Bike on plane..Kulula

Dun Man

Anyone have experience of Mtb on plane? Mate of mine reckon that I should just bubblewrap the parts that could get hurt like rear der but to keep bike open, reasoning being that if the bike is in box or bag, it gets handled like shyte. Any recommendations?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dun Man <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I just went overseas with 2 bikes. I had one in a bike box and one in a cardboard bike box that I got from a cycle shop. Both bikes made the trip and survived.

Rather put your bike in a box and tape it up. Go to the bike shop and ask for a new bike box, they usually have in the back if they build-up new bikes to sell. Ask for the spacers for your forks when you take the wheels of and the wrapping that the original bike in the box came with. 

Take your pedals of and maybe your rear derailleur, just unscrew it and wrap it up so that it doesn't scratch your frame during transit.

I flew SAA national and international and didn't have any problem. I got charged R200 per bike national and R250 per bike international.

Get yourself a Scicon case...

Or just make sure your insurance payments are up to date.

I've just taken my road bike on SAA.  Just bubble wrapped the jockey, the top tube and my handle bars.  I went and spoke to the guys as they were loading it into the cargo and my bike is fine and dandy - no damage.

On national flights it's enough to bubble wrap the bike a bit. Perhaps take the pedals of, handle bar square and off you go!

Yip. Keep the bike whole and have the staff push it into the cargo section. Put in in a box and watch them throw it in!

haha, exactely - have someone observing them throwing the bike in. That gives you a much better feeling LOL

Yip. Keep the bike whole and have the staff push it into the cargo section. Put in in a box and watch them throw it in!

agree, leave the bike as whole as possible. went to Europe. CT - Jhb - Rome - Marseille. and then back. i just bubble wrapped the tubing. unscrewed the derailleur and turned the handle bars square and taped it  onto the top tube. at checkin the staff came and fetched the bike and wheeled away to be loaded. first in and first out (bike was always the 1st item onto the rotissary).

agree' date=' leave the bike as whole as possible. went to Europe. CT - Jhb - Rome - Marseille. and then back. i just bubble wrapped the tubing. unscrewed the derailleur and turned the handle bars square and taped it  onto the top tube. at checkin the staff came and fetched the bike and wheeled away to be loaded. first in and first out (bike was always the 1st item onto the rotissary).
[/quote']

when flying overseas I would definitely go for the box - where else can you store all the extra luggage? LOL

Travlled on SAA locally with my bike, just bubble wrapped the frame.

They allowed me to take it off the plane at both stops,  no problem.

Make sure to let the air out of your tyres.

Travlled on SAA locally with my bike' date=' just bubble wrapped the frame.

They allowed me to take it off the plane at both stops,  no problem.

Make sure to let the air out of your tyres.
[/quote']

why would you do that?

The air expands and can cause the tyre to burst.

Apparently there was an incident some time ago when even the passengers heard two explosions and thought that the plane was in trouble. Only on landing did they find out what it was. Of course both tyres were torn beyond use.

The air expands and can cause the tyre to burst.

Apparently there was an incident some time ago when even the passengers heard two explosions and thought that the plane was in trouble. Only on landing did they find out what it was. Of course both tyres were torn beyond use.

oh yeah, the air expands and the tyre bursts...does that happen before the beerbottles explode, your shaving foam container bursts, the deodorant can makes boom and the dogs eyes puff out?

unless your tyres are inflated to the very max you don't need to deflate them. the cargo holds are pressurized (except for some russian transporters Wink)

TheLegend2008-08-05 02:27:18

Yup .......... and my friend who had one ear bitten off by a piecost, held a piece of plastic over the hole in the floor for the entire flight!

agree' date=' leave the bike as whole as possible. went to Europe. CT - Jhb - Rome - Marseille. and then back. i just bubble wrapped the tubing. unscrewed the derailleur and turned the handle bars square and taped it  onto the top tube. at checkin the staff came and fetched the bike and wheeled away to be loaded. first in and first out (bike was always the 1st item onto the rotissary).
[/quote']

when flying overseas I would definitely go for the box - where else can you store all the extra luggage? LOL

A friend of mine recently flew to Europe and at the check-in they forced him to open his bikebox and remove anything that was not bike-related.

They argued that it was not with the bike and thus had to be charged as extra baggage. He then argued that there was bike-related gear in his normal baggage.

They then made him repack his bags at the check-in, swapping everything around so that all his cycling kit etc was in the bike box and the stuff that was in there before was in his suitcase.....bunch of prats!

anyone flown to UK with british airways using a cardboard box for their bike to be packed in? leaving in sept and trying to workout best way to pack bikes