Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Found this pile of vintage metal on the weekend. I'm negotiating to get access to it......

Hansom, Zini, Alpina, Peugeot, Bridgestone and Pinarello.....

Wow.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this pile of vintage metal on the weekend. I'm negotiating to get access to it......

Lucky you. Don't bite off more than you can chew - get some hubbers in to help you digest the find. :whistling:

lovely bike with the flight on it.

The Hercules Resurrection

This bike belongs to my 12 year old son. He got it from his grandfather, my father in law, who got it from his father who, we recon, bought it new somewhere in the late 1920s. It was his daily transport. In the 1980s my father in law did 1 Argus on it and since then it just collected dust and rust in the garage. It was handed down to my son because he carries the original owners' name.

Initially the idea was to restore it ourselves, but we soon realized that the work needed was way beyond our capabilities and we decided to take it to Jared at BMC in Salt River, Cape Town. It turned out a true labour of love for him and the end result bears testimony to that.

I'll start with the "before" pictures and post the " during" and "after" ones over the next few days. Enjoy The Hercules Resurrection!

post-17716-0-68470300-1370505689_thumb.jpg

The fork was bent back and down-tube bent and cracked in a crash that happened in the 1950s. My father in law says he got a hiding for riding into the back of someones' car.

post-17716-0-64586400-1370506728_thumb.jpg

The rear end carries a home made number plate. The BM stands for Belville Municipality. Back then all bikes were registered and you had to buy a yearly licence.

post-17716-0-63557800-1370506974_thumb.jpg

The bike was completely stripped, the fork bent back and an attempt was made to bend the down-tube and braze the crack. Jared decided that a better fix would be to cut the stuffed down-tube out and to weld in one from a donor bike. (Pictures from BMC)

post-17716-0-25296700-1370510693_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-24630400-1370510872_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-91514000-1370510891_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-66492800-1370510908_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

The bike was completely stripped, the fork bent back and an attempt was made to bend the down-tube and braze the crack. Jared decided that a better fix would be to cut the stuffed down-tube out and to weld in one from a donor bike. (Pictures from BMC)

Fantastic! Keep the pictures coming.

The frame was stripped of all paint and got its new undercoat and topcoat. Jared also added a beautifully understated pinstripe to the frame as well as the fenders before covering it all with a clear coat. I'm sure lots and lots of elbow grease went into the frame preparation. The result is perfect! (Pictures from BMC)

post-17716-0-80935900-1370518496_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-99545300-1370518511_thumb.jpg

The stripping and re-chroming took a long time. It is amazing how much chrome went onto bikes back then. This is how the once rusty bits looked with their new coat of chrome. (Picture from BMC)

post-17716-0-67209800-1370518903_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

The frame was stripped of all paint and got its new undercoat and topcoat. Jared also added a beautifully understated pinstripe to the frame as well as the fenders before covering it all with a clear coat. I'm sure lots and lots of elbow grease went into the frame preparation. The result is perfect! (Pictures from BMC)

Wow. The new paint looks amazing..

Before re-assembly started, all the races of the BB, Headset and pedals were re-surfaced on a lathe and all bearings replaced and re-built. All replacement bolts are stainless steel. (Pictures from BMC)

post-17716-0-48051900-1370519207_thumb.jpg

The stripping and re-chroming took a long time. It is amazing how much chrome went onto bikes back then. This is how the once rusty bits looked with their new coat of chrome. (Picture from BMC)

Looks amazing.

Just out of interest, who did the re-chroming?