Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please show more pics of the RIH. Is it for sale?

Hey hey Steve I asked HeartCoppi before if he would sell that Rih track bike!

One of my regrets in my life, selling that bike...

It was my privalage today to see the copper Battaglin today at the cradle. It is beautifull machine! Nicework EvanB. (Daccordi 95)

Thanks she is lovely, glad her new owner is riding her

More...

Looks very similar to the Miyata Fullpro-A. Some minor differences though (cable routing on top tube, seat clamp bolt location, fork panto). I can't quite see from the picture, does your frame use the oval fit seatpost? Awesome frame regardless and definitely at the high(est) end of the AX lineup. 

That serial number on the BB shell is similar to mine. And a lot of other unidentified frames with this AX groupset. Haven't managed to find any meaning to it yet, but keep landing up at the Lotus bikes page. They also had a lineup of AX equipped bikes to make things that much more confusing..  :mellow:

Thanks Badsam

I have scoured the lotus pages as well and agree to the differences you note. Don't know about a fork crown panto though?

Yes it is a teardrop shape seat post and I have the ax seat post and blue gasket. She also runs on super Aeros laced with hoshi's.

Although I've plenty of DA ax stems I don't have ax bars. However this bike has Nitto aero bars and a very special Nitto stem, which suit the bike beautifully. Nos hoods and levers are in hand as well as pedals and straps. Also have two of those plastic magafters that cover the headset although you'll note a lovely aero and rare tange headset.

Once I find the elusive kashimax aero in black... I'll move to respray. And only then.

Bugger is that Miyata spray job is going to be whole lot more than a single colour with Shimano aero decals set.

Edited by HeartCoppi

Hey guys. I’ve been looking for a early 90s Record front derailleur for my somec but haven’t found anything yet. I have found a 2007 Chorus derailleur, will it be compatible? The Record groupset is 9 speed and the Chrous derailleur is 10 speed. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Front derailleurs are not a problem

Hey guys. I’ve been looking for a early 90s Record front derailleur for my somec but haven’t found anything yet. I have found a 2007 Chorus derailleur, will it be compatible? The Record groupset is 9 speed and the Chrous derailleur is 10 speed. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Edited by EvanB

attachicon.gifIMG_0704.jpg

Just refurbished this Battaglin for a very cool guy in Cape Town

Man, I am so exited about this.  :clap:

To anyone that wants to start a project like this, I can recommend EvenB.

Man he is meticulous, very thorough and has gone to great lengths to make this happen.

Many thanx my friend.   

Edited by B20

Any updates or photos from erioca SA 2018

I have a lot of pictures, and I'll post in the Eroica thread when I manage to work through it and write a little ride report, but for now, I'll post the most unusual things I came across:

Cantilever brakes and a derailleur system like I've never seen before. Does anyone know what they are called? From what era? I briefly spoke to the owner, but before I could get much detail, we started and that was the last I saw of him. 

post-17716-0-63006000-1521395406_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-97859700-1521395423_thumb.jpg

The Orange Explosion

A 1989 Alpina restoration for Daniel

A bicycle should be a very personal thing! Much like a horse and a rider must have a connection on a deeper level in order to bring out the best in both, a rider and his bike must fit! Not just in size, but also in style, maybe even in personality? 

After the 2017 Eroica South Africa, it was clear that Daniel would need a better classic bicycle if we wanted to ride the longer distances. Davids LeJeune is currently doing stellar duty as a daily commuter and Daniel will need something similar to ride to class next year. That is why I kept an eye on the classifieds for a good solid old South African made racing bike from the heydays of our local frame building. I didn’t want anything too terribly exotic or valuable, but still wanted something with a bit of character, class and history.

After searching a bit, we bought a 1989 steel Alpina, in orange and gunmetal. What attracted Daniel was surely the bright dayglow orange front (orange is his favourite colour). Cosmetically it was a bit of a mess. The paint was scratched all over and someone had poorly repaired it with non-matching colours paint. It looked particularly bad on the orange parts. The paint appeared very soft and easily damaged. The decal stickers were badly scuffed and had in parts been repaired with cut outs made of white electrical insulation tape. What was very good, was that it had no rust and the frame was straight as an arrow with no dings or structural damage. All components were present with everything mechanical in serviceable condition.

post-17716-0-37146100-1521826191_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-44186500-1521826206_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-47302300-1521826222_thumb.jpg

The Plan

We decided to strip the frame completely and respray it from scratch, seeing that it was in such poor condition and not a valuable or rare collectable. Besides, Daniels’ neat-and-tidy streak dictated that! The basic classic 1980s period look of contrasting bright front and drab rear was very striking indeed and we decided to keep that, but to add a touch or two of our own. Daniel didn’t like the faded border between the colours, so very typical of many a 1980s spray job. He will readily admit to suffering from a mild dose of obsessive compulsive disorder! His personality and preferences are hopelessly too precise to tolerate such a “sloppy” design, so it was decided to make the borderline between the colours razor sharp and to add a bit more orange to the top tube.
We looked at similar colours and colour combinations and saw that a truly old South African icon, our ex South African Airforce Harvard trainer planes from the same era, were painted in a scheme called “Normal  Dayglo”.  Why, I cannot tell you, because there is nothing normal about that particular orange. Perhaps it refers to the natural, or “normal” grey aluminium colour of the rest of the old plane. The Dayglo part is the brightest colour imaginable, and I suppose that if it could make a plane visible in the sky, for safeties sake, then it will make Daniel on his bike more visible when he uses it to commute to class. I reckon that on a sunny day he is going to blind some spy satellites, let alone taxi drivers!

post-17716-0-04732900-1521826513_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR