2010 Argus Cycle Tour & Giro del Capo

Drinks@Brawn

Dear Virgo

Just relax, Take it easy. The road is hilly but if you can keep an easy pace? The down hills will help?

From which area are you from? Give you a local example.  

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning - any ideas on what /where the end is lekely to be? We will be less than 90 days from 2010.

on areas of the stadium, if not inside the stadium. finish will be in

Green Point. almost the same as this year just less sand and cleaner. 

YES, I have riden the TOUR twice every year since 2003. Missed 2008, I was overseas. Do not forget 2004 when I rode three times in your allocatted 12hours. Does not matter how you try and race, do a Personal Best on the first lap. Your body knows what is ahead and mentally you leave enough in the tank for later. 

Dear Virgo

Just relax' date=' Take it easy. The road is hilly but if you can keep an easy pace? The down hills will help?

From which area are you from? Give you a local example.  
[/quote']

I'm currently in Mosselbay - used to stay in Bfn, Pta and worked in Jhb too.

I appreciate any help.

Guest colonel

Im already feeling the Flu coming on for the Argus I hope it doesnt affect my time....

Good question!

Anybody doing the double' date=' does it affect your performance?

[/quote']

double ?

Going round the course twice Slowbee...

Would love to be fit and fast enough one day to do that...

Get value for money by stopping at all the water / Coke points which you miss the first time round. Smile

Perhaps I should try 1?; i.e. take the short cut from Fishhoek to Sun valley on the second loop.

aaah thought so.

Does that mean everyone will pay two entries ?

oh yes ML how is the mrs doing with the team?

oh yes ML how is the mrs doing with the team?

Confused mrs & team ???

Must be confusing me with somebody else...

Embarrassed

not again   .....

Any pointers for a newbie cyclist and first-time Argus-rider?

Great - go for it!

(2010 will be my 3rd Argus. So I am still fairly new to it. In 2008 i finished 16000th on a old 'n borrowed bike, 2009 i finished 8200th on my own road bike and for 2010 i want to stick to that trend line i.e. doing some hard training ...)

Training: Enjoy the cycling and aim for TITS (time in the saddle) and not speed or distance. Do most of the training before Xmas so that your body can get used to it. Join a cycling club/group and learn from them while you have fun. Learn how to ride in a group. Learn how to ride a long hill without "killing yourself". Start to do local races - start easy (30km; 50km; 100km, hill race). Do a seeding race (Die Burger 29th Nov09) Do your hardest training (peaking) +-2 or 3 weeks before the Argus; do hardley any riding the week before the race!

The bike - change nothing during the last 2 months before the Argus. get it serviced before the race. keep the tire pressure high, etc.

During the Argus - take it easy, start slow, join a small bunch that ride your speed, chat, NB: stay to the left of the road (so the faster riders can overtake you safely on the right) and never change your line as you might bump into someone ... Eat some energy stuff every 15-25km, have a sip of your (not too sweet) drink every +-10min - drink/eat before you become thirsty or hungry!! Eat a big/mixed/easy breakfast early in the morning, plus take some food 'n extra drink to have while you wait in your starting pen.

It is one big carnival and you will be overtaken by 1000's of cyclists and you in turn will also overtake a few 1000's cyclists.

Oh yes - go to the toilet before you start the race (at the starting pens)! You do not want to find a bush while 5000 cyclist ride past you and the helicopter camera zooms onto you ;)

It is great - enjoy it!
PeterM2009-09-07 03:03:10

Great - go for it!

(2010 will be my 3rd Argus. So I am still fairly new to it. In 2008 i finished 16000th on a old 'n borrowed bike' date=' 2009 i finished 8200th on my own road bike and for 2010 i want to stick to that trend line i.e. doing some hard training ...)

Training: Enjoy the cycling and aim for TITS (time in the saddle) and not speed or distance. Do most of the training before Xmas so that your body can get used to it. Join a cycling club/group and learn from them while you have fun. Learn how to ride in a group. Learn how to ride a long hill without "killing yourself". Start to do local races - start easy (30km; 50km; 100km, hill race). Do a seeding race (Die Burger 29th Nov09) Do your hardest training (peaking) +-2 or 3 weeks before the Argus; do hardley any riding the week before the race!

Anyone know, can One stil enter for this?

mabe not a bad Idea, get that G moved up to a B or a C perhaps..

The bike - change nothing during the last 2 months before the Argus. get it serviced before the race. keep the tire pressure high, etc.

During the Argus - take it easy, start slow, join a small bunch that ride your speed, chat, NB: stay to the left of the road (so the faster riders can overtake you safely on the right) and never change your line as you might bump into someone ... Eat some energy stuff every 15-25km, have a sip of your (not too sweet) drink every +-10min - drink/eat before you become thirsty or hungry!! Eat a big/mixed/easy breakfast early in the morning, plus take some food 'n extra drink to have while you wait in your starting pen.

It is one big carnival and you will be overtaken by 1000's of cyclists and you in turn will also overtake a few 1000's cyclists.

Oh yes - go to the toilet before you start the race (at the starting pens)! You do not want to find a bush while 5000 cyclist ride past you and the helicopter camera zooms onto you ;)

It is great - enjoy it!
[/quote']

Great - go for it!

(2010 will be my 3rd Argus. So I am still fairly new to it. In 2008 i finished 16000th on a old 'n borrowed bike' date=' 2009 i finished 8200th on my own road bike and for 2010 i want to stick to that trend line i.e. doing some hard training ...)

It is great - enjoy it!
[/quote']

Thanks PeterM - lots of good tips - really appreciate it. Especially the last part about the helicopter - hahahaEmbarrassed

Best of luck to increase your positioning too!

Only been cycling for six months - started at a LOW base,  but I aim high ;-)

Dear Virgo

You said you are in Mossel Bay, nice rolling hills around Great Brak river.

Peter M posted some important tips, right know you need to spend lots of time in the saddle. Road or MTB will not make too much difference for you. Ride easy gears, like you are on a tour through the country side.

Training should not go over 50% of your max HR. Stick to about 15 to 25km speed with a ave distance of 30km 3 times a week, try and commute. Even riding to the shop for bread and milk.

Do not try too much, ride a couple of kms when tired stop or go back home. The farster your body can recover, from yersterdays 10km the more fitter your body gets with stamina and endurance.

Remember is this a sport or a lifestyle? Enjoy the ride.