Stripped Ergo lever

Minion

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stripped mine for the second time in its 10-year life just the other day. I replaced the two G-springs (not to be confused with G-strings).

I also took the opportunity to give it a deep clean with my new ultrasound cleaner. It looked almost as good as the one in this photo.

The G-springs are those two little springs in the second row from the top, second from the right. They're on either side of the spring retainer (round thing between them). On their right is the ratchet. This can be replaced from 8-9-11 speed and is all you need to make your old 8 or nine-speed ergo an 11-speed model.

Also, the two springs wear out and flatten where they work against the ratched. That is noticeable when your Ergo loses its click. New springs (cost R14 each...maybe even for two, can't remember) and are relatively easy to replace. Except as someone says, you need three hands. I disagree, four, each equipped with fine steel pinchers would be better. 

You can see this is a Record or Chorus lever by the ball bearings. Lower end ones have bushes.

Ed, is this yours you took apart?

I've been thinking of doing a demonstration on Ergo G-spring replacement.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll schedule it.

This is a second hand '02-ish lever that I got from Ox_Wagon and stripped for cleaning. I've now re-assembled it and stripped the right lever. I'll post some left-right comparisons pics when I've cleaned it.

This is the first time I've completely stripped one. I've previously stripped the back end of a new '07 Record lever, but was a bit hesitant to completely dismember it at the time.

Edman2009-06-08 01:27:16

This reveals a lot about your character. You stripped an Ergo just to clean it. Do you take your car seats out to vacuum it? Wink

I think the lever is older than 02. The first ones had aluminium brake levers and by 1999 (maybe 2000) that also went carbon. The shift lever also went carbon (fibre-reincorced plastic actually, with a carbon-look sticker on) but was a flop. They broke at the hinge. I replaced mine with aluminium shift levers. I'm sure the new ones are better.

This one is in very good condition and has seen very little use.

Johann, when are you gonna start making tutorial videos like biketutor.com or the ones you had on Supercyclelab.

Johann' date=' when are you gonna start making tutorial videos like biketutor.com or the ones you had on Supercyclelab.[/quote']

Right after I've:

Painted the kitchen ceiling

Drained the Koi pond (who invented these things)

Sorted the garden

Fixed the Interkom

Fix the leaking tap

Mowed the lawn...after planting it.

Go the business ticking over nicely.

etc etc.

In the YouTube era I have no clue how you make money out of tutorial videos.

Edman's nice photo shows the bewildering collection of parts in an Ergo lever. Yet, the unit is relatively simple and elegant. The best part is that it can be serviced by anyone with some patience and a modest toolkit.

The service parts are also dirt cheap, comprising two G-springs and occasionally the spring retainer itself (the silver ring between the two springs in Ed's photo).

Usualy it is just the springs that are worn. Here's a photo of two springs, a worn one in the foreground and a new one in the background. Those are mm increments on a ruler on the right.

20090608_021546_ergo.jpg

The wear on the spring is where it  clicks into recesses in the ratchet ring. Look at the silver bit on the front spring. If you look carefully you may note that the round spring is a little bit flattened there. That wear takes away the tactile and audible "click" when shifting. Although the Ergo then still shifts OK, we make mistakes 'cause we like to feel and hear the click.

I've been thinking of doing a demonstration on Ergo G-spring replacement.

If anyone is interested' date=' let me know and I'll schedule it.

[/quote']

I'm keen, provided it doesn't clash with any races.

Are the G-Springs available over the counter at any bike shop or do you have to know someone that knows someone to buy them for you?

This reveals a lot about your character. You stripped an Ergo just to clean it. Do you take your car seats out to vacuum it?

You're supposed to vacuum your car seats?Shocked I thought the layer of dust added extra insulation.

You should be able to get G-springs from your LBS. The only problem comes if they don't have stock; then you have to wait for our wonderful local Campag importers. Top Tip: buy the springs before you strip the lever.

Edman2009-06-08 05:15:42

Yes, you can disassemble them completely...

20090607_140253_Ergo_Lever_003_.jpg

What we need here is patience, and early exposure to Meccano! But agree that Campy's serviceability must be a virtue.Thumbs%20Up