Littering again - bike fight!

Scooterza

I had a little incident this weekend riding on my usual Saturday morning cycle lab outing in Joeys.  As is normal when the big rides come along, the groups grow and often there are guys riding that are not part of the club.  That is no problemo as far as I am concerned PROVIDED they behave themselves. 

There was one guy riding a Raleigh Microsoft Team orange and black carbon bike wearing a yellow and white top and a red giro helmet.  Anyways, I was riding behind this guy and as we came up to Beyers Naude and turned right to go past Toadbury Hall, this guy takes out a goo, sucks it and then drops it. 

To me littering is like a red rag to a bull and ESPECIALLY when we are in a relatively pretty area.  So I stopped, picked up the sachet, rode like mad to catch up with the group again and firmly but politely told the guy that littering was not cool and that the sachet would simply lie there for years and to please not litter.  Anyway, I dropped back and after a while this guy slowed right down and I figured he did this so he could drop his litter out of sight.  During the ride he proceeded to totally ignore the marshals pleas to ride 1 or 2 abreast, often riding way out in the road and in the way of passing motorists. 

On the return journey, true as nuts there is his sachet again.  (I recognised it because the way it had been torn was distinctive.)  So I picked it up again, caught up with him again and asked him a lot more sternly to please not leave his litter lying around.  This guy then says it is not his.  I told him it 100% was his and there was a bit of verbal sparring before I basically rode up to him and shoved this sachet down his shirt!  I felt him throw this sachet at me as I rode away from him and his ride buddy told me I was an idiot but the point had been made. 

Looking back on it now, I admit I lost my cool and I am not comforable with how it all went down but I get so totally Angry when guys do this!  Who do these guys think is going to pick up their trash?!!  I just totally lost it and this guy showed himselt to be a selfish ass who doesn't care about buggering up the environment for others AND he is prepared to lie about it too!  Seriously lacking in backbone!

Please all- let's keep taking people who do this to task and for those of you who do drop your sachets, take a moment to think about what our rides would look like if we all decided to drop our bottles, sachets, peels, packets etc on the side of the road.  Even on a race, I would never drop anything and if you really have to, try to do so within 50m of a hydration station.  That way it is likely to be picked up.  There is enough litter around without making the problem worse. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool' date=' eco-terrorism enters cycling. admire your dedication.[/quote']

Are you suggesting that he be self indulgent? Saw you picking on someone's grammar the other day. Heck, I'm worried that this sentence might get torn to shreds... Confused

cool' date=' eco-terrorism enters cycling. admire your dedication.[/quote']Are you suggesting that he be self indulgent? Saw you picking on someone's grammar the other day. Heck, I'm worried that this sentence might get torn to shreds... Confused

"he be" gee bees? smiley36.gif

no, not at all. i admire someone who has the courage of their convictions. litter is his bugbear, and he acted on it. good for him. he may have anger-management problems - by his (almost) own admission - but, hey... smiley36.gif smiley2.gif

cool' date=' eco-terrorism enters cycling. admire your dedication.[/quote']Are you suggesting that he be self indulgent? Saw you picking on someone's grammar the other day. Heck, I'm worried that this sentence might get torn to shreds... Confused

no, not at all. i admire someone who has the courage of their convictions. litter is his bugbear, and he acted on it. good for him. he may have anger-management problems - by his (almost) own admission - but, hey... smiley36.gif smiley2.gif

OK, if that's the case then I shall apply some prescriptive grammar and suggest that you should have said, "I admire your dedication"... The use of personal pronouns is often overlooked and I am surprised that a man of your standing in the print world would make what one can only describe as a grammatical faux pas. You see, modern English is a language devoid of inflection but it is through the use of personal pronouns that a modicum of sanity prevails and some of this inflection is retained. I'm sure by now you have recognised the error in your ways and are surely mortified at the lambasting I am now dispensing. A trully chastening moment for you I hope...

Pantani2009-03-02 10:07:27

Littering aside, the guy had an Orange & Black Bike, Yellow & White Shirt and Red Helmet...Pantani call style man quick! It's an Emergency Shocked

Littering aside' date=' the guy had an Orange & Black Bike, Yellow & White Shirt and Red Helmet...Pantani call style man quick! It's an Emergency Shocked[/quote']

No, it's OK, he was riding a Raleigh wich is per definition a style free zone!  It's so cynical, it's uber-cool!!!

Littering aside' date=' the guy had an Orange & Black Bike, Yellow & White Shirt and Red Helmet...Pantani call style man quick! It's an Emergency Shocked[/quote']

That sounds like a fashion crime for sure! He should be taken out and put down!

I was in the same group on saturday morning and I heard you speaking to him when he dropped the sachet.He really annoyed a few people up and down the group flying past on the downhills on the outside then barely making it up the climbs.A real twat!   

I hate it when people litter like that. It's not hard to put the used Gu in another pocket.

Scooterza, where do you live? I'll personally supply you with as many frame-pumps as you need to take care of idiots like this.

OK, if that's the case then I shall apply some prescriptive grammar and suggest that you should have said, "I admire your dedication"... The use of personal pronouns is often overlooked and I am surprised that a man of your standing in the print world would make what one can only describe as a grammatical faux pas. You see, modern English is a language devoid of inflection but it is through the use of personal pronouns that a modicum of sanity prevails and some of this inflection is retained. I'm sure by now you have recognised the error in your ways and are surely mortified at the lambasting I am now dispensing. A trully chastening moment for you I hope...

tsk tsk and you were doing so well until that point Wink

Lucky you didn't try and enforce you anti-littering ethos on someone like that swearing chick-poo from last week....