a fantastic kind man he is and so very humble.

My first bike and what led me to racing was a Hansom 531 with Shimano 600 with Biopace

Yeah I had a Hansom 501 as my first 'real' race bike. Had *** Simplex gears, was way too big for me as a 58cm frame, and it was a vile yellow and white. Loved that bike long time.

Subsequently had a few Zinis, Le Turbos, a red Alpina 531p, a Exocet (which broke), a Peugeot Classique which Wally Flint at Jowett's helped me out with, a Colnago Master, a Colnago Tecnos, and god knows how many Cannondales and other assorted things over the years.