Bike retailer cartel

Jules

The anti-competitive behaviour in this industry didn't start with this supposed meeting nor did it end there. Although' date=' I was surprised at just how overt the anti-compeitive sentiment was when the scandal broke. Just before that meeting we had the winter Hub ride from Midrand. At that ride a Jhb bike shop owner told me about the meeting and specifically mentioned how they are going to *&^% up Chris Willemse Cycles.

But the mafia attitude goes deeper. A well-placed phone call to a supplier with a little implied threat and boom, someone is cut off from supply of this or that. This is particularly aimed at players with an unconventional business model outside the classic retail outlet scenario.

That's one of the reasons online sales have not taken off in SA as it has elsewhere.

It is thus not just a margin issue but an exclusivity issue as well. Now that the case has been taken up by the Commission, I'll be making a submission and I hope I'll get the opportunity to testify.

You'll be amazed at what happens inside this exclusive little club.

[/quote']

You do the ride from MB with Cruzer and myself

Ya, but not in a Mercedes like some people I know.

I suppose I asked for that one....  I did not notice you that day,  although when I organise these things, I tend to become focused on the task and forget about everyone and everything else

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for CRC' date=' they sell more shimano in one day the Cool heat sells in a month. No doubt their unit costs are much lower then the local guys. When you move volumes like they do you dont need to make the same margin either. Its a vicious cycle and they win either way.

[/quote']

one is only but left to ask why ? and dont say demand is not there, because so many people are buying shimano products online from CRC here in SA

if retailers pulled their socks up, they would sell more stock and not have to fix prices... I'd change my chain every month if it didn't cost R600+ every time...

if retailers pulled their socks up' date=' they would sell more stock and not have to fix prices... I'd change my chain every month if it didn't cost R600+ every time...[/quote']

what about suppliers ?

wait till madmarc and porky get hold of this lot

ok, i can imagine the replies i'm gonna get for this post, but here goes...

i feel a little bit hollow after reading some of the stuff here. yes, sure, i should have thought of the consequences of what i did back in september. i won't apologise for it, but i kinda feel a little bad about it. i hate seeing my kids in trouble; i hate seeing anyone in trouble, because i've been in dwang myself. i have gotten to know andrew a bit since the topic first reared its head, and got to like him. i communicated and met fritz and it seemed like he harboured no animosity toward me. nor did i toward him. i posted the minutes, but didn't make judgement on them. it turned into a contentious issue.

want to say now is that i wish neither of them ill, and hope this matter gets sorted out quickly.

holy roller2009-03-05 09:51:34

ok' date=' i can imagine the replies i'm gonna get for this post, but here goes...

i feel a little bit hollow after reading some of the stuff here. yes, sure, i should have thought of the consequences of what i did back in september. i won't apologise for it, but i kinda feel a little bad about it. i hate seeing my kids in trouble; i hate seeing anyone in trouble, because i've been in dwang myself. i have gotten to know andrew a bit since the topic first reared its head, and got to like him. i communicated and met fritz and it seemed like he harboured no animosity toward me. nor did i toward him. i posted the minutes, but didn't make judgement on them. it turned into a contentious issue.

want to say now is that i wish neither of them ill, and hope this matter gets sorted out quickly.

[/quote']

your first reply is .... for a cold one, hopefully we can meet at the local sometime.

Holy, I feel your pain. The question that is going to keep you up at night will be - would you have posted it had you known them before.

The answer I believe is that there are no small crimes. What they did is a crime. Reporting it is a civic duty. Would you have gone to the police if they had comitted murder?

listened to the report on radio - (567/702).

The investigator had alot of info.

Fritz P and AndrewM have been asked to give info to the board.
Slowbee2009-03-05 12:01:34

listened to the report on radio - (567/702).

The investigator had alot of info.

Fritz P and Ali  AndrewM have been asked to give info to the board.

Hmmn, why are they dragging Ali into this??
bruce2009-03-05 12:04:26

Bruce, they mentioned Fritz Pienaar cycles and Cycle Lab as the first point of call in their investigations, saying they have minutes of the meetings that were held to discuss setting margins in line with those found in USA markets (upto 50% margin).

Bruce' date=' they mentioned Fritz Pienaar cycles and Cycle Lab as the first point of call in their investigations, saying they have minutes of the meetings that were held to discuss setting margins in line with those found in USA markets (upto 50% margin).

[/quote']

Ali is Alison Mclean.

Holy, I feel your pain. The question that is going to keep you up at night will be - would you have posted it had you known them before.

The answer I believe is that there are no small crimes. What they did is a crime. Reporting it is a civic duty. Would you have gone to the police if they had comitted murder?

Agreed! bad things happen when good folk do nothing!

Bruce' date=' they mentioned Fritz Pienaar cycles and Cycle Lab as the first point of call in their investigations, saying they have minutes of the meetings that were held to discuss setting margins in line with those found in USA markets (upto 50% margin).

[/quote']

Ali is Alison Mclean.

thanks bruce, will edit my posts. Can you edit the quotes please?